First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a little more bass out of my system and wouldn't mind adding a subwoofer. I'm not trying to compete in audio competitions or anything like that. What has everyone added subwoofer wise to their Rangers? I'm looking at bazooka or slim box styles. I don't mind sacrificing the floor space behind one of the front seats. And as far as head units go, how compatible are aftermarket subwoofers with the OEM headunit. I'd like to keep it. I know with an aftermarket headunit you can fine tune the audio but I don't mind controlling it from just the amp/bass settings.
Sponsored

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a little more bass out of my system and wouldn't mind adding a subwoofer. I'm not trying to compete in audio competitions or anything like that. What has everyone added subwoofer wise to their Rangers? I'm looking at bazooka or slim box styles. I don't mind sacrificing the floor space behind one of the front seats. And as far as head units go, how compatible are aftermarket subwoofers with the OEM headunit. I'd like to keep it. I know with an aftermarket headunit you can fine tune the audio but I don't mind controlling it from just the amp/bass settings.
I would love to see an upgraded woofer to fit in the OEM space!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have the Kenwood KSC-SW11 sub in the factory location.

I mounted the controller in the little "ink pen" holder in the center console.

It's not a thumping sub but it does a great job of filling in the lows that factory speakers can't hit (though my front speakers are now Rockford Fosgate components).

There are plenty of reviews of this sub on Youtube where you can get an idea of how it sounds.

IMG_0611.jpeg

IMG_0612.jpeg

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR

It's not a thumping sub but it does a great job of filling in the lows that factory speakers can't hit (though my front speakers are now Rockford Fosgate components).

There are plenty of reviews of this sub on Youtube where you can get an idea of how it sounds.

IMG_0611.jpeg

IMG_0612.jpeg
Very cool, thanks!

OP
OP
arbjosh

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist

That sounds like what I'm looking for. I have a crew cab XLT. Do XLTs have that mounting location as well? What did you wire to for inputs? Difficulty level?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
That sounds like what I'm looking for. I have a crew cab XLT. Do XLTs have that mounting location as well? What did you wire to for inputs? Difficulty level?
Mine is an XLT.

It's mounted in place using heavy duty Velcro that sticks to the back wall.

I tapped into the rear speakers at the B pillar for input.

OP
OP
arbjosh

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
In the past I've been loyal to Kicker but I think I'm going to save some money and get something more entry level one of these two Rockvilles. Dimensions below. I really doubt the 2nd would fit behind the back seat so I might play it safe and just get the first. They both have great reviews on Amazon and for the price and my objectives I'm sure they will do the job.

71xwxGnOt7L._AC_SL1250_.jpg

• Rockville RW10CA 800 Watt 10" Slim Car Subwoofer.
  • 800 Watts Peak / 200 Watts RMS. PWM MOSFET Power Supply.
  • Low Level RCA Input. High Level Inputs with Auto Turn-On Technology.
  • Adjustable Input Sensitivity. Soft Delayed Remote Turn-On.
  • Dimensions: 12.4 x 13.4 x 2.7 (L x W X H) Inches.
OR

71OaknEx7SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Rockville RVE12CA Slim 12” 1400 Watt Amplified Car Subwoofer in Vented Enclosure
  • 1400 Watts Peak power output
  • 350 Watts RMS
  • Dimensions: 24.2" Length x 15.2" Height 5.5" Top Depth x 7.5" Bottom depth

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
In the past I've been loyal to Kicker but I think I'm going to save some money and get something more entry level one of these two Rockvilles. Dimensions below. I really doubt the 2nd would fit behind the back seat so I might play it safe and just get the first. They both have great reviews on Amazon and for the price and my objectives I'm sure they will do the job.

• Dimensions: 12.4 x 13.4 x 2.7 (L x W X H) Inches....
I have this exact Rockville in my Jeep.

It's a good sub, but the Kenwood does sound better and takes up much less room.

If you get the Rockville, you might want to look at mounting it under the seat instead of on the back wall as I'm not sure it would fit there.

IMG_0126.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
arbjosh

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
I have this exact Rockville in my Jeep.

It's a good sub, but the Kenwood does sound better and takes up much less room.

If you get the Rockville, you might want to look at mounting it under the seat instead of on the back wall as I'm not sure it would fit there.

IMG_0126.jpeg
I'm happy to hear of you're having good experience with the rockville. Thats interesting that the Kenwood outperforms it even though its smaller and less powered. I'm guessing you're on the factory headunit on the Ranger? If so, what did you tap into for the remote (on/off) wire? And did you use the high or low level inputs? If high, do you have to send 2 wires each way to the back speakers?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yes, factory head unit.

I bought the Rockville in 2018 and it's still going strong. The Kenwood even before that.

I used high level inputs to the Kenwood. It comes with adapters for either high or low level inputs.

The Rockville can also accept either but I don't remember if it came with the adapter (I used low level inputs in the Jeep)

I found my Ranger wiring connections in several posts in THIS thread that has a ton of info on subs.

walkerty1

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Self employed

• Dimensions: 12.4 x 13.4 x 2.7 (L x W X H) Inches.
OR

71OaknEx7SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Rockville RVE12CA Slim 12” 1400 Watt Amplified Car Subwoofer in Vented Enclosure
  • 1400 Watts Peak power output
  • 350 Watts RMS
  • Dimensions: 24.2" Length x 15.2" Height 5.5" Top Depth x 7.5" Bottom depth
Im getting the rockville’s here soon and going to have an audio shop down the road. Im going to get 2 of the 10’s and also amping all my door speakers for which i replaced already. Ill let yall know how it sounds.

OP
OP
arbjosh

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Im getting the rockville’s here soon and going to have an audio shop down the road. Im going to get 2 of the 10’s and also amping all my door speakers for which i replaced already. Ill let yall know how it sounds.
Yeah let me know. That would be much appreciated. I got a single 10 from Amazon. I tried to install but couldn't find the wires coming from the rear driver side speakers. I separated the door from the trim and found the colors (I want to say brown/white and green/purple) but when I traced it back to the loom in both the front and rear sill...I couldn't find them! Plus broke a couple of the prongs that hold them in so I said F it and am getting ahold of someone to do it for 150.

walkerty1

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Self employed
Yea for $150 that aint bad at all. I got quoted $850 to install the two rockville 10’s and I always spent about 2 weeks researching what I could even fit in the backseat and talked to the audio shop, but they honestly had no idea. We tried fitting about 10 different boxes they had in stock but nothing fit.
Yeah let me know. That would be much appreciated. I got a single 10 from Amazon. I tried to install but couldn't find the wires coming from the rear driver side speakers. I separated the door from the trim and found the colors (I want to say brown/white and green/purple) but when I traced it back to the loom in both the front and rear sill...I couldn't find them! Plus broke a couple of the prongs that hold them in so I said F it and am getting ahold of someone to do it for 150.

OP
OP
arbjosh

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
So the speaker fits behind the back seat just fine. Two MIGHT be possible. If you remove the factory jack behind the seat then I'm pretty sure it would fit just fine. While I'm sure shops are better, I prefer using craigslist or Facebook marketplace to find help. They're usually mobile and I can hover over them, help, learn and make sure they aren't cutting major corners getting the job done. Also much cheaper. Shops quoted me 350 to install but freelance guys told me 100-150 and they come to me.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model

I would like to add the same unit, but I just found out that the KSC-SW11 does not have an auto-turn on feature on the high level inputs, so I need to run a remove turn on wire. Can you please tell me from where did you get this additional 12V turn on signal?
Also, did you tap into both rears to get the signal? Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited: