First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so i noticed this week that the key comes out of the ignition switch hot. like damn hot. not enough to blister skin but hot enough you do not want to hold it. this cant be a good could sign. came out after work thursday got in truck turned key and nothing but silence. oddly the air bag indicator was on? under the hood the batt terminals were nasty so i got my tool bag out and cleaned them up and made em as tight as i could. i expected it to crank. again nothing. jumped it and she fired right up and drove fine. went to wally world less than a mile from work as the batt had a warranty left only 2 years old. first one would not exchange it for me said no one was working in that dept... :rolleyes: this was the service center manager mind you. i told him id change it myself if he would do the warranty part and he would not do that either. said to park take it to the checkout myself and let customer service exchange it. at that point i decided driving away was a better option. drove to wally world two cities over - hoping the alternator didnt give up lol. went to the next wally world and they were happy to warranty and swap it out free. truck starts up fine now but the transmission seems to shift a bit rough about once a trip, never done that until the battery issue. during the jump process i could hear relays chattering in the panel near the passenger floor. oh i should mention this is in the 4g ranger. last night it shifted strange enough that it almost seemed like the engine cut out for a split second! my 4 g ranger has never had any problems just normal up keep. never had the key come out hot before recently. its the v6 3.0 auto. 141 k on it, edge package with the 4x4 style suspension. im stressing now, the old ranger is my daily. now that the new one is still waiting on repairs the 4g is my only ride to work.
Sponsored

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Sounds like your ignition switch is failing. The heat is cause by high electrical resistance from worn out contacts. I had the same thing happen to my old S10. Truck acted weird and sometimes the key would get hot. The ignition switch on the 4G Ranger is really easy to replace.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
thank you don i hope that is all it is. drove it to work this morning things went well. hopefully the switches are in stock lol.
Sponsored