Mbrp exhaust... no flex pipe?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
Haven’t really seen this discussed yet, but why is mbrp the only company not using a flex pipe in their system? Cost? Everyone else is putting one in in the factory location. Is it really needed? I went with the mbrp system cause i like the way it sounded, but now i am thinking i should possibly install a flex joint somewhere in the system? I dunno. Maybe over thinking it since you usually only see them in transverse systems? Maybe it is just for NVH?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Haven’t really seen this discussed yet, but why is mbrp the only company not using a flex pipe in their system? Cost? Everyone else is putting one in in the factory location. Is it really needed? I went with the mbrp system cause i like the way it sounded, but now i am thinking i should possibly install a flex joint somewhere in the system? I dunno. Maybe over thinking it since you usually only see them in transverse systems? Maybe it is just for NVH?
Hi BR

The exhaust flex coupling is very expensive and is only used to resolve an NVH issue that defied other techniques to resolve the NVH problem.
I recommend keeping the flex coupling. Exhaust systems are like giant tuning forks... Since resonant frequency is proportional to the square root of the stiffness over the mass....The flex coupling makes a huge drop in system stiffness, and moves the resonant frequency below the engine excitation frequencies the engine generated in operation of the vehicle.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
So it is just for noise reduction? If so i’m not worried about that at all. Now if it is going to damage something from vibration that is another story.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I would worry about the vibration damaging the turbo/downpipe area over time.

You can get a 3" stainless flex coupler for ~$20 online, cheap insurance IMO.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So it is just for noise reduction? If so i’m not worried about that at all. Now if it is going to damage something from vibration that is another story.
Hi RB,,,no not noise reduction from exhaust gasses. The flex coupling eleminates exhaust system vibrations that can be heard and felt in the cab, Seats, steering wheel....usually manifesting in unpleasant moans, annoying vibrations etc Has nothing to do with the exhaust note.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
Hi RB,,,no not noise reduction from exhaust gasses. The flex coupling eleminates exhaust system vibrations that can be heard and felt in the cab, Seats, steering wheel....usually manifesting in unpleasant moans, annoying vibrations etc Has nothing to do with the exhaust note.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

That is what i meant. I know it doesn’t reduce exhaust noise.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
I would worry about the vibration damaging the turbo/downpipe area over time.

You can get a 3" stainless flex coupler for ~$20 online, cheap insurance IMO.
Yeah that is what i was thinking also. I was worried about that, but none of the other turbo cars i have owned have had a flex pipe from the factory. Just down pipe bolted straight to the exhaust.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I was looking at the MBRP option but decided against it for this reason. Considering the simplicity of the pipe and content involved, including a flex pipe would have negligibly affected the cost.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that is what i was thinking also. I was worried about that, but none of the other turbo cars i have owned have had a flex pipe from the factory. Just down pipe bolted straight to the exhaust.
I have a MBRP too...there's no issue with vibrations/noise other than what comes out the exhaust end...no need to worry...

FlRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I have MBRP as well. So far so good.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Does the MBRP give any performance boost by itself?

Or is a tune required to get any real benefit from it powerwise?

FlRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

Yes, exhaust alone will boost performance.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient

I am not an engineer in this department, but the tech who installed my Magnaflow snootily commented I might 'lose some power.' I was a little confused how going from the 2.5 inch system to the 3 incher with no resonator could do that, but looked at aFe's graph for their catted downpipe assuming more flow (I don't have this for the record). Peak HP according to aFe actually dropped although it comes on much earlier. But torque shot through the roof.

It's probably why my truck after the Unleashed tune can bark the tires on shifts.

So the exhaust tech might have been half right.

I keep looking for better gas mileage, but my 'tuned' driving habits keep getting in the way :blush:
Sponsored