First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 4x4
Occupation
Pilot
I'm trying to figure out how much mulch I can plan on getting loaded in my 5' bed, and figured somebody here has done this.

My rough measurement and math has the bed 5' x 5' x 1.5' = 37.5 ft bed volume to level/ 27 ft per cubic yard = 1.38 cubic yards.

So stick with 1 cubic yard at a time? Anybody tried 2 and have it piled above the sidewall level? Anything else I need to know before I attempt this?
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to figure out how much mulch I can plan on getting loaded in my 5' bed, and figured somebody here has done this.

My rough measurement and math has the bed 5' x 5' x 1.5' = 37.5 ft bed volume to level/ 27 ft per cubic yard = 1.38 cubic yards.

So stick with 1 cubic yard at a time? Anybody tried 2 and have it piled above the sidewall level? Anything else I need to know before I attempt this?
Weight per yard of bark mulch = 400-800 lbs. Maybe err on the safe side and stick with 1 yard at a time.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I hauled 1,200 lbs of river rock the other day. That is 1/2 a cubic yard. I was actually surprised and disappointed how the truck bounced driving 10 miles taking it easy. I can't imagine how bad it would have been with the stock FX shocks....2 things I have really come to hate about my Ranger is the rear parabolic springs and the gap between the tailgate/bed and the plastic piece on the bottom. As soon as I opened the tailgate, the rock just falls into that gap and becomes wedged. I actually had to have a second person remove rocks so I could lower the tailgate without damaging the paint. ( got a chip last year this way ). Why on earth did Ford think we need a 2" gap around the gate when it's closed? There's really no easy way to seal the dust out and it makes hauling/un loading a pain. To your question, I would imagine you could fit 1-1/2 yards of mulch and still be under 1,000 lbs.

Rangerjack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Professor
I just put 1 yard of freeway bark in my 5' box and it was level to the top. The cool thing was being able to fully close my Bakflip MX4 over the bed and drive home with no loss from the wind.

OP
OP
jwoo

jwoo

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 4x4
Occupation
Pilot
Update: 1 yd is perfect. The loader left a high pile and I scooped some into the corners so I didn’t lose any on the drive home. Love this truck.

485E7B3C-8F32-4478-BB04-5584AA003F2C.jpeg

CC088EB6-6516-42DA-B3E8-42FC298AE5C2.jpeg

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
my word of caution if you run overloaded, be wary of your local highway enforcement.
not always a problem, but they do blitz' in my area from time to time to catch overloaded and unsecured loads....good way to contribute to the tax base in a broad fashion

have even seen them show up at the local dump and inspect every vehicle bringing in their crap....unsecured loads always get a ticket and if they think you're overweight they'll look at your dump receipt and you cant lie your way through that one.

jerks
They gotta meet the quotas somehow.....

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
I hauled 1,200 lbs of river rock the other day. That is 1/2 a cubic yard. I was actually surprised and disappointed how the truck bounced driving 10 miles taking it easy. I can't imagine how bad it would have been with the stock FX shocks....2 things I have really come to hate about my Ranger is the rear parabolic springs and the gap between the tailgate/bed and the plastic piece on the bottom. As soon as I opened the tailgate, the rock just falls into that gap and becomes wedged. I actually had to have a second person remove rocks so I could lower the tailgate without damaging the paint. ( got a chip last year this way ). Why on earth did Ford think we need a 2" gap around the gate when it's closed? There's really no easy way to seal the dust out and it makes hauling/un loading a pain. To your question, I would imagine you could fit 1-1/2 yards of mulch and still be under 1,000 lbs.
I used the 4.25” wide Rockblock weatherstrip to seal that bottom gap. You can get it on Amazon. It’s been on for about a year now and holding up well.
Sponsored