Pepijn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, VW Golf, Ranger, Indian Scout, Beta RRS
Occupation
Research
That is awesome!

Can you provide more detail on the lift mechanism?

At first glance it almost looks like a cable lift similar to a pop up camper.

I've been trying to decide how to do a lift system for my camping trailer and have several ideas, but I'd like to see how an actually well thought out system is engineered.

My homebuilt-in-progress trailer.

IMG_0173.jpeg

This is my wife's biggest complaint with the RTT ?
Great build!

I'll post some better pictures of the mechanism when I get home from work.
Sponsored

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
sweet setup! those old trailers are tough as nails, it will serve you well. the only thing i would need different is a way to pee without getting out of the tent and down the ladder three times a night lol.
That is what a dedicated wide mouth water bottle is for

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Just picked it up today, wanted to show off but not too many people in my immediate environment have an appreciation for this sort of thing.

It's an original M416 with quite a few mods from the previous owner, including a telescoping strut-powered platform with RTT and awning. Also has line-x in the bed and they replaced the pintle hitch for a lock 'n roll type. They put it on 32s which tracks great behind the Tremor.

IMG-20220515-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220515-WA0004.jpg

It also came with the original manual, which has this interesting bit of info:

20220515_193100.jpg

Now I can finally work my way through all the remote campsites I've been bookmarking!
Looks pretty cool.

A guy on my street in Bend, OR has one of these setups. He has the middle portion kitted to carry a couple kayaks too. He tows it with an ancient Toyota Land Cruiser (also a classic).

sweet setup! those old trailers are tough as nails, it will serve you well. the only thing i would need different is a way to pee without getting out of the tent and down the ladder three times a night lol.
Like the above, just use a water bottle. That is my MO in the RRT (when only the dog and I). When camping with the wife, I am more civil :)
im kinda the same thought process.
would rather have a trailer decked out so i can leave it in one place and forage around from there.
cant afford a purpose built overland trailer....they're more expensive than an ex wife....so building one would be a fun exercise.
Agree 100% RP. That is why I don't get the Sprinter Van, etc popularity. We love having a travel trailer that stays at camp while we take the truck around. We only use the RTT on trips where we won't be staying at camp more than one night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DrPep

DrPep

First Name
Pepijn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Research
That is awesome!

Can you provide more detail on the lift mechanism?
Here's some more detail on the rack. The way it works is you pull out the spring loaded pins one by one until they're all out, they the struts lift up the rack. Once extended the pins click back in place. To get it back down you need to pull it with two people.

Apparently the previous owner who designed and built it is a mechanical engineer. So far it has worked pretty well.

20220516_195531.jpg

20220516_195543.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
At least it goes up easily

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Here's some more detail on the rack. The way it works is you pull out the spring loaded pins one by one until they're all out, they the struts lift up the rack. Once extended the pins click back in place. To get it back down you need to pull it with two people.

Apparently the previous owner who designed and built it is a mechanical engineer. So far it has worked pretty well.

20220516_195531.jpg

20220516_195543.jpg
Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
i'd figure out a way to alleviate the two people conundrum and use ratchet straps or something.
or a crank w/cables.

but I can't help wondering why you would want the trailer deck to raise/lower? I get that having it at a reduced height while driving is better for fuel economy, center of gravity, etc. But what do you gain from raising it in camp? If your load fits when it's lowered, that's not why.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
i'd figure out a way to alleviate the two people conundrum and use ratchet straps or something.
This got me thinking: While a ratchet strap probably wouldn't have enough "throw" to pull it all the way down, a $50 boat winch certainly would.

All you'd need is a quick mount to the trailer (I probably wouldn't want to leave it attached all the time) and a pulley to pull it down.

Hmmmm...

Edit: Make that a $30 boat winch.

Remove the handle and weld a nut on it so I can use my cordless impact. This has potential.

OP
OP
DrPep

DrPep

First Name
Pepijn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Research
or a crank w/cables.

but I can't help wondering why you would want the trailer deck to raise/lower? I get that having it at a reduced height while driving is better for fuel economy, center of gravity, etc. But what do you gain from raising it in camp? If your load fits when it's lowered, that's not why.
Good question. You can definitely use the RTT with the platform lowered. However, there's also an awning that attaches to the tent, so if you want to use that (and be able to stand up in it to e.g. change clothes, etc.) you can move the platform up!

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Good question. You can definitely use the RTT with the platform lowered. However, there's also an awning that attaches to the tent, so if you want to use that (and be able to stand up in it to e.g. change clothes, etc.) you can move the platform up!
seems needlessly complicated to me. can't say I expect anything less from an engineer, though.

OP
OP
DrPep

DrPep

First Name
Pepijn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Research
seems needlessly complicated to me. can't say I expect anything less from an engineer, though.
It only takes a minute to set up or take down, so not too bad. But either way, once I've tested it in the field I'll be able to say whether it's useful or not!

HDA

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech
That is sick bro. Only downside is that in the event of your capture, you or your compatriots may have to destroy it.

So don't get captured. :sunglasses:

OP
OP
DrPep

DrPep

First Name
Pepijn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Research
That is sick bro. Only downside is that in the event of your capture, you or your compatriots may have to destroy it.

So don't get captured. :sunglasses:
Agreed. Good to be prepared either way though :cool:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i think if i was younger and in better shape etc. the rtt on a trailer like that would be awesome. but im old fat and fragile lol. a travel trailer with ac is what my flab wants... but small and tough enough to get at least of pavement and into some semi remote camps.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
i think if i was younger and in better shape etc. the rtt on a trailer like that would be awesome. but im old fat and fragile lol. a travel trailer with ac is what my flab wants... but small and tough enough to get at least of pavement and into some semi remote camps.
I like my AC too.

I've been thinking about trying one of THESE for my RTT.

I could sit it in my trailer or the bed of my truck then route the hose into the tent.

They get pretty good reviews.
Sponsored