New member from IL

nubzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, Tow Package, FX4
HI Everyone and thanks for the approval to join the forum.

I recently (few weeks now) just picked up a 2020 Ranger Lariat, after upgrading from a 2011 Mazdaspeed3. I swear the engine in the Ranger is very similar to the one in the speed, just a bit more modern and can handle regular instead of only premium.

The main driving force(s) for picking up the Ranger:
1. Having a functional bed for moving stuff around
2. Tow capacity that could pull a small camper

I am located in the Midwest (Chicago suburbs), my wife is on a mission to visit all the US National parks we think picking up a camper now makes the most sense.

I have been lurking for a while now and there is good information here.

Thanks again!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Welcome! You made a great choice and the Ranger can tow a good size camper as many are doing with theirs. We just did a month long trip (no camper) and visited serval National Parks and was a great time. You'll have a blast doing it making memories with your new Ranger. Checkout the towing section and you'll see everyones setups.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/forums/towing.28/

OP
OP

nubzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome! You made a great choice and the Ranger can tow a good size camper as many are doing with theirs. We just did a month long trip (no camper) and visited serval National Parks and was a great time. You'll have a blast doing it making memories with your new Ranger. Checkout the towing section and you'll see everyones setups.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/forums/towing.28/
Yes, there is a lot of good information. Honestly as a person new to towing it is enough to make your head spin.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes, there is a lot of good information. Honestly as a person new to towing it is enough to make your head spin.
I agree! We were looking into buying a travel trailer last year and the amount of info is overwhelming. I use to tow a good size snowmobile trailer when I lived back east but that was with my F150. I haven't towed yet with my Ranger but we're looking at something around 5,000 lbs dry weight max. I've actually started looking at some smaller one like the Geo Pro or the Rockwood 2109S. They seem to be the perfect size and weight and just enough room for a couple to be comfortable in. We put it on hold for now but it does look like the prices are starting to level off and come down some.

There's more good info in the thread below. I just posted a new video there this morning about the RV industry slowing down.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-with-what-manufacturers-are-producing.20798/

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
What's the limit on your credit card? We are here to help you spend money!?. Welcome to the madness. Lots of great people and advice here.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What's the limit on your credit card? We are here to help you spend money!?. Welcome to the madness. Lots of great people and advice here.
There's a new form when you sign up for R5G. You need a minimum $20,000 credit card limit or your membership will be rejected. That should get new members through the first month here. ?

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Welcome, I am also from IL. South burbs to he exact Tinley Park. Happy to be in Phoenix now. Dont have to shovel heat!

Enjoy the ranger, it is a nice truck. Dont forget to ask Dave about a damper. ?

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
We were visiting friends in Geneva over the weekend

OP
OP

nubzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree! We were looking into buying a travel trailer last year and the amount of info is overwhelming. I use to tow a good size snowmobile trailer when I lived back east but that was with my F150. I haven't towed yet with my Ranger but we're looking at something around 5,000 lbs dry weight max. I've actually started looking at some smaller one like the Geo Pro or the Rockwood 2109S. They seem to be the perfect size and weight and just enough room for a couple to be comfortable in. We put it on hold for now but it does look like the prices are starting to level off and come down some.

There's more good info in the thread below. I just posted a new video there this morning about the RV industry slowing down.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-with-what-manufacturers-are-producing.20798/

Max 4500lbs is the magic dry weight I have been trying to stay under. I like the bunkhouse floor plans with the Murphy beds.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Max 4500lbs is the magic dry weight I have been trying to stay under. I like the bunkhouse floor plans with the Murphy beds.
Those are nice units. We only need one that's sleeps 2 so we never looked at the bunkhouse models. I like the Lance with the Murphy bed it's more expensive, the older ones had better quality in them. There's so many choices out there now but it looks like it's best to try and buy pre 2020. Not that they were ever built with great quality but pre 2020 I hear they were a little better than the newer ones.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
HI Everyone and thanks for the approval to join the forum.

I recently (few weeks now) just picked up a 2020 Ranger Lariat, after upgrading from a 2011 Mazdaspeed3. I swear the engine in the Ranger is very similar to the one in the speed, just a bit more modern and can handle regular instead of only premium.

The main driving force(s) for picking up the Ranger:
1. Having a functional bed for moving stuff around
2. Tow capacity that could pull a small camper

I am located in the Midwest (Chicago suburbs), my wife is on a mission to visit all the US National parks we think picking up a camper now makes the most sense.

I have been lurking for a while now and there is good information here.

Thanks again!
Welcome aboard! Camper is a great option, there a lot of fantastic overland builds on here to maximize bed functionality and also look epic. I assume you have 4x4? can you post up more of your specs? Also make sure to chronical and post the trips we love seeing rangers out doing cool stuff
Sponsored