Need help, key fell out while running, anyone else?

Morgangwc

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Hi, started my Ranger yesterday and my key came out after it started and I couldn't get it back in. I was able to shake and wiggle it enough to turn engine off but it's still in ACC. I called dealer and have appointment Monday for repair. Problem is now I can't start it. I had to disconnect battery to shut it off.
Anyone else have this happen to them or know how to get key back in?
Thanks!
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
You mean the switchblade part broke and you have the fob but the key shaft is in the ignition?

OP
OP
Morgangwc

Morgangwc

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Hi and thanks. Nope no one tried to steal it. I just turned the key to start it and it started, when I was removing my hand from fob/key it (the key and fob) just fell out. So the truck was running, key won't go back in more than 1/8th. after trying and trying I finally got it to turn back enough to shut off, but then I couldn't restart because I can't get a full cycle, but it's in the ACC position so radio on. Really strange and I tried for 30-40 mins no luck.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
damn that sounds like a pain! i hope the dealer gets it squared away.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
The little pin on my fob slowly works its way out over time. Usually I notice because it makes the key a little harder to open, so I push it back in. The key on my 2015 Golf did the same thing. I can definitely see how it could get stuck in the ignition if the pin was gone and you didn't notice.
IMG_3677.jpeg

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Did you try turning the steering wheel side to side? Try it w/out the key in the ignition. Then try it with the key in as far as it will go.

On some of the other cars I've had, I could put the key in, but not turn it. Having the key in and shaking the steering wheel would free it up.

Also, have you tried your 2nd key?

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
My key is definitely a little sloppy in the ignition but it hasn’t fallen out yet.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
The little pin on my fob slowly works its way out over time. Usually I notice because it makes the key a little harder to open, so I push it back in. The key on my 2015 Golf did the same thing. I can definitely see how it could get stuck in the ignition if the pin was gone and you didn't notice.
IMG_3677.jpeg
I don't think he is referring to the key detaching from the fob, but falling out of the ignition lock with the truck running. Sounds like a faulty ignition set to me, will need to be replaced and re-keyed.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Funny story. My 97 Ranger ignition was so worn I could pull the key while truck was running. It got so bad that it would sit there and start itself without anyone near the truck. One morning going to work I stuck key in and dead battery. Hmmm later My neighbor told me it was trying to start at 3AM and it kept trying until battery died ? Bought new ignition and door locks so everything matched and drove off into the sunset. Did need a new starter not to long after. I knew that was coming though.

irv0735

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Update: Had it towed to dealer and they are replacing the ignition. None of the techs had seen this happen before.
Seems like the unfortunate, but obvious solution. Something happened in the cylinder to allow the key out when not in the off position. Maybe a defective unit with sloppy tolerances or something. Should be a warranty repair though, hopefully.
Sponsored