Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
Hey guys,

Been lurking on the site for about a year and picked up a lot of info here before my purchase. Went into the test drive looking for all the common issues discussed on the site. Even though I found some I still bought one. Picking her up Saturday morning. Thought I’d share some observations from the trucks I test drove. Test drove the second one to confirm what I noticed on the truck I wanted to purchase.

1. Both had the low speed shudder

2 Both felt a bit busy on the street, like I was on pebbles but then smoothed out on the highway. Lowered the tire pressure but it was still there.
I wonder if it was just flat spots in the tires.

3 While I didn’t have any issue with brake feel or engagement. No mushiness. Both had a shudder once it was coming to a stop.

4 Checked the oil after the drive on both and both had the faint smell of fuel.

5 Both had a faint tranny whine

That’s about it. If it wasn’t for this forum I wouldn’t have bought one. I guess what I’m trying to say is the issues seem common on these trucks. Otherwise the motor felt great along with the tranny. It handled well and felt well built minus the common quirks.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Welcome to the club! If anything I can give you information on the small trany wine. I have really noticed it with mine when I'm off roading and I'm in the low gears between first and second. Sometimes third as well. If anything it is normal and nothing to be too concerned with. As for the busyness you're talking about most likely has to do with the alignment. I'm not 100% positive on this for the factory suspension but when I installed my lift kit from old man emu I had to have myself sitting in the driver's seat with the steering wheel straight in order to set the toe. Why you might ask? Well let's just say the Springs were soft enough that it would cause toe to go out when my fat ass would get in the truck LOL.

Hope this info helps.

OP
OP
Silverfox

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
I wonder if the shudder is a screw vs scab thing because my buddy with a scab doesn’t have it either

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I wonder if the shudder is a screw vs scab thing because my buddy with a scab doesn’t have it either
Coincidental.
All the same drivetrain part numbers, wheelbase etc.
Only differences in any new ranger drivetrain is 2wd or 4wd.

OP
OP
Silverfox

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
I thought they would have had the wrinkles ironed out by now.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
The tranny whine is the nature of the beast. The wife's 2018 10 spd Mustang has whined since day 1, and has no problems.

OP
OP
Silverfox

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
The fact that the vast majority of owners don’t have the shudder. Yet a fairly sizeable amount do.(At least one YouTube review mentioned it and both trucks I drove had it) Points to either most driver’s don’t know it’s there because it’s almost imperceptible or it is only some,which should be any easy fix.(small misalignment in the driveshaft for example)

OP
OP
Silverfox

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
whats it called when you tell yourself something so often you believe its true when it really isn't?

Im starting to wonder if this is starting to happen with alot of the Rangers "problems"
Delusional

but I know what I felt

SeattleJohnC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Project Manager
Hey guys,

Been lurking on the site for about a year and picked up a lot of info here before my purchase. Went into the test drive looking for all the common issues discussed on the site. Even though I found some I still bought one. Picking her up Saturday morning. Thought I’d share some observations from the trucks I test drove. Test drove the second one to confirm what I noticed on the truck I wanted to purchase.

2 Both felt a bit busy on the street, like I was on pebbles but then smoothed out on the highway. Lowered the tire pressure but it was still there.

3 While I didn’t have any issue with brake feel or engagement. No mushiness. Both had a shudder once it was coming to a stop.

That’s about it. If it wasn’t for this forum I wouldn’t have bought one. I guess what I’m trying to say is the issues seem common on these trucks. Otherwise the motor felt great along with the tranny. It handled well and felt well built minus the common quirks.
Hello Ed and Welcome!
I purchased my 2020 XLT 4X4 Super Crew in late August. I recently hauled my 2000 pound Helio RV O3 from Seattle to Yellowstone. I crossed two mountain chains including the Tetons......the truck performed amazingly well and I achieved almost 18.5 MPG while towing. I have noticed a slight low speed shudder but it's VERY minor. I feel the ECOBOOST engine performs really well in almost all categories. I am not getting about 22 MPG in the city, stop and go traffic. I haven't checked the oil but I'll do that today. Brakes have never felt mushy for me. I have never noticed a tranny whine.

Hope this helps!
John

OP
OP
Silverfox

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
Picked her up Saturday morning. Took her to the cottage and back as well as some short trips. First off, she looks really good sitting on my driveway.

My wife noticed a ding on the passenger door just as we were about to leave the lot. Dealer called their guy and in 45min it was like nothing happened. The drivers door sill had a bunch of scratches but I let that go. Already have sill plates on order.

The more I drive her it seems the low speed shudder is getting better. Meaning it’s less pronounced. It still has a series of minor stutters when coming to a stop. Feels like the tranny downshifting from 3rd to 2nd to 1st but still does it if I put it in neutral so it can’t be that.

Oil still has faint smell of fuel. I think that may be normal for this motor especially with only 400km on it.

All in all though I’m loving it. Feels solid and has a pretty nice ride for a pickup.

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Xlt Sport 4x4
Occupation
Store Mgr
Hey guys,

What do you mean by shutter... Is it when you start the car and you rev it a little bit you hear a little bit of a strange noise or is it actually a shake when you're driving?

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
The tranny whine is the nature of the beast. The wife's 2018 10 spd Mustang has whined since day 1, and has no problems.
This is good to know. I just noticed this this past weekend and was like... wait... that doesn't sound good. But... apparently it's normal. I've been driving a Tahoe with a 4-speed 4L60E...
Sponsored