Grimlock

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat / 2019 Edge ST
Vehicle Showcase
Yes stock vs. various maps on 93 octane.

img].jpg
This is what I was referring to. In your forums I saw this.

"
ap0: Fully disable JB4
Map1: +3.5psi peak over stock, default map, suitable for all fuels.
Map2: +3.5psi peak, less top end taper, more aggressive version of map1.
Map3: +4psi peak, suggested for 93 octane or up to 30% E85 mixtures.
Map4: +6psi peak, suggested for 30% E85 mixtures and/or unleaded race fuel
Map5: +7psi peak, suggested for 30% E85 mixtures and/or unleaded race fuel
Map6: User adjustable by RPM map on user adjustment page, values are peak boost over stock by RPM under heavy throttle."

But I'm not seeing map 3 for 93 octane on your graph. Or am I just reading the mapping wrong.
Sponsored

Terry@BMS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 Raptor, 2018 F150
Occupation
Tuner
The map listing is set as more conservative for now as we allow more customer data to come in.

Grimlock

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, so I'm seeing 3.5psi for map 2 which I take is for 91 octane or 93 then the graph goes to race fuel or high E85 mixtures at map 4. I live in Akansas so not sure what my 93 octane qualifies at and what mapping I can run. Hence I was looking at map 3 which you do not show hp/tq numbers in.

Terry@BMS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tuner
Once installed just record a JB4 log on map2, email it in, and we can help you get as much as you safely can out of whatever your specific fuel quality is.

Grimlock

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I actually do not have it. I'm wondering what map 3 give as out for HP and Tq numbers.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
How would you rate the JB4 as a stand alone product? Trying to debate whether or not it would be beneficial to stack with a tune or to use it by itself. Thanks in advance.
Have never used JB4 but will soon on Ranger.
5 years on VW Golf Forum I have heard much about JB4. The preferred piggy back module. Plug and play but also ability to adjust. Can also be stacked with others tunes. I do not have experience but the high Hp GTI AND R owners used it in racing with ECU tunes. They are known for good support, and module can be sold when you are finished and others hook up and use.

CharChar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
Any discount codes for Ranger 5g? :)

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
First impressions:

Install is exceptionally easy -- only "tough" issues are snaking the OBDII connector cable through the firewall and finding a graceful mounting for the control unit itself. Think I'm leaning towards behind the fender vent.

Have tried maps 1, 3 and 4. Outstanding power delivery. Very smooth and seamless.

Map 1 feels similar to have gearshift in "S" without the higher shift points and delayed down shifts. Same performance without the "look at me" audio track.

Maps 3 & 4 simply add more urgency without unnecessary drama.

Terry at BMS and his staff offer fantastic support. All questions were answered promptly and well.

Pros:
Easy hardware only install, no electronic fingerprints once removed.
All the Ford adaptive octane and safety protocols remain in place.
Super smooth, unobtrusive power gains.
Fully portable across different VIN's
Impeccable customer service.

Cons:
Awkward mounting options
Have to purchase a cable, or bluetooth adapter to alter default settings, capture logging or enable the more aggressive maps.
No ability to alter the Ford configs. Can't duplicate Forscan, doesn't try to. For some, probably an issue.

Honestly, no regrets at all. Very likely will purchase a 2nd for the FX4. Like any tuning options, comes with risks but at less than half the cost of the Roush or FPP options, with far higher gains and the lack of the e-fingerprints made this a great path for me.

J_D

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
yep i second the discount
I'll third that.

No ranger5g discount, no purchase.
This setup already has the lower end of all tuners power output.
I'm ready to purchase someones tuner now.

EDIT: never mind. they choose not to sell to California residents. Good luck guys! Not trying to be a dic* but probably will be taken that way.

Last edited:

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Good morning fellow Ranger-heads!
I apologize for the long delay on getting you some real concrete feedback but I have been dealing with a few technical difficulties. I see we have some other members that have given a good overlook on the JB4, that’s great to see.

I will be getting my final JB4 (hopefully) in the next week or so and I plan on running some in-depth testing so I can provide as much feed back to you all as possible. @Terry@BMS and Payam have been great considering we have been sending the unit back and forth for months. The next shipment I get will be the golden goose with a Bluetooth adapter so I can give you all real status. They have been great working with me to get this running at its optimal capacity.
It’s not easy developing on this platform but they are just about done with it.

I hope I can change a lot of the doubters in this thread because @Terry@BMS makes a good product that is a great alternative to a flash tune.

@Terry@BMS thank you for being so willing to let me help and I am awaiting my updated unit with Bluetooth so I can run test for everyone in the real world. I already bought the app (not cheap) so its important i can relay all my data.

Guys please stay patient, we have had a lot of disruptions with COVID and now all this racism, its just a hard time for a lot of people and I know our truck is ones thing that brings us joy.

I will update with pic installs and first impression with in the next 2-3 weeks.

Again big thank you to Terry and Payam.

Terry@BMS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tuner
We've got around 30 of the Ranger JB4 systems out now and feedback has been pretty good. A few bugs have cropped up, mostly due to warehouse staff here assembling systems wrong, but that has been sorted now as well.

The JB4 is a great alternative to flashing with more features but another nice feature of the JB4 is it's also compatible with ANY flash tune. Allowing fine tuning, boost by gear, detailed logging, additional safety systems, ethanol fuel support, etc.

In terms of the pricing regular price is $479, the intro price is $429 and will remain so for a few more months. If you want the app+bluetooth that is an extra $169 and if you're OK with using a laptop instead the data cable is $35 and windows software free. Of course, you can also just install and enjoy with no connection if you prefer it comes on map1 by default.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Good morning fellow Ranger-heads!
I apologize for the long delay on getting you some real concrete feedback but I have been dealing with a few technical difficulties. I see we have some other members that have given a good overlook on the JB4, that’s great to see.

I will be getting my final JB4 (hopefully) in the next week or so and I plan on running some in-depth testing so I can provide as much feed back to you all as possible. @Terry@BMS and Payam have been great considering we have been sending the unit back and forth for months. The next shipment I get will be the golden goose with a Bluetooth adapter so I can give you all real status. They have been great working with me to get this running at its optimal capacity.
It’s not easy developing on this platform but they are just about done with it.

I hope I can change a lot of the doubters in this thread because @Terry@BMS makes a good product that is a great alternative to a flash tune.

@Terry@BMS thank you for being so willing to let me help and I am awaiting my updated unit with Bluetooth so I can run test for everyone in the real world. I already bought the app (not cheap) so its important i can relay all my data.

Guys please stay patient, we have had a lot of disruptions with COVID and now all this racism, its just a hard time for a lot of people and I know our truck is ones thing that brings us joy.

I will update with pic installs and first impression with in the next 2-3 weeks.

Again big thank you to Terry and Payam.
Confused in Sandman Land!
I have known about JB4 for many years on the MK7 GTI FORUM.
JB4 has been active in that platform for a long, long time. I ran a NPM Neuspeed Power Module on my GTI till Unitronic tune. NPM not as loved as JB4 by most so all I ever heard was about JB4. Due to this I have stuck with my Ranger JB4 unit but your info is odd.
You get your final unit next week?
You just now are adding Bluetooth? How have you logged up to now? Direct cord?
I ask this because I have had my (purchased) JB4 for over a month. Bluetooth the same time. Purchased meaning I thought final product form.
So, current issues:
Bluetooth will not fully work yet. Hit or miss and have tried two updates. One can change maps but I can not read and clear codes.
I have had two limp mode issues. Both occured after stops at Lowe's (odd but not sure why). Get back in truck and on restart I am in limp mode. Not having Bluetooth working I can not check or reset codes with JB4. Get home and unhook JB4, car runs fine but code must be reset. Since purchased OBD2 reader so I can read and reset. Running JB4 now and no issue for a week but not due to any fix. Not yet. Bluetooth worked for 5 starts after uploading new program.
Terry has been helpful, taking emails at anytime and any day. I guess my issue is am I the only one? 30 people is a lot and the issues I am having are more like I am developing the unit.
The OP is the test subject and only next week he gets a final unit? Only now he is testing Bluetooth?
The other issue I have and maybe the 30 users can help. Running the small cord from OBD2 back to the module in engine, where did you run the cord? I tried through the boot they suggest but the plug, not large but not small can not just be pushed through a hole one makes. I pulled the hood latch cable back toward engine and fished this plug through. Then pulled hood cable back in place. The issue will be I see no way to pull back out, as the plug is large enough to make this hard and I can not reach down to the rubber boot to help get it started. For a return to dealer I can only see cutting the cable and pulling it out. Then buy replacement cable. Or cable stays in place and I tuck away to hide.
I share this to not bash JB4, as I hope my issues get worked out, but I share with Forum Members who we are apart of as a team. Planning a drive to Alabama and wonder if I should unhook JB4, as explaining to my Wife why my new truck is in limp mode is not cool. Pulling over to unhook wires, hooking up OBD2 reader to clear codes will arise suspension.
Frustrated in Sandman Land.

9C2AD89E-D8C7-4A83-91D4-525367A4B271.jpeg

880C2646-17F3-43D5-B3FC-1B3243A77DB4.jpeg

Terry@BMS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tuner
Keep in mind it's BETA so we've been patching things as we see them come up across various models and driving conditions. As for the startup fault load up v3 firmware in the app and drop me an email if you continue to have any faults, we'll get it sorted for you. We fixed a startup fault in v3.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Keep in mind it's BETA so we've been patching things as we see them come up across various models and driving conditions. As for the startup fault load up v3 firmware in the app and drop me an email if you continue to have any faults, we'll get it sorted for you. We fixed a startup fault in v3.
As is JB4 reputation, a quick reply.
Thanks for info I did not get or understand that on our last talk.
This is good then. Look forward to blue tooth fix.
Any suggestion on my cable question? Getting back out seems like an issue. Or is there a better location to run? I shared my issues because that is what forums are for. So my team mates can know going into a purchase. Up to know I have waited, giving JB4 time. But learning the OP (test unit) is just getting delivered, sounded odd.
Sponsored