JB4 Tune (Burger Motorsports)

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Confused in Sandman Land!
I have known about JB4 for many years on the MK7 GTI FORUM.
JB4 has been active in that platform for a long, long time. I ran a NPM Neuspeed Power Module on my GTI till Unitronic tune. NPM not as loved as JB4 by most so all I ever heard was about JB4. Due to this I have stuck with my Ranger JB4 unit but your info is odd.
You get your final unit next week?
You just now are adding Bluetooth? How have you logged up to now? Direct cord?
I ask this because I have had my (purchased) JB4 for over a month. Bluetooth the same time. Purchased meaning I thought final product form.
So, current issues:
Bluetooth will not fully work yet. Hit or miss and have tried two updates. One can change maps but I can not read and clear codes.
I have had two limp mode issues. Both occured after stops at Lowe's (odd but not sure why). Get back in truck and on restart I am in limp mode. Not having Bluetooth working I can not check or reset codes with JB4. Get home and unhook JB4, car runs fine but code must be reset. Since purchased OBD2 reader so I can read and reset. Running JB4 now and no issue for a week but not due to any fix. Not yet. Bluetooth worked for 5 starts after uploading new program.
Terry has been helpful, taking emails at anytime and any day. I guess my issue is am I the only one? 30 people is a lot and the issues I am having are more like I am developing the unit.
The OP is the test subject and only next week he gets a final unit? Only now he is testing Bluetooth?
The other issue I have and maybe the 30 users can help. Running the small cord from OBD2 back to the module in engine, where did you run the cord? I tried through the boot they suggest but the plug, not large but not small can not just be pushed through a hole one makes. I pulled the hood latch cable back toward engine and fished this plug through. Then pulled hood cable back in place. The issue will be I see no way to pull back out, as the plug is large enough to make this hard and I can not reach down to the rubber boot to help get it started. For a return to dealer I can only see cutting the cable and pulling it out. Then buy replacement cable. Or cable stays in place and I tuck away to hide.
I share this to not bash JB4, as I hope my issues get worked out, but I share with Forum Members who we are apart of as a team. Planning a drive to Alabama and wonder if I should unhook JB4, as explaining to my Wife why my new truck is in limp mode is not cool. Pulling over to unhook wires, hooking up OBD2 reader to clear codes will arise suspension.
Frustrated in Sandman Land.

9C2AD89E-D8C7-4A83-91D4-525367A4B271.jpeg

880C2646-17F3-43D5-B3FC-1B3243A77DB4.jpeg
Yeah i ran the cord through the preexisting fire wall hole. It was not easy but I got it done. As for getting it out well I haven’t had to yet, i keep it in and tuck it away. If you are not comfortable doing that when taking it to Ford for a related issue I would 100% just cut it if i could not get it out. It’s just a cord, price is extremely low compared to voiding ur warranty.

I did have the bluetooth in early stages of beta but my last unit did not have it because BMS thought everything was figured out. I of course want it to share more info with you guys so that is why I requested it again. I never had issues with it not connecting to my phone.
Sponsored

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Yeah i ran the cord through the preexisting fire wall hole. It was not easy but I got it done. As for getting it out well I haven’t had to yet, i keep it in and tuck it away. If you are not comfortable doing that when taking it to Ford for a related issue I would 100% just cut it if i could not get it out. It’s just a cord, price is extremely low compared to voiding ur warranty.

I did have the bluetooth in early stages of beta but my last unit did not have it because BMS thought everything was figured out. I of course want it to share more info with you guys so that is why I requested it again. I never had issues with it not connecting to my phone.
Thanks.

Terry@BMS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 Raptor, 2018 F150
Occupation
Tuner
On the OBDII question not quite following. Appears you have it routed in the photo? This is from the install guide.

obdii_routing.jpg

Last edited:

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
On the OBDII question not quite following. Appears you have it routed in the photo?
It is hooked up in photo.
Ran through existing hole the hood latch cable runs through. Pulled hood cable toward engine and fished JB4 through. They are now side by side. Had to tape JB4 plug head to a coat hanger and pull. But getting back out the head will have to be taped again but the hood cable on the engine side has a plastic stop around it. I would need to fish by hand to clear, and I can not reach this. Hard fluid lines in the way.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
On the OBDII question not quite following. Appears you have it routed in the photo? This is from the install guide.

obdii_routing.jpg
I tried here but could never get it going. I ran it along the other cable in picture. Hood release cable. Pulling out of either spot will likely pull plug head off. I think.

J_D

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Any idea when this is no longer be a beta program? You guys seem to have nailed the mustang 2.3 but this is still in beta?

Last edited:

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
It’s only “beta” because you need a certain amount of hours with out adjustment. You can still buy it then update the software for free if anything comes up.

I will finally be testing the complete set up for all you patient forum members. Give me through the weekend and I’ll picture installs and real time stats.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Even with V3, not only do I get and Collision Avoidance fault, Wrench fault and the occasional limp home on short off time restarts (park for 5 mins, fully up to temp), but I've gotten the faults in heavy freeway traffic.

Hoping for the next release!!

Still, very pleased with my JB4. Love the performance gains and that with 5 mins notice, can turn the keys over to Ford and they are none the wiser.

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Even with V3, not only do I get and Collision Avoidance fault, Wrench fault and the occasional limp home on short off time restarts (park for 5 mins, fully up to temp), but I've gotten the faults in heavy freeway traffic.

Hoping for the next release!!

Still, very pleased with my JB4. Love the performance gains and that with 5 mins notice, can turn the keys over to Ford and they are none the wiser.
You are experiencing all those problems still? And you keep running it? Why?

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
You are experiencing all those problems still? And you keep running it? Why?
Easy!

1st, I bought into a known beta product, not going to abandon it just because it's still in beta testing.

Add in the competitive cost and performance gains and it's still a very attractive product from a long trusted supplier of a quality product.

Lastly, with the new vehicle warranty, the hardware only solution with no electronic fingerprints is exceptionally useful In light of the reality of very aggressive warranty claim investigations.

Whd1736

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Corvette - 2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Anymore updates to this? Or still staying in beta?

Terry@BMS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tuner
Quite a few sold and working well. We'll remove the BETA designation in the near future.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Quite a few sold and working well. We'll remove the BETA designation in the near future.
Terry,
Unit has run well but I have had two incindents where I get a wrench symbol with an alert. The info shown is for a forward collision error.
The wrench shows but engine is not in limp mode. Happened on restarts or start ups in driveway. In each case I turned truck off and let it sit 5 min and restated. On restart, no fault and wrench is reset and gone. Drives fine. I did not get to pull codes to see if any exist. I will try but have been busy with Wife who fell and broke her hip.
Wanted to share as I have not emailed you. Anyone else experience.
Are there any new updates since last? I will check later.

Terry@BMS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tuner
If you or anyone else ever needs tech support you'd have to email us. I don't think this forum very often.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Found this video on way to get to cab without going through steering wheel boot, which is hard. I may order a new plug and try this route. Easier to hide also under carpet or remove.

Sponsored