First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Well, you wonder if devices are really working. I'm sold on the Noco 5 Genius after running a second repair. Here are the new results. Progress!

ranger 3 012224.jpg
Sponsored

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Are these devices the same as the Battery Tender?
The Noco 5 Genius is a charger and desulfator.:
NOCO GENIUS5, 5A Smart Car Battery Charger, 6V and 12V Automotive Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, Float Charger and Desulfator for Motorcycle, ATV, Lithium and Deep Cycle Batteries

1706021275313.png

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I just did my monthly check.
Holding Strong - SOC set to 90%
I have not seen any charging voltage lower than 13.7 on the Powerpoint Gauge - However it is winter, I think I will hold at the 90% SOC setting for now and will revisit the setting this spring / summer.

Topdon:
CCA - 735
IR - 3.37

Viking:
CCA -939
IR - 3.19

OP
OP

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
The numbers look great! My charge voltages mirror yours.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I just did my monthly check.
Holding Strong - SOC set to 90%
I have not seen any charging voltage lower than 13.7 on the Powerpoint Gauge - However it is winter, I think I will hold at the 90% SOC setting for now and will revisit the setting this spring / summer.

Topdon:
CCA - 735
IR - 3.37

Viking:
CCA -939
IR - 3.19
When you check the battery, do you just pop the hood and test? The reason I ask is, if I do just that, I always hear something in the engine compartment. So I have gotten in the habit of popping the hood, waiting an hour or so (after an already wait time of at least 4 hours) then testing. This way I don't have to open the doors or do anything that might energize something. I have been getting IR's in the 5mO's.
I have also not seen regen charging since warmer weather, however the ASS still works about half the time. Otherwise it doesn't because of "vehicle charging."

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
When you check the battery, do you just pop the hood and test? The reason I ask is, if I do just that, I always hear something in the engine compartment. So I have gotten in the habit of popping the hood, waiting an hour or so (after an already wait time of at least 4 hours) then testing. This way I don't have to open the doors or do anything that might energize something. I have been getting IR's in the 5mO's.
I have also not seen regen charging since warmer weather, however the ASS still works about half the time. Otherwise it doesn't because of "vehicle charging."
James, I just pop the hood and check. We've had warmer temps lately so the charge is a little better than when we had the single digits a couple weeks ago. Hooked up the Noco 5 after this.

ranger 020124.jpg

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I generally shut down and wait 5-minutes, then test
As the 12 hour rest period, the readings will be lower, but will be relevant of the initial 5-minute wait.
Even if I test after 12-hours my IR stays pretty much the same, however the voltage is lower - almost always around 12.2 volts, this voltage is consistent at wake-up (first start of the day)
No matter what the shut down voltage was.

OP
OP

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
James. I fear your internal resistance will never drop when only charging to 75%. With voltages at that level sulfation never ceases except when driving and then only some percent. 75% charge is slightly below the threshold.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
James. I fear your internal resistance will never drop when only charging to 75%. With voltages at that level sulfation never ceases except when driving and then only some percent. 75% charge is slightly below the threshold.
I was getting in the low 3mΩ's in May. I am running an on-board desulfator. But I do need to check the SOC setting in Forscan.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Truck hasn't been driven much lately so put the Noco 5 on it to run repair mode. Results are the battery is getting better.

Battery 031524.jpg
I pop my Noco on too when I'm not going to drive for more than 2 days and getting good results. Is that a Harbor Freight tester?

NOCO connected.jpg

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
I pop my Noco on too when I'm not going to drive for more than 2 days and getting good results. Is that a Harbor Freight tester?

NOCO connected.jpg
Sounds like you attach the Noco more than I do.

It's a Top Don BT 100
Sponsored