Looking at moving to South Sound area

ranger4x

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 301a
Hey folks, I am currently located in Southern CA but have a lucrative opportunity to get up to an area wife and I have been looking at for a while, with someone else footing the moving bill. Our preference (ok, dream) would be Gig Harbor but more than likely we'll be looking at the Bonney Lake area. Any insight to that area from anyone living there? Or other areas close by? I'd need to be within reasonable (35-ish miles) driving distance of Kent as that is where I'd be working. Looking for a safe area with solid middle/high school. I appreciate any feedback you all can provide. Thanks!!
Sponsored

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I live in University Place- it is an awesome, safe neighborhood near everything. Fircrest is also highly regarded. North Tacoma (Proctor, Rustin Way) are also amazing places to live and are growing incredibly fast. Gig is great. I'd stay away from South Tacoma.
Federal Way also seems to be a growing area for folks who don't want to pay Seattle prices.

I can't speak to Bonney Lake, but it seems to be out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm looking to buy a house at the end of the year, and my preference list goes Proctor, Rustin, University Place, Gig in order of what I like the most. We lived in Northern CA and on the Central Coast (Paso) for 7 years before moving up to WA.

Traffic on the 5 heading north can be really crappy because it's under construction - take that into account.

OP
OP
ranger4x

ranger4x

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in University Place- it is an awesome, safe neighborhood near everything. Fircrest is also highly regarded. North Tacoma (Proctor, Rustin Way) are also amazing places to live and are growing incredibly fast. Gig is great. I'd stay away from South Tacoma.
Federal Way also seems to be a growing area for folks who don't want to pay Seattle prices.

I can't speak to Bonney Lake, but it seems to be out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm looking to buy a house at the end of the year, and my preference list goes Proctor, Rustin, University Place, Gig in order of what I like the most. We lived in Northern CA and on the Central Coast (Paso) for 7 years before moving up to WA.

Traffic on the 5 heading north can be really crappy because it's under construction - take that into account.
Thanks. We have seen the traffic on the 5 on each of our visits over the last couple years but compared to our IE to OC or LA traffic it wasn't nearly as bad. We'll be checking out areas over Spring Break in March so we will check out those listed. I appreciate the feedback. Wife wants a new build so that, and the school ratings, is what has us looking at Bonney Lake. If I can figure out the new build price in Gig Harbor we will do that, even with the bridge tolls.

Arejaytee

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
Bonney Lake is a great area, there’s everything you need or want and it’s not far from anything. Puyallup and Sumner are great areas as well with good schools. If you want out of the city a little bit, Graham area is a little more rural, but still pretty close. University place and Fircrest are nice areas but I would stay away from anything in Tacoma. The north end is nice but super expensive.
Gig Harbor is gorgeous but also expensive. It’s a bit further out to get anywhere and the bridge tolls would get old.
A lot of it will depend on your budget and what your after. I have some friends that are real estate agents if you need one. Also check out the local Ranger FB group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2795311977406237/

Hey folks, I am currently located in Southern CA but have a lucrative opportunity to get up to an area wife and I have been looking at for a while, with someone else footing the moving bill. Our preference (ok, dream) would be Gig Harbor but more than likely we'll be looking at the Bonney Lake area. Any insight to that area from anyone living there? Or other areas close by? I'd need to be within reasonable (35-ish miles) driving distance of Kent as that is where I'd be working. Looking for a safe area with solid middle/high school. I appreciate any feedback you all can provide. Thanks!!

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
Bonney lake is a nice area. If you're going to commute to Kent, maybe consider covington, maple valley, black diamond or ravensdale. All good places in my opinion.

OP
OP
ranger4x

ranger4x

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bonney lake is a nice area. If you're going to commute to Kent, maybe consider covington, maple valley, black diamond or ravensdale. All good places in my opinion.
Thank you, we will look into those

MattSucks

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I'm moving up that way too this summer. I have a good friend that lives in Bonney Lake with kids in middle and elementary school, they love it. I'll be driving up late March looking for a house to buy. We are looking at Puyallup area too. I'll be riding the sounder up to the city a few days a week and teleworking the rest of the time.

Kino

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 F150 Lariat, '21 BS BL, '18 GC, '74 Ghia
Occupation
Chair Warmer
I used to live in the Proctor District from the mid-90s to the early-2000s.. Great area! UP was also. Not sure how much has changes, but doubtful those two have.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tom,

Spent a few days in the Gig Harbor area....Beer overlooking harbor at Anthony's. Summertime... beautiful and peaceful.

best,
Phil

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I've lived all around socal (la, oc, sd) for almost my entire life. Just moved to the south sound last summer and I also work in Kent. For me, just because I was used to LA traffic didn't mean Seattle traffic was no big deal. Traffic around here is equally frustrating. I would try to keep my commute under 30 min.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I've lived all around socal (la, oc, sd) for almost my entire life. Just moved to the south sound last summer and I also work in Kent. For me, just because I was used to LA traffic didn't mean Seattle traffic was no big deal. Traffic around here is equally frustrating. I would try to keep my commute under 30 min.
if you will be commuting to Kent, SR 167 or maybe I-5 would be the highway of choice.
Generally speaking, Northbound is congested in the mornings around there and Southbound in the afternoons.

as a rule of thumb, i would say traffic is moving towards Seattle/Bellevue in the mornings and away in the afternoon.

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Traffic sucks here no matter what time of day you are driving especially on 167 or I5. Lots of housing in the area problem is finding one you don't get outbid on. Homes go up for sale on usually Thursday with open house on Friday Saturday and Sunday and usually pending by Tuesday. Seeing houses here in Sumner going for $50,000.00 more than asking price. It's stupid. If you take the Sounder then yeah it's better for you. My D.I.L. does that when she has to go to Seattle.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Traffic sucks here no matter what time of day you are driving especially on 167 or I5. Lots of housing in the area problem is finding one you don't get outbid on. Homes go up for sale on usually Thursday with open house on Friday Saturday and Sunday and usually pending by Tuesday. Seeing houses here in Sumner going for $50,000.00 more than asking price. It's stupid. If you take the Sounder then yeah it's better for you. My D.I.L. does that when she has to go to Seattle.
Hi Mike,

Same here in Green Valley....house is listed....shelf life before being sold...4 hours and a bidding war to boot...

Best,
Phil
Sponsored