Looking at a camper that was designed for a Tacoma.

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I have been looking at a lot of different camper shells for the 2025 Ranger I plan to buy. I fond the one I really like and then found out they don't make them anymore. Now, I have found one for sale and it is designed for a Tacoma.

Does anyone know where I can get the dimensions for the bed and cab height for a 2005 and later Tacoma and for a 2024 Ranger. I am am pretty sure the 2025 Ranger will be the same as 2024. This camper has an overhang above the cab and fits pretty close. It appears to match the contour of the top of the cab.

I don't mind buying it now if I know it has a good chance to fit.
Sponsored

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I have been looking at a lot of different camper shells for the 2025 Ranger I plan to buy. I fond the one I really like and then found out they don't make them anymore. Now, I have found one for sale and it is designed for a Tacoma.

Does anyone know where I can get the dimensions for the bed and cab height for a 2005 and later Tacoma and for a 2024 Ranger. I am am pretty sure the 2025 Ranger will be the same as 2024. This camper has an overhang above the cab and fits pretty close. It appears to match the contour of the top of the cab.

I don't mind buying it now if I know it has a good chance to fit.
Patience young grasshopper.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
As WingShot said: patience. After the 6G are out for a while, manufacturers will begin making them specifically for the Ranger.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
As mentioned, Capri Camper makes one for midsize trucks that will fit. IIRC it weighs about 700 lb.

OP
OP

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
2024 Ford Ranger
Thank you for the information. That looks like exactly what I need for the Ranger. Now I need something like that for the Tacoma.

When I saw page 5, I thought I found everything I need. Then I realized those numbers were codes. I then found a list of codes with dimensions. Then I realized I could not find all the codes. The one that is very important is H769 (cargo floor to cab height), I could not find. I will have to study everything some more and may be able to use other dimensions to calculate what I need.

OP
OP

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Patience young grasshopper.
Patience is something I am not good at. After being on Earth for 76 years, I would not consider me a young grasshopper. I for sure am not studying to be a Shaolin Monk. Maybe old grasshopper would be appropriate. :like:

OP
OP

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Check out Capri campers, they make all sizes & will build them any way you want. I bought an 8' non cabover since it's just me & really like it. https://capricamper.com/
IMG_1487.JPG
I have looked at about everything out there and very few come close to what I want. I go out typically for 3 weeks at a time in very remote wilderness. I need to carry a lot of supplies and want a camper that is very light, small and expandable. I go through some very rough terrain sometimes and top heavy is very bad for me. I also like something that is somewhat aerodynamic.

This camper shell I am considering is around 200lbs. I have not found any that are that light. Even my current Wildernest camper is abut 350 lbs. This new one is kind of like my Wildernest in that is is a hard body shell but opens up with an expanded tent. I prefer the way my Wildernest opens up but it is 33 years old. I have kept it in good condition but I am pretty sure it is a little too small for the newer Rangers. It is on a 2002 Ranger now. Now that I have the dimensions of the 2024 Ranger, I can get a better feel if I can get it to work on a new Ranger, but it is still is 33 year old and may just stay on my current Ranger.

OP
OP

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
As WingShot said: patience. After the 6G are out for a while, manufacturers will begin making them specifically for the Ranger.
The manufacturer of the camper I am interested in was supposed to design one for the newer Rangers but went out of business during the Pandemic. I doubt they will start up again.

OP
OP

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
As mentioned, Capri Camper makes one for midsize trucks that will fit. IIRC it weighs about 700 lb.
I found one that I like that is an expandable hardside even in is expanded configuration. I really like the idea of the hardside especially in windy conditions. It weighs 700 to 800 lbs and is not what I consider very aerodynamic. I know 700 lbs is considered pretty light for a camper but I would like it much lighter for what I do with it.

This other camper I am considering at 200 lbs is even less weight than I would consider light.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I have looked at about everything out there and very few come close to what I want. I go out typically for 3 weeks at a time in very remote wilderness. I need to carry a lot of supplies and want a camper that is very light, small and expandable. I go through some very rough terrain sometimes and top heavy is very bad for me. I also like something that is somewhat aerodynamic.

This camper shell I am considering is around 200lbs. I have not found any that are that light. Even my current Wildernest camper is abut 350 lbs. This new one is kind of like my Wildernest in that is is a hard body shell but opens up with an expanded tent. I prefer the way my Wildernest opens up but it is 33 years old. I have kept it in good condition but I am pretty sure it is a little too small for the newer Rangers. It is on a 2002 Ranger now. Now that I have the dimensions of the 2024 Ranger, I can get a better feel if I can get it to work on a new Ranger, but it is still is 33 year old and may just stay on my current Ranger.
random question, wouldn't a rough travel trailer work better? something like https://www.blackseries.net/travel-trailers/hq12.html

that way you don't lose your entire hauling capacity for just the camper shell.

With a load limit of 1400-1700 lbs a 1,000 pounds of camper means you are not hauling that much stuff.

meanwhile you could get a 4,000# off road travel trailer, put 4-500pounds on the hitch and still have 1,000 pounds for truck loadout.

OP
OP

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I worked for many years as a truck driver and most of it was driving semis. So, I have the expertise of pulling a trailer. The problem with a trailer is, it limits places you can go. I have been on trips with other people that were pulling trailers and several times had to help them get turned around by disconnecting, manually turning the trailer around and reconnecting. It took several people and a lot of effort to do this. We had to do this because we could not go forward anymore and there was no place for a vehicle with a trailer to turn around.

There are many places I go that it would be very dangerous to be towing a trailer. Yes, It would be nice to be able to pull into a boondock campground and have a place to sleep with out having to set up a campsite, but to me it would not be worth the effort of having to deal with pulling a trailer all day just to have an easy camp setup.

I have seen so many of my friends that tow a trailers off-road that have had trouble with the trailer breaking in some way. Traveling off-road is hard on any vehicle and adding another thing that can break is not a good idea.

Travelling light is the best way to reduce break downs as well as being able to go over difficult terrain with out fear of bottoming out, sliding off the trail or tripping over. Plus it is easier on the drive train and consumes lees fuel which sometime is a long trip to find fuel when off-road.

There are trailers that are build for off-road, but I have decided a trailer is not for me
Sponsored

Last edited: