JB4 Tune (Burger Motorsports)

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Does anyone have any time using the jb4 that would like to give a review? Can't seem to find much about it on here other than talking about getting it.

Reactions: Doc

MiataBro11

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor / 1994 Mazda Miata Racecar
Occupation
Research Lab Tech
Does anyone have any time using the jb4 that would like to give a review? Can't seem to find much about it on here other than talking about getting it.
I have had it for over 2 years now on 2 different Rangers. I would say I love it 95% of the time. Most of the time it is just seamless extra power when your on it, and stock drivability when you are cruising. It has some "custom" tuning capability and logging which is nice if you want that, and can run different maps. My only gripe with it is I have had the short off time, hot restart limp mode issue that others have talked about in this post. Basically if I stop at a store/restaurant/etc and go in for say sub 5min, when I come back out and start my truck it will go into limp mode. I just have to turn it off and wait a bit and then it is fine, and this scenario happens to me maybe once every couple months, but still it is an issue that has yet to be solved in the two years I have had it. Hopefully that gives you some info. I can gladly chime in if you have any other specific questions.

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
I have had it for over 2 years now on 2 different Rangers. I would say I love it 95% of the time. Most of the time it is just seamless extra power when your on it, and stock drivability when you are cruising. It has some "custom" tuning capability and logging which is nice if you want that, and can run different maps. My only gripe with it is I have had the short off time, hot restart limp mode issue that others have talked about in this post. Basically if I stop at a store/restaurant/etc and go in for say sub 5min, when I come back out and start my truck it will go into limp mode. I just have to turn it off and wait a bit and then it is fine, and this scenario happens to me maybe once every couple months, but still it is an issue that has yet to be solved in the two years I have had it. Hopefully that gives you some info. I can gladly chime in if you have any other specific questions.
That is exactly the type of info I wanted to know! It seems like the best way to get a "tune" and still maintain the 5 year warranty. Thanks for your response.

Mike

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
As long as you don't dial it up too much it's great and doesn't drive-ability
That is a good point. I wouldn't plan on going above map 3. Most likely would only use map 1 for a slight bump. Thanks

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
There was an update for this.
I was also told to start in sequence.
turn key to auxiliary position. Wait 1 sec then start. If you get in and spin key there is not time for JB4 to do a hand shake with truck computer.

MiataBro11

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor / 1994 Mazda Miata Racecar
Occupation
Research Lab Tech
turn key to auxiliary position. Wait 1 sec then start. If you get in and spin key there is not time for JB4 to do a hand shake with truck computer.
Thanks for the heads-up. I am on the current stable build, and I saw in the change notes when it was "fixed" but the problem has always persisted for me. But I did not know about the staged start sequence. I will definitely make sure I do that from now on and hopefully that fixes that problem for me.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
That is exactly the type of info I wanted to know! It seems like the best way to get a "tune" and still maintain the 5 year warranty. Thanks for your response.

Mike
How many stored limp mode events do you think it would take to cause a dealership to be concerned?
Seems like that would be complete pain in the ass in a Lariat.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I have followed the VW GTI forum since 2014. On this forum the JB4 unit is looked at as the best option for piggy back tune. So much that they hassled anyone running another option. I never used JB4 on my GTI but used Neuspeed Power Module for 2 years until I went with a software tune from Unitronic. On the Ranger I used an early beta model of JB4. The first unit was not wired correct. At first they wanted me to change wiring in plug, but after sending pictures they just made me a new unit. New unit went in fine and worked. I did have issue with communication with cell phone which was never perfect. I could change tune settings but could not receive all data that is displayed on phone app. Regarding engine performance it did a lot for Ranger. Big change. But since it did not change transmission the engine and trans never seemed to work well. Jerky. My GTI Unitronic tune had a program for engine and trans. Worked well together. Car now 7 years old.

Last Christmas driving Ranger down to Alabama I had engine go to limp. Checked all, nothing found. Turned truck off and back on. No errors. Drove another 10 miles then limp mode again. Not wanting to risk being stuck after hours and before Christmas I stopped and remove JB4. Start up and 9 months later no issues as I have not put JB4 back on. I feel I must have had a plug or wiring issue on JB4. Having a tuned GTI. I told myself to leave truck stock as it is my daily driver.
If I ever tune, I would use the Ford Performance tune. I understand it also adjust transmission which I feel is needed in Ranger.

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
How many stored limp mode events do you think it would take to cause a dealership to be concerned?

Seems like that would be complete pain in the ass in a Lariat.
I think you're correct with numerous limp modes. What I've read that has bee. Fixed with a firmware update so that seems to be a non issue.

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
I have followed the VW GTI forum since 2014. On this forum the JB4 unit is looked at as the best option for piggy back tune. So much that they hassled anyone running another option. I never used JB4 on my GTI but used Neuspeed Power Module for 2 years until I went with a software tune from Unitronic. On the Ranger I used an early beta model of JB4. The first unit was not wired correct. At first they wanted me to change wiring in plug, but after sending pictures they just made me a new unit. New unit went in fine and worked. I did have issue with communication with cell phone which was never perfect. I could change tune settings but could not receive all data that is displayed on phone app. Regarding engine performance it did a lot for Ranger. Big change. But since it did not change transmission the engine and trans never seemed to work well. Jerky. My GTI Unitronic tune had a program for engine and trans. Worked well together. Car now 7 years old.

Last Christmas driving Ranger down to Alabama I had engine go to limp. Checked all, nothing found. Turned truck off and back on. No errors. Drove another 10 miles then limp mode again. Not wanting to risk being stuck after hours and before Christmas I stopped and remove JB4. Start up and 9 months later no issues as I have not put JB4 back on. I feel I must have had a plug or wiring issue on JB4. Having a tuned GTI. I told myself to leave truck stock as it is my daily driver.
If I ever tune, I would use the Ford Performance tune. I understand it also adjust transmission which I feel is needed in Ranger.
Interesting. That does not sound good.

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
This still seems to be the Thread for JB4 Ford ranger even though it is older now. I just got a 2022 Ranger Tremor with 5k miles. I put about 100 miles on it stock. I have recently installed the JB4 and here is the REAL Deal about the product. I don't have Dyno data but TBH, that is just technical performance. Everything stock except the JB4 and AEM drop in Dry Flow Filter. I am telling the reality of owning one of these. Here it is.

The Install was simple but not without it qwerks. Hard part is running the OBD2 cable. There is no good spot to run a line other than drill a hole or through Dash harness on the driver side. I tried cutting through but that was a waste. Pull back the rubber cover edge and slide the cable around instead of through. It is small enough not to get pinched off and way easier. Just get a hanger or wire to push deep enough to get it for the engine compartment. The rest is simple. I zip tied it to the Battery belt for now. There are not a bunch of places to secure it but the cables are long enough to put it just about anywhere. They are braided and seem quality. The line from the Module to the OBD2 is cheap but effective. The connector to the OBD2 port is suspect but functional, and locks into place.

The Engine bay hookups. You need to remove part of the fan shroud on the front to get to the Intercooler terminal. that is 2 mins. The other connection point is visible on the driver side under the intake manifold. Like i said, simple. Minus the passthrough time for the OBD2, it is literally 10 mins. Done the way I explained you're talking 15mins.

Out of the box you get Map1 of 8 from the base kit. No MAP switching, no app to use, nothing! $530 for that. THIS IS NOT LIKE A ECU TUNE!. Throttle response, shifting, limiters, are all stock. It feels just like a stock ranger in Map1 for the most part. Except when you get on it!!. Starting at 2500 rpm's there is a noticeable up lift in performance. 30-80 MPH wide open is where you are going to notice more response from the turbo. It is stated about +3.5 boost. That feels about right. 91-93 octane only. For plus $500, it can be debated if other mods are worth it. Now to the real Talk.

The Best Setup. In my opinion, This thing really only gets worth it when you Purchase the whole package. I mean the Bluetooth ($149), and the APP ($27). The base unit is only the Module. The data cable is an extra $40! Why? It is needed to unlock the other maps with a Laptop/pc. I'm sure with a little digging you find one for under $10. (just sell it with everything). IMO, who wants to run a data cable to the cab just to need PC to set the Maps. Maybe if your setting it once.(Example. you plug in the base unit, defaults to Map1. Now you are dedicated to 93 octane until you remove it) Blahh.

With the $150 BT connector you get the Privilege to buy the $27 app. As you can tell this is annoying. It is not about the money which I will get to in a minute. Rather, it is about the nickel and dime game when they don't explain the need for all of it to functions fully. If I was to buy just the Module, I would be super pissed when i find out the limitations. BT connectors are not $150 anywhere in the world but you need that one specifically. Ok, finally the upside.

So $530 + $149 + $27 +Tax, you have the full kit just the way they advertise. Now this gets interesting. Map2 much better than Map1. You start to feel the boost sooner and it pushes +4lbs all the way to redline. It really is that much better! On Map3 it again gets better sooner and just more of everything. Still at 93. Map3 I feel is the sweet spot (I think +5.5lbs). That is as far as I went on 93 which is the fuel limit. Per recco by Terry at BMS you need better fuel above Map3. Big Shout out to TERRY@BMS, as he responded quickly even on a Sunday. I emailed him logs and everything.(one big plus with the App is logging to your phone and ability to email it direct. It also has customizable graphs for your metrics and gauges.)

Currently running Map 4 with E30 mix, This setting gets on it. Something like +6.5-7 Lbs with a taper at higher RPMs. It logged 21-23 Lbs+ above 4k RPMs. The torque dumps the ass and it wants to break loose. It is quicker that my sisters 3.5L turbo F-150 for real. It really is a game changer. It feels normal/sleepy until you go half throttle. Map 5 is +7lbs so i am told, but full boosts to redline. I have not tested that yet. At this point the extra $175 starts to make sense.

With the full package you get the ability to change maps on the fly or flat turn it off. You can pick your fuel types, maps, and options like Water/Meth or race fuel. Ability to piggy back on ECU tunes, run error codes, check all the gauges from the app. Plus, run a logger and other setting. Now your getting your moneys worth. Now you could Mod the truck and setup custom Map 6 if you need. Or, Run Valet mode so the bastards at the strip club don't mob your ride.

Final Again, Get everything to make it work right. The addons are not just a convenience thing. No dyno results but I would not be surprise if it is +30-40WHP and +50-60 torque. Best yet it is has lower rpm power. Not just that last 500 on the curve. It is consistently better over 2k RPM's up to Redline or Fake Redline LOL. All this so i don't have to fight with the dealer about a Warranty issue. Or, worry that a ECU tune pushed a limit to far. Everything is monitored and most factory limits are kept in place. 100% satisficed with the Performance for the money. The unit should be $650 all in. The app really adds value in this way. No Warranty? then go get a Legit Tune and maybe piggyback this if you still have it.

Last edited:

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
Yes stock vs. various maps on 93 octane.

img].jpg
As this being old I wonder if there was an explanation to be had. The Map options states Maps 3-4-5 are for E30 but this chart is all 93 Octane. What is the risk of running map 4-5 on straight 93? Knock or something worse?

Eskram

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a Powerboost Hybrid
Something worse.

If the map calls for E30, use it. I'd assume there was an mixup in the wording in the post somewhere.
Sponsored