MAP on strike and two others;

Bomlodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 SVO, 2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Do these lowly factory workers get a say in your wage?
No but the indoctrinated tend to be quite zealous and frequently attempt to throw their weight around in someone else's sandbox. I have witnessed union reps file worthless grievances and attempt to get contractors fired on several occasions simply for doing their jobs without a union card. Do they have a say in your wage....that depends. Does your employer enjoy gently caressing the testicles of the unions? If yes, chances are your wages will be affected.

Bottom line is there's nothing stopping any of the big 3 from moving production out of the US. The unions are getting greedy and trying to eat into the margins of the manufacturers. When that happens, they look for other ways to increase margin. This one would be easy.....cost of manufacturing just went up. Do we pass that along to the consumer and risk losing market share and profits or do we lower production costs and keep things as they are?

Easy decision.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I'm having flashbacks to the movie Gung Ho. I love my truck, but some of you are experiencing that kind of quality on your trucks... Pride??? More pride in union strength than in job performed in some cases.
loved that movie.

Reactions: EJH

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
With a stiff 27% tariff on Chinese autos still in place that's a huge barrier and certainly protectionist , Chinese have bought a wide range of us companies but likely have no intent of attempting to buy a us baes auto company, can't say I blame them.
Many Overseas makers assemble in the US to beat that and are not unionized.
The rapidly rising cost of US UAW assembled cars and trucks with the even higher cost of massive wage increases (passed on to the consumer), might make imports from PRC profitable in spite of the tariff. Hell, it might make it profitable for Ford and GM to import from PRC.
Who gets a 42% raise without commiserate increase in duties and/or hours?

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Many Overseas makers assemble in the US to beat that and are not unionized.
The rapidly rising cost of US UAW assembled cars and trucks with the even higher cost of massive wage increases (passed on to the consumer), might make imports from PRC profitable in spite of the tariff. Hell, it might make it profitable for Ford and GM.
Who gets a 42% raise without commiserate increase in duties and/or hours?
yes overseas makers do that but they have previously established customer base and infrastructure in the US before building factories here, China lacks that and given the current political environment I don't see China being able to make inroads to the auto business here anytime soon. Do recall a post though from an aussie who mentioned the Chinese sell a mid size truck as at a far lower price point than Ford sells Rangers.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Customers have proven themselves to be primarily interested in cost. And color.

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
If the foreign buiders in the US are paying less in wages how is that not reflected in the price of their trucks?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I wonder what would happen if I demanded a 40%+ raise. Actually I think I know what would happen.
Really, you're demanding a 46% raise?
Burros.jpeg

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Now lets do some math.
Take the $30 million she made that year and divided between the 155,000 at GM.
Each person gets $193 extra for the entire year.

If I worked for a company for 20 years and have lots of experience, I should be making good money. So, why would I push for equal pay for new employees that have little to no experience?
Because they are your union brothers and sisters.

Bomlodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 SVO, 2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Because they are your union brothers and sisters.
That's a cannibalistic family that sacrifices it's young and talented in place of those older and less motivated. Not anti-union...just relaying shit I've seen with my own two eyes.

4Banger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco; 2022 Ranger
Think about it, are you going to be a CEO at the big 3? No

Everyone claiming that UAW workers make too much money, hereā€™s another thought.

Everyone thatā€™s not in the UAW is not making enough money! You need to strike too!

United We Stand
Divided We Fall

Strike baby Strike!

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Think about it, are you going to be a CEO at the big 3? No

Everyone claiming that UAW workers make too much money, hereā€™s another thought.

Everyone thatā€™s not in the UAW is not making enough money! You need to strike too!

United We Stand
Divided We Fall

Strike baby Strike!
Yeah, Uncle Joe can just print more money to pay everyone.
Eventually it will be cheaper than TP and that will be one less household expense.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Not a fan of strikes, or unions. Bad experiences with both in the steel industry. But looking for a silver lining! šŸ˜ Getting emails from Ford that this is Ford Truck Month...and with the strike, obviously production will be hampered, from the already measley '24 Ranger production to-date at MAP! So Pepper, my '19 should be going up in price, eh? Only problem is I'll be without a truck til my new '24 XLT rolls, or limps, off the line! Ordered day 1 May 26, might not see it til next yearšŸ˜”. There's a $3k discount on a '23 XLT at my local dealer, tempted but not gonna do it. I'll hunker down, the union guys will want to settle before Fain does, as I told a car salesman once when he gave me a " great price"...You're eating steak today, call me when you're eating baked beans!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
About 12 years ago I worked a short gig with electrician in a union. My foreman told me all the benefits of joining the union. One provision was that members had a 'no strike' clause. About two years later, they went on strike.
I was just a hired hand to help finish up the job at the end of the contract. One day I got yelled at for cutting some 2x8 to make a concrete form for a control panel. The dude said I was taking his job, but I was just bored and trying to help. I spent the rest of the day sitting in the AC of the company truck, told him to come get me when he needs me.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
link to an article from NPR citing some recent union wages wins which might have emboldened the UAW in it's demands, but also points out why the auto industry is different, I agree it's reminiscent of the decline of the steel industry in the US, labor disputes increased the vulnerability to foreign competition, a lot of the EV industry in the US - battery plants and of course Tesla are largely non union and this is yet another threat to the UAW. The union leadership wisely highlights the profitability of the auto companies but strikes a even more popular cord with the public by focusing on CEO pay, where overall CEO's pay has risen to some 300 times that of the average worker. Is Farley worth $21,000,000 annually seems to be a legitimate question, anyone old enough to remember Lee Iacocca working for a $1 salary at Chrysler.

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/15/1199456693/uaw-40-wage-increase-strike-ford-gm-stellantis
Sponsored

Last edited: