Navigation Update Process

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
@SILK I didn't actually look when I was in the settings. Maybe it's free on newer vehicles? I had checked for my 2016 escape.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
You can definitely download for free for a ranger. Maybe they'll charge later, but they've probably figured out it just pisses off customers. There's still a ridiculously expensive usb purchase option as well, but I think it's under $50.

OP
OP
2020XLT

2020XLT

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
Thanks to everyone that has replied to my questions... Here is what I have determined today. I stopped by my local Ford dealership to ask my questions to the service manager, he told me my 2020 XLT was up to date on the Sync 3.4, which I already knew, and that I could get a partial update for the navigation maps for $60.00. When I got home, I got online at this link, https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home and added my VIN and ESN# to the screen and determined I could buy a complete update for $40.00 or get a free complementary update. I chose the free update. I have downloaded 2 files to my laptop, which need to be installed on 2 thumb drives. There is also a 12 page instruction to download and print. I will try the upload to the truck in the next few days. Thanks to everyone that replied with their thoughts and suggestions. I will follow up here when I finish and know more.

George

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Thanks to everyone that has replied to my questions... Here is what I have determined today. I stopped by my local Ford dealership to ask my questions to the service manager, he told me my 2020 XLT was up to date on the Sync 3.4, which I already knew, and that I could get a partial update for the navigation maps for $60.00. When I got home, I got online at this link, https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home and added my VIN and ESN# to the screen and determined I could buy a complete update for $40.00 or get a free complementary update. I chose the free update. I have downloaded 2 files to my laptop, which need to be installed on 2 thumb drives. There is also a 12 page instruction to download and print. I will try the upload to the truck in the next few days. Thanks to everyone that replied with their thoughts and suggestions. I will follow up here when I finish and know more.

George
Just be mindful once you begin the process. Very easy to do but the wait for it to finish you could watch paint dry and then the reruns of it again! Lol. Be patient...

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired

George
Be sure to keep the order confirmation email. It has a link that will allow you to download again if necessary. Otherwise, the only option for a subsequent download is to pay for the Ford USB.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
When I bought my 2020 last September I logged into my Ford Owner's account and checked for updates. It said I had both a Sync update and a free map update. Downloaded both to two USB sticks and installed them. The map update took over an hour.
do you have the Sync link? {not the one for Nav. but for other updates]

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life
@SILK
Screenshot_20210414-164819_Gallery.jpg

Is there something I'm missing? I'm not seeing any obvious things on the website that direct me to a download. Without paying that is.

Or were you just being specific by saying you don't have to go to a dealership?
That's crazy. You can buy a Garmin GPS with Lifetime map upgrades for that kind of money.

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
That's crazy. You can buy a Garmin GPS with Lifetime map upgrades for that kind of money.
They've got you stuck with a fixed device that will probably drive most people insane after a while of being useless. My 2016 escape maps are almost useless in my town. There's been so much growth and change that large parts of my city have changed so much the maps are beyond useless.

Fortunately I just use android auto, but not everyone does.

dmenace1

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4
Occupation
OTR Driver
I purchased a ‘21 Ranger Lariat FX4 on April 27th, I thought when I got home I would check for updates for Sync 3 and for the Nav. Sync was v3.4 build 21020 and Nav was 2 20.
Then just last week I was notified that there Syncand Nav updates. I went to “owner.ford.com” logged in and proceeded to the update page, it picked up my vin# and it asked if I wanted to purchase for $40 or download a digital copy or over a strong WiFi, I chose the later
I went to my truck, scanned for updates and in a course of about 4/5 hrs, the update for Sync and the Nav both were installed. I would start truck, do a scan for update, it would start, turn truck off close door, go back inside house, check back maybe 40 mins and then rescan to start the process again

I’m sorry for the drawn out post.
Sponsored