Super cab truck bed capacity

Troutfool

First Name
Domenico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford Ranger Lariat Soper cab
I’m not having luck finding how many pounds of cargo “rock” I can carry.
only going ten miles.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Just make sure your tires are aired up properly, and you're good to go.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’d like to think I was under that weight but I don’t know lol

E3E485DF-B4C6-48A6-ABA1-879FA0BFD9AF.jpeg
Hi Tyler,

This is the problem we face at Ford Truck...folks load the truck based on pickup box volume with no idea of the actual weight of the contents of the load in the box. Can not tell just by looking at the truck as in your picture, but my opinion is you are overloaded if green lumber and maybe okay if dry.

Good luck! If you have a chance...weigh the truck and the trailer...Then you will know.

We had a saying at Ford Truck....Customer fills the pickup box to the side rails regardless if it is lead balls or Styrofoam balls.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is the problem we face at Ford Truck...folks load the truck based on pickup box volume with no idea of the actual weight of the contents of the load in the box.

We had a saying at Ford Truck....Customer fills the pickup box to the side rails regardless if it is lead balls or Styrofoam balls.
I guess they were pretty sure of the truck's capabilities when they put the '04 F-150 bed rails in the clouds huh? Seems normal now but it was a big jump at the time. I always wondered why they thought that was necessary, makes it dang near impossible to reach anything inside.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I guess they were pretty sure of the truck's capabilities when they put the '04 F-150 bed rails in the clouds huh? Seems normal now but it was a big jump at the time. I always wondered why they thought that was necessary, makes it dang near impossible to reach anything inside.
Hi Daniel,

Yeah....Product Planning and Marketing decided that along with GM and Chrysler, the side appearance of the truck needed improvement by raising the Side Rails... For a trial the Ranger Edge was chosen by adding 2.5" tall plastic side rail extenders. I thought they were just terrible and chintzy... but not a battle I was going to fight...And so it was deemed good and box side rails got taller. You are spot on about restricted access but Marketing assured us this was a non issue for the customer and so it was Good! NOT!!! JMO.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Hi Daniel,

Yeah....Product Planning and Marketing decided that along with GM and Chrysler, the side appearance of the truck needed improvement by raising the Side Rails... For a trial the Ranger Edge was chosen by adding 2.5" tall plastic side rail extenders. I thought they were just terrible and chintzy... but not a battle I was going to fight...And so it was deemed good and box side rails got taller. You are spot on about restricted access but Marketing assured us this was a non issue for the customer and so it was Good! NOT!!! JMO.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
LOL, Phil I removed the extended bed rails on day one of my 2003 Edge cause they looked bad and thought the plastic edge woulds scratch up the top of bed sides. About 1 month ago I saw a really clean Edge of the same vintage with the rail extenders still on. Everybody is different I guess. It is funny how short the old Ranger bedsides are compared to 5G. Bret

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Hi Tyler,

This is the problem we face at Ford Truck...folks load the truck based on pickup box volume with no idea of the actual weight of the contents of the load in the box. Can not tell just by looking at the truck as in your picture, but my opinion is you are overloaded if green lumber and maybe okay if dry.

Good luck! If you have a chance...weigh the truck and the trailer...Then you will know.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
I hear ya! It was very dry, or else I wouldn’t of been able to get logs like that in there by hand

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Hi Daniel,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
This is why we stay and advice others, to stay below there max camper weight or truck capacity. Everyone adds and hauls lots more than they imagine they do!
Sponsored

Last edited: