Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hi

Originally from England when I retired at the age of 46 I decided to give Thailand a try . after meeting my now Thai wife , Ive lived here in Thailand for over 22 years . Even after all this time some days I still see some thing and think to my self WTF . Overall Thailand is apart from the expat visa situation a great place to live, having said that driving on Thai roads is not some thing to be taken lightly . Once your driving on Thai roads the best option is to instantly assume that all the other road users near you are 8 years old.

I would guess the majority of Ford Ranger trucks sold here are the 4x4 type.

I love the words ‘’ Lady Dudes ‘’ , Ive met many of those and the vast majority were very nice .

Here’s a photograph of 4 young Lady Dudes signing up to join the Thai Army.?

LB1.jpg
I was stationed a Ubon for a year ….

OP
OP
Thaicoon

Thaicoon

Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Double Cab Wildtrak 2.0L Turbo HR 6AT
Occupation
Retired
I don't understand why one would want a misleading label like that. Does it increase the resale value? A run-of-the-mill Ranger is not limited edition. Queen Latifia is not a queen.
Hi

Here locally there’s a bit of one one up man ship between us expats , so to keep things going along any thing we buy has to be ‘’ one up ‘’ on the others. Its not done to deceive any one more like a fun way . When I first had the new Ford Ranger I took it to a local expats club meeting and parked it out front of the bar where the meeting was being held . Of course every expat there wanted to know about my new pickup , I just said it was the new ‘’ Limited Edition ‘’ and only 100 were produced.

On hearing about my wonderful new ‘’ Limited Edition ‘’ Ford Ranger , every one smiled and I claimed the ‘’ one up ‘’ crown ?

OP
OP
Thaicoon

Thaicoon

Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Welcome to the forum @Thaicoon! That is a great looking truck, and I am sure you will get years of enjoyment from it.

I have been to Thailand a number of times for work, and I had some close friends that lived there, too. It is a wonderful country with the kindest people you will ever meet, as I am sure you are aware having lived there for 22 years.

The food is amazing and very cheap by western standards, and the Thai people seem to have a very laid back lifestyle.

Thailand is consistently on the lists of best places for expats to retire with the cheap cost of living and excellent healthcare system and quality of life. You have made a great choice!
Hi

Thailand is a great place to retire to. There are several areas that any one thinking of coming to Thailand long term have to think about. The first is the visa situation . Personally I have whats usually known as a retirement visa ( you have to be 50 years old or older ) and I have to extend that visa every year. The main requirement to obtain that retirement visa are....

Thai Bank Account showing THB 800,000 or
Monthly income of at least THB 65,000 (income affidavit from your embassy in Bangkok) or
Combination (Bank Account + Annual Income = THB 800,000).

The above financial requirements have to be shown every year to enable the yearly visa extension to be granted.

The other long term visa option is if you are officially married to a Thai woman .

The other area that needs thinking about is health insurance . There are many good Thai government hospitals along with top class private hospitals , but for surgery or extended treatment the costs can quickly mount up. Personally I have private health insurance with an international health insurance company called Cigna. The monthly cost for the Cigna health insurance , depending on the Thai Baht exchange rate is around 12,000.00 Baht ( 350 US ?)

OP
OP
Thaicoon

Thaicoon

Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Reactions: Doc

OP
OP
Thaicoon

Thaicoon

Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Welcome @Thaicoon - sharp looking 6G you've got there. Looking forwards to seeing your adventures in Thailand.
Thanks for the welcome , getting up in the mornings and walking out of my front door in the small Thai village where I live , is like starting out on a new daily adventure . Even seeing some one wear a Covid face mask can lead to an adventure ?

FaceMask1.jpg

OP
OP
Thaicoon

Thaicoon

Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Soon after getting my brand new Ford Ranger and knowing how the Thai roads can be crazy . I thought of getting one of these '' stop any damage '' accessories ?

cage-x.jpg

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Hi every one I’m from the LOS ( Land of Smiles ) Thailand and recently purchased my first ever Ford vehicle , a new Ford Ranger Wildtrak .

So I thought I would show you guys a few photographs of my new baby and hopefully join in on other topics at some later time.

I have never before owned a Ford vehicle , I previously owned two vehicles ( one car and one pickup ) that were getting older so it was time to part exchange those two vehicles . I decided that as I live out in a remote small village a pickup was the best choice. I visited all the main dealerships including , Toyota , Mazda , Mitsubishi, Nissan Etc . Out of all the dealerships I went to the ford dealership offered me the best part exchange price for my two old vehicles.

So while at the Ford dealership I wandered around the show room and thats where the Ford Ranger caught my eye , it was a Ford Ranger Wildtrak in Black. Once I sat in side the die was cast and I fell in love . After taking a test drive in the Ford Ranger Wildtrak the deal was done and I became the proud owner of new a metallic snow flake white next generation Ford Ranger Double Cab 2.0L Turbo HR 6AT.

My reason for not choosing a Black version is that where I live there are many dirt roads and in my humble opinion a Black vehicle tends to some how attract road dust fairly quickly , also here in the sunshine a Black painted vehicle seems to hold the outer body heat a bit more than say a White painted version.

The cost of my new Ford Range using the current Thai Baht / US dollar exchange rate was ….

?30,556.36

? Thaicoon

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

R3.jpg
Gorgeous!

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Hi

Thailand is a great place to retire to. There are several areas that any one thinking of coming to Thailand long term have to think about. The first is the visa situation . Personally I have whats usually known as a retirement visa ( you have to be 50 years old or older ) and I have to extend that visa every year. The main requirement to obtain that retirement visa are....

Thai Bank Account showing THB 800,000 or
Monthly income of at least THB 65,000 (income affidavit from your embassy in Bangkok) or
Combination (Bank Account + Annual Income = THB 800,000).

The above financial requirements have to be shown every year to enable the yearly visa extension to be granted.

The other long term visa option is if you are officially married to a Thai woman .

The other area that needs thinking about is health insurance . There are many good Thai government hospitals along with top class private hospitals , but for surgery or extended treatment the costs can quickly mount up. Personally I have private health insurance with an international health insurance company called Cigna. The monthly cost for the Cigna health insurance , depending on the Thai Baht exchange rate is around 12,000.00 Baht ( 350 US ?)

Thanks for the great information! I should look into marrying a Thai woman when I retire, but I’m not sure what my wife will think about it. ?

My wife who has worked for a health insurance company for more than 20 years can get discounted health insurance when we retire for the measly sum of $1100 per month, so $350 per month sounds like a bargain.

OP
OP
Thaicoon

Thaicoon

Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the great information! I should look into marrying a Thai woman when I retire, but I’m not sure what my wife will think about it. ?

My wife who has worked for a health insurance company for more than 20 years can get discounted health insurance when we retire for the measly sum of $1100 per month, so $350 per month sounds like a bargain.

Marrying a Thai woman needs some serious thinking about , generally speaking your not just marrying a Thai woman but also all her close family . Ive lost count at the number of expats
Ive come to meet over the years who stepped on the shore of Thailand and with in a few weeks
they announced that they had met the woman of their dreams and marriage was on the cards

Flang.jpg

OP
OP
Thaicoon

Thaicoon

Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It’s a Paradise for Single People !
Ive never visited Ubon , but relating to being a single man I spent my first 4 years in Thailand living in Pattaya City , now there's a place that was built for making dreams come true ?

Pattaya.jpg

OP
OP
Thaicoon

Thaicoon

Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
yes you should? what is that? roaming Dance hall?

The photographs were sent to me by a friend in Bangkok , as far as I know its some sort of advertising for a bus company .

Red1.jpg

Red2.jpg

Red3.jpg

REd4.jpg

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
The photographs were sent to me by a friend in Bangkok , as far as I know its some sort of advertising for a bus company .

Red1.jpg

Red2.jpg

Red3.jpg

REd4.jpg
@myothercarizahearse , you've got a future in advertising. With as much attention as this thing must get already, just think how much more it would generate with a bunch of dancers throwing a party as it rolls down the streets.

OP
OP
Thaicoon

Thaicoon

Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
@myothercarizahearse , you've got a future in advertising. With as much attention as this thing must get already, just think how much more it would generate with a bunch of dancers throwing a party as it rolls down the streets.

Now this bus company really knows how to advertise their buses ?

B1.jpg
Sponsored