Maximizing Battery Life

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Our modern autos are almost too complicated for their own good! The old rules no longer apply, and our new autos are much more fragile than our largely mechanical cars of the past. I've purchased two items that I think may help me (and maybe others) avoid one of the pitfalls, short battery life.... and the accompanying problems of having to have your truck systems resetting to defaults and needing to relearn your driving style. Another member noticed transmission shift issues beginning after the battery was removed.

About 10 years ago I purchased a BatteryMINDer Model OBD-12 Desulfator for 2 of my vehicles. It is a simple to hook up device that breaks down the sulfur crystals on the lead battery plates whenever your engine is running and charge voltage is >13.5v. Since installing, my batteries last 3x longer than my neighbors. I got 10 years out of my last two batteries in both vehicles that had these Desulfators installed in them.

I have just ordered another one for my 2020 Ranger. Prices have gone up since then (was $35) and the best price I could find was at an RV shop for $82 delivered to the door. This website is a little tricky and has a link to click to get the lower price of ~$65 + tax + shipping instead of the price listed at ~$79.

BM1.png
BM2.png

Here is a picture of the BM desulfator installed in my 2005 Ranger. It is sitting on the antilock brake module next to the battery. Nothing more than Velcro holding it in place. Been there for a very long time, 10-15 years. I've lost track of when I purchased it. I just put battery #3 in the truck 3 months ago. So 2 batteries replaced in 17 years, and the first one went a few years without the desulfator installed.

BM4.png

The second item was purchased quite a while back when I bought the truck. It is a small 12 volt adapter that is designed to keep your auto's computer settings when changing batteries. This means you must change the battery before a catastrophic battery failure occurs. You simply plug the device into you trucks Diagnostic port, and plug it into either a 9V battery (good for ~30 minutes with a new 9v battery), or a 110v wall outlet with a 12V wall wart PS. Then remove and replace your truck battery. This keeps power to your Truck systems while you switch out your battery. I bought it on a whim, and thought I'd never need it. Here is a similar device available from Amazon.

BM3.png

I will be connecting m BM Desulfator to the posts ( I will not be disconnecting the battery, just taking off the nut). And yes, it as simple as that. The pigtail is used when you wish to charge the battery through the desulfator. Simply plug your charger into the pigtail, and it will charge and desulfate at the same time. The same is true if you connect to the + battery post and to the nut before the BCM on the negative terminal.. The desulfator goes to work when it sees a charging voltage, be from the alternator or an external charger.

I am attempting to revive a long discharged / discarded sealed AGM battery (made in Jan 2006) through the BM desulfator charger
(I will keep updating the progress by editing this entry.)

Battery is rated at 725 CCA.

Results of Initial health check (It failed while attempting to charge it with another very expensive Schumacher "smart" battery charger. )
000 CCA - 0% of CCA of new Battery Voltage = 4.v Resistance = 31 Ohms BatteryMinder level = 1 Poor

UPDATE: 12 Hours from Start
123 CCA - 17% of CCA of new Battery Voltage = 13.31v Resistance = 20 Ohms BatteryMinder level = 1 Poor

UPDATE: 24 Hours from Start
261 CCA - 36% of CCA of new Battery Voltage = 13.35v Resistance = 14 Ohms BatteryMinder level = 2 Fair

UPDATE: 36 Hours from Start
332 CCA - 46% of CCA of new Battery Voltage = 13.35v Resistance = 10 Ohms Battery Minder level = 2 Fair

UPDATE: 48 Hours from Start
375 CCA - 50% of CCA of new Battery Voltage = 13.35v Resistance = 8 Ohms BatteryMinder level = 2 Fair

UPDATE: 60 Hours from Start
430 CCA - 60% of CCA of new Battery Voltage = 13.26v Resistance = 7 Ohms BatteryMinder level = 3 Good

UPDATE: 72 Hours from Start (things seem to be slowing)
444 CCA - 61% of CCA of new Battery Voltage = 13.26v Resistance = 7 Ohms BatteryMinder level = 3 Good

UPDATE: 84 Hours from Start (things seem to be stalled but it was very cold last night) Going to give it 1 more day to see if trend holds.
--------------------------
450 CCA - 61% of CCA of new Battery Voltage = 13.26v Resistance = 7 Ohms BatteryMinder level = 3 Good

UPDATE: 96 Hours from Start (very cold again last night, but a major positive change)
658.6 CCA - 91.5% of CCA of new Battery Voltage = 13.73v Resistance = 5.5 Ohms BatteryMinder level = 4 Excellent ( this battery is now reporting better condition than my 2020 Ranger battery!)

UPDATE: 108 Hours from Start (A reversion back down!)
462.9 CCA - 63.9% of CCA of new Battery Voltage = 13.29v Resistance = 6.9 Ohms BatteryMinder level = 4 Excellent ( this battery is now on par with my 2020 Ranger battery!)

If the battery does not have shorted cells there is a good possibility of bringing it back to 80% or better of its original capacity. It just takes some time. Desulfating uses very little energy. My Battery Minder charger was putting out 8 Amps early on, but now it is simply maintaining and desulfating.... at a cost of ~35 cents / month.

My other smart chargers reported "battery bad" and gave up. My very old dumb chargers would have boiled the water out of the battery with 15 Amps going in.

I know there are several very nice modern chargers on the market, but I have no personal experience with them.

-T
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My BatteryMinder Model OBD-12 Desulfator arrived today, and it is now installed. It fit neatly above the antilock brake system up near the firewall. Took less than 20 minutes to find a suitable location and secure it.

BM5.png

The not so good news is that upon testing the battery condition, the Desulfator reported my battery in only "Fair" condition.

BM6.png

It appears to be time to charge up the battery, and then breakout ForScan and raise the charge level from 75% to 80%. The picture does not show it well, but both the "Poor" (Red) & "Fair" (Yellow) LEDs Lit up when I pressed the Battery Condition Test Button. This battery is only 2.5 years old!

- T

Last edited:
OP
OP

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put my Schumacher SC10030A charger on the 2020 Ranger this morning, and it reported the battery to be at a 70% charge. This correlates with the BM Desulfator, and Ford settings to stop charging at 70%.

Schumacher SX100310A Battery Charger.png

When a battery is not at a full charge, sulfur crystals form on the lead plates causing resistance to increase. This ultimately results in shortened battery life. I think Ford made the decision to lower the charge level of the battery in an effort to increase CAFE mpg of the fleet. Every little bit helps, even if it results in shorter battery life.

I'm breaking out ForScan and setting my charge rate to at least 95% and I may go to 100%. After my first pass through of Steve's "5th Gen Ranger Charging System Dissertation" (very impressive work!). I will raise it to 80%.

- T

Last edited:

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
These devices sound good enough, but when you have to park outside no where near an A/C outlet your SOL.

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
These devices sound good enough, but when you have to park outside no where near an A/C outlet your SOL.
Without plugging in a battery maintainer, you could disconnect the BMS on the negative post or use FORSCAN to raise the charge level. Others have done those and don't seem to have any issues.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I put my Schumacher SC10030A charger on the 2020 Ranger this morning, and it reported the battery to be at a 70% charge. This correlates with the BM Desulfator, and Ford settings to stop charging at 70%.

When a battery is not at a full charge, sulfur crystals form on the lead plates causing resistance to increase. This ultimately results in shortened battery life. I think Ford made the decision to lower the charge level of the battery in an effort to increase CAFE mpg of the fleet. Every little bit helps, even if it results in shorter battery life.

I'm breaking out ForScan and setting my charge rate to at least 95% and I may go to 100%.

- T
There is another thread on here about one forum
Member doing extensive research into the BMS system we have. He also went into what is the best setting to use in Forscan for SOC changing it from the 70, 75% factory threshold settings . In essence AGM battery’s do not like a full charge. He recommended 80% SOC if I remember right. I have mine set to 90% and did that early in 2021. It’s been ok but I do lots of short daily drives so mine is always trying to get there charge wise. As a suggestion ( I did this long ago too) is get a digital volt display that lives in one of your cigar lighter power points. This tells you what charge voltage is at rest and also while running. If you are about to have some issues with the batteries potential failure these readings will reflect that.

I also have a CTEK charger that occasionally gets hooked up with a quick disconnect to top it off battery if I see rest voltage get below 12.1V

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech

I'm breaking out ForScan and setting my charge rate to at least 95% and I may go to 100%.

- T
From my testing it does not stop charging at 70%, however it tries to maintain 70% SOC, since you stated you did this in AM, keep in mind that even with my testing shutdown voltage usually was about 12.8 to 12.9 volts after it sat, and lights timed out was 12.6 volts.
At first start wake-up voltage averaged 11.9 to 12.0 volts, even with raising the SOC to 90% and BMS disable.
So, in regard to your (AM) wake up voltage at 70%, my new truck will always be 11.9 to 12.0 volts, no matter what I have set the SOC to be. 75 - 80 - 90 percent, I have found through this forum and the service bulletins that this is normal, and the trigger issues arise at about 11.5 volts.
So, with that the most important thing to do is monitor what the actual charging voltage is, not the first start (Wake-Up) voltage is.

I plan on doing some deeper testing and drive and monitor battery temp readings as soon as the weather warms up above 50 deg, (45 deg or so is the charge rate decision point for the BCM)

I did determine that 90% SOC, completely changes how the system charges and pretty much overrides the BMS system, I just don't know yet via testing how it effects the battery temp. this is my only concern with raising the SOC above factory and I (THINK) that it is a solution without any negative effects but if you live in a hotter climate- It (MAY) overcharge thus overheat the battery.
AGM batteries are a whole different battery than the old school Lead Acid.
I want wholeheartedly to push that this is a viable option without any effects but the mechanic side of me needs proof through actual test results, not just do it and see what happens.

For detains on the Testing, see my Charging System Test Results

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
From my testing it does not stop charging at 70%, however it tries to maintain 70% SOC, since you stated you did this in AM, keep in mind that even with my testing shutdown voltage usually was about 12.8 to 12.9 volts after it sat, and lights timed out was 12.6 volts.
At first start wake-up voltage averaged 11.9 to 12.0 volts, even with raising the SOC to 90% and BMS disable.
So, in regard to your (AM) wake up voltage at 70%, my new truck will always be 11.9 to 12.0 volts, no matter what I have set the SOC to be. 75 - 80 - 90 percent, I have found through this forum and the service bulletins that this is normal, and the trigger issues arise at about 11.5 volts.
So, with that the most important thing to do is monitor what the actual charging voltage is, not the first start (Wake-Up) voltage is.

I plan on doing some deeper testing and drive and monitor battery temp readings as soon as the weather warms up above 50 deg, (45 deg or so is the charge rate decision point for the BCM)

I did determine that 90% SOC, completely changes how the system charges and pretty much overrides the BMS system, I just don't know yet via testing how it effects the battery temp. this is my only concern with raising the SOC above factory and I (THINK) that it is a solution without any negative effects but if you live in a hotter climate- It (MAY) overcharge thus overheat the battery.
I want wholeheartedly to push that this is a viable option without any effects but the mechanic side of me needs proof through actual test results, not just do it and see what happens.

And because of this awesome research and seeing how complicated the charging system is, no way will I disconnect the BMS.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
This may have been stated in the 5478 battery threads so if I missed it I apologize. But can you put an old school lead acid battery in a Ranger? Assume there would be some setting via Forscan so the truck would recognize it? Would that get rid of at least some of the overly complicated bullshit?

Just wondering.

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
I’ve had my truck for 2 years now and BMS deactivated via Forscan for over a year now could be close to a year and a half with what I’m assuming is the original battery from the factory from 2019 because it says FoMoCo on it. I don’t claim to know the ins and outs of the BMS but it hasn’t givin me a problem yet… if I get 4-5 years out of a battery I’m pretty happy w that.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
has anybody thought that having ASS disabled may prolong the battery life?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
This may have been stated in the 5478 battery threads so if I missed it I apologize. But can you put an old school lead acid battery in a Ranger? Assume there would be some setting via Forscan so the truck would recognize it? Would that get rid of at least some of the overly complicated bullshit?

Just wondering.
I don't think anyone has done it, due to AGM's are supposed to handle, constant voltage drop loads for the A/Start system and heavy user loads for the Sync system, I think a standard Lead Acid would handle the loads far worse than the AGM already does, thus if it was a viable option, I believe there would be just as many posts on doing it.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
has anybody thought that having ASS disabled may prolong the battery life?
I believe this is true, time will tell for those that have it disabled by user or as mine disabled from factory. I feel that this is a primary factor in the battery life.
From what I gather the average life is 3 to 5 years, but some of the main factors determine it.
Area you live - Temp's
Driving Style - Short Trip's Only
Driving Time - Night or Day

OP
OP

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Steve,
First thanks for the detailed info, and for taking the time to reply.

I checked my truck this morning after having first driven it 20 miles. I am assuming the truck would have been charging the battery from the draw expended from initially starting the truck.

As a data point, 2005 Ranger had the battery replaced on 8/22. It has not been started and driven in a week. I just checked its charge, and it is at 75%. My new Ranger is driven almost daily, and just came back from a 600 mile trip. It registered at 70%. This perplexes me.

Can you provide a link to your Charging System Test Results? Found it! reading now...

I am very interested in learning as much as I can.

Again, thanks for all assistance and input

- T