Looking At A Used SmartCap

BryanJay

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I’ve been wanting a SmartCap for a while now, seems to best fit our needs (secure storage and ability to carry a RTT now and then). In an attempt to save a few nickels, I’ve been watching the used market. For those of you with SmartCaps, just wondering what sorts of things I should be looking out for when looking at a used one, outside of the obvious “are all of the parts present”. Are there any points of failure that would be a red flag?
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I don't have a smart cap but I a few on here have said the joints leaked

maybe rename this thread? I thought you were selling 1

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't have a smart cap but I a few on here have said the joints leaked

maybe rename this thread? I thought you were selling 1
So did I and at first thought it was in the wrong area.

@BryanJay if you want to rename it let me know what you'd like it to read and I can do it for you.

ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst
Just make sure all the bolts holding the 5 main pieces together are re-torqued. The manual says it should be done at least once a year. People get leaking because they don’t re-torque them like the should. They vibrate loose eventually. If you off-road a lot, do it more often. Check the struts in the side doors and make sure they aren’t blown out. Also check the latches / keys. The tumblers in some of the older ones get gummed up with dirt and you won’t be able to lock it. Super easy to clean, but just make sure the key actually goes in and can turn.

I have a full driver side bin and pass ever side half bin for sale if you find a cap :)

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I’ve been wanting a SmartCap for a while now, seems to best fit our needs (secure storage and ability to carry a RTT now and then). In an attempt to save a few nickels, I’ve been watching the used market. For those of you with SmartCaps, just wondering what sorts of things I should be looking out for when looking at a used one, outside of the obvious “are all of the parts present”. Are there any points of failure that would be a red flag?
They are very solid caps as long as you retorque to spec (I think they were in INCH/LBS) and check the struts. The window leaked but RSI. Sent me new gaskets and they no longer leak (my dog tore the original).

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Just make sure all the bolts holding the 5 main pieces together are re-torqued. The manual says it should be done at least once a year. People get leaking because they don’t re-torque them like the should. They vibrate loose eventually. If you off-road a lot, do it more often. Check the struts in the side doors and make sure they aren’t blown out. Also check the latches / keys. The tumblers in some of the older ones get gummed up with dirt and you won’t be able to lock it. Super easy to clean, but just make sure the key actually goes in and can turn.

I have a full driver side bin and pass ever side half bin for sale if you find a cap :)
How much are you selling the bins?

OP
OP
BryanJay

BryanJay

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. Had a likely candidate but it got snapped up pretty quick. The search continues…

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
There's one for sale near me, but buying new might be less that the trip from Alberta to pick it up :( It does have bins and the kitchen though.
Sponsored