Limited Slip Differential?

jleds

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Double check with them because we have the Dana M220 on most trucks here, also some may have tue M200 wich is still different then fhe rangers out there
Ah thanks for the heads up. I'll ask for the specifics
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Heard back from Harrop and they said it should fit the open diffs. It's a lot of cash but at least we're headed in the right track lol and it's from Eaton
I put a limited slip in my old Ranger bought from Ford Motorsport. It was only $250 but that was a long time ago. It was well worth the effort and served me well.
Of course that truck had an 8.8 rearend, same as the Mustang, so it was plentiful. I spent a little over 4 hours to install it.
Don't forget the friction improver if needed.
I am a little concerned about how the electronic traction control and vectoring might work with the limited slip .
Let us know how it goes, I might consider doing the same job.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I put a limited slip in my old Ranger bought from Ford Motorsport. It was only $250 but that was a long time ago. It was well worth the effort and served me well.
Of course that truck had an 8.8 rearend, same as the Mustang, so it was plentiful. I spent a little over 4 hours to install it.
Don't forget the friction improver if needed.
I am a little concerned about how the electronic traction control and vectoring might work with the limited slip .
Let us know how it goes, I might consider doing the same job.
The TrueTrac from Eaton doesnt need a friction modifier actually!! Why? Because it is all mechanical helical gears!! One down side to it is that when one wheel is not touching the ground it acts like an open diff

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
The TrueTrac from Eaton doesnt need a friction modifier actually!! Why? Because it is all mechanical helical gears!! One down side to it is that when one wheel is not touching the ground it acts like an open diff
Makes sense, I have seen their construction, but have never installed one.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
ARB makes air lockers for us, front and rear both. They do say that you will need a new ring and pinion for a Heep Gladiator that uses the same rear because the ring gear is welded to the carrier on the Ranger. That said, Heep owners love spending money (Jeep=Just Empty Every Pocket) so it may be only a matter of time until there is a limited-slip for them that will work for us.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
You can replace the complete rear axle, but you're looking at almost $2k with labor.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You can replace the complete rear axle, but you're looking at almost $2k with labor.
Going to E Locker or air Locker it's still going to cost you about the same it's just a question of which route you would rather go. Something to remember about air Locker is you still need to get a new ring and pinion because Ford had a better idea and you need to get a compressor in order to run the air Locker.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If you use the unit out of the FX2 or FX4, all you need is to run some power to it. I actually found what I wanted in a wrecking yard in Alabama. The nut case wanted more money (no fright included), than I can buy a new one from my local dealer!

And speaking of Ford's better idea....

The issue is, the rear is not like most differentials, in that the third member is actually a part of the axel housing, and not directly replaceable as a unit. If it were, you'd be looking at about $800 give or take, to install a locker. About $1,200 for a Torsen.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you use the unit out of the FX2 or FX4, all you need is to run some power to it. I actually found what I wanted in a wrecking yard in Alabama. The nut case wanted more money (no fright included), than I can buy a new one from my local dealer!

And speaking of Ford's better idea....

The issue is, the rear is not like most differentials, in that the third member is actually a part of the axel housing, and not directly replaceable as a unit. If it were, you'd be looking at about $800 give or take, to install a locker. About $1,200 for a Torsen.
The price of a locker from a RV is right above the ground plus the price for a ring and pinion set and installation kit for the differential along with a compressor you're talking about two grand. Amount for a whole axle swap that's used from a FX4 or FX2 but as long as it's a locking diff from Ford the axle will drop in. Again you're talking about the same
Sponsored