First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Just my take on this is, Ford is walking a tightrope to offer as many options as possible and still keep within EPA standards for the total group ratings for MPG. Don’t expect to many larger power plants as this adds to their financial penalties for not meeting targets.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Just my take on this is, Ford is walking a tightrope to offer as many options as possible and still keep within EPA standards for the total group ratings for MPG. Don’t expect to many larger power plants as this adds to their financial penalties for not meeting targets.
I tend to agree. The Ranger Raptor if to comes with the 3.0 will possibly be a limited production vehicle for this reason, as well as drive the price up.

I guess I'm getting old, but I find it hard to understand this crazed obsession with more horsepower and Torque in the US. Seems like a my truck is bigger than your truck kind of thing. Is it really necessary to go 5mph on a trail?

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I tend to agree. The Ranger Raptor if to comes with the 3.0 will possibly be a limited production vehicle for this reason, as well as drive the price up.

I guess I'm getting old, but I find it hard to understand this crazed obsession with more horsepower and Torque in the US. Seems like a my truck is bigger than your truck kind of thing. Is it really necessary to go 5mph on a trail?
I think it’s just coming from consumers wanting every vehicle to be almost everything to everyone instead of just picking a vehicle that really meets their needs. In other words they want something like a Bronco that’s really fast, tows a lot, is quiet, handles like a car, big cargo capacity etc etc. just look at some of the complaints on the bronco forum about roof rack capacity, towing capacity, cargo space in a door door off-road toy.

Manufacturers try hard to meet this as reviewers are also unrelentingly demanding. What we get are over powered, over priced, and oversized vehicles across the board.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think it’s just coming from consumers wanting every vehicle to be almost everything to everyone instead of just picking a vehicle that really meets their needs. In other words they want something like a Bronco that’s really fast, tows a lot, is quiet, handles like a car, big cargo capacity etc etc. just look at some of the complaints on the bronco forum about roof rack capacity, towing capacity, cargo space in a door door off-road toy.

Manufacturers try hard to meet this as reviewers are also unrelentingly demanding. What we get are over powered, over priced, and oversized vehicles across the board.
I agree that is the want. There never has been and never will be that vehicle because no two people will ever agree on anything. Look at the thread complaining about how the cruise control works, the location of the buttons, the shape and size of the buttons. Every car I've ever owned has had things that were different. Some worked really well for me, some not so much. For someone else their likes and dislikes will be different. But they work and do the job. You get use to them because you can't change them. Not worth complaining about them.

This bigger motor, more horsepower, more torque thing seems different though. It's more of status, chest pounding, bragging kind of thing. Not just an "I need this to do what I need to do."

OP
OP

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I guess I'm getting old, but I find it hard to understand this crazed obsession with more horsepower and Torque in the US.
This crazed obsession has been going on since the inception of the automobile. It's nothing new. It's never stopped.

This bigger motor, more horsepower, more torque thing seems different though. It's more of status, chest pounding, bragging kind of thing. Not just an "I need this to do what I need to do."
I'll take as much HP as I can get (and afford). It's got nothing to do with "status". I just like HP. Used safely, it can be a ton of fun! Wanting more HP is no different than wanting power windows. Nobody needs either.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I agree that is the want. There never has been and never will be that vehicle because no two people will ever agree on anything. Look at the thread complaining about how the cruise control works, the location of the buttons, the shape and size of the buttons. Every car I've ever owned has had things that were different. Some worked really well for me, some not so much. For someone else their likes and dislikes will be different. But they work and do the job. You get use to them because you can't change them. Not worth complaining about them.

Some people here Drag Race and Autocross …

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Some people here Drag Race and Autocross …
Fine then build your race car. Do an engine swap. Don't ask Ford to do it for you and make a model out it. That's the way it use to be done.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Fine then build your race car. Do an engine swap. Don't ask Ford to do it for you and make a model out it. That's the way it use to be done.
There now You’ve had the Last Word…
”Egomaniacs always have to have the last word. It gives them a feeling of power, as if they immediate draw all of the power of the person they are communicating with and become powerful due to it.”[/QUOTE]

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
There now You’ve had the Last Word…
”Egomaniacs always have to have the last word. It gives them a feeling of power, as if they immediate draw all of the power of the person they are communicating with and become powerful due to it.”
[/QUOTE]

7EB3A095-2173-46E6-94B5-FCBA2499F8C3.jpeg

HBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I thought that’s what the Tremor is for?
As much as people like to believe here, a Tremor is no way comparable to a ZR2 or TRD Pro (evenmore so with the 2022 changes) IMO. It's a glorified FX4 like others mentioned.

And as far as engine options go I think it'll be a PHEV 2.3L EB for the standard/Tremor version and the 3.0L EB for the Raptor. I don't see them adding any other choices.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I'd trade mine in for a 2wd 3.0 in less than a heartbeat !!!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
There is an easy way to add horsepower, and every hot rodder knows about it.....
Just add chrome, chrome adds horsepower, ie. more chrome, more horsepower.
Oh yeah, a pair of fuzzy dice won't hurt either.
Sponsored