is it possible for an aftermarket exhaust to affect the turbo?

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Got a Borla S-type exhaust on my truck, I freaking love it.

But a couple weeks in, the turbo's wastegate actuator started squeeking, noticeably so. Took it in to ford, they had it for a couple days and replaced the entire turbo. Get it back and all is well in the world.

A few weeks later I swear the noise is lightly coming back, but only once in awhile. Maybe it's a different noise, but it's very similar.

Ford never took issue with the exhaust or anything, but it's literally the only thing I've done to the truck mechanically. So it's making me nervous that it somehow has a hand in all of this.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Does it sound like this. Same exhaust but with roush cai. Explanation was higher airflow creating the waste gate opening to be heard. Only happens at full WOT.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Does it squeak/chirp 2-3 times when first starting up, or is it making a high pitched whistle sound similar to what @dondonbabyraptor posted up but louder?

If it's just the squeak/chirp at startup then they all do it. It's the wastegate actuator arm pivot point squeaking. Some high heat lubricant on it may work.

If it's a loud whistle sound coming from the engine when under boost, like this thread discuses. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/squealing-noise-on-acceleration.8508/

If so, check and lubricate the the valve and any o-rings in the turbo bypass valve.

OP
OP
spartan0078

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Does it squeak/chirp 2-3 times when first starting up, or is it making a high pitched whistle sound similar to what @dondonbabyraptor posted up but louder?

If it's just the squeak/chirp at startup then they all do it. It's the wastegate actuator arm pivot point squeaking. Some high heat lubricant on it may work.

If it's a loud whistle sound coming from the engine when under boost, like this thread discuses. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/squealing-noise-on-acceleration.8508/

If so, check and lubricate the the valve and any o-rings in the turbo bypass valve.
Yeah it's 100% a chirp on start up. When I had it fixed it was doing it constantly, but now it's only at the start, so I was afraid it might be coming back.

I'm glad it's normal though, thank you!?

I'll look into getting some lube for it.

OP
OP
spartan0078

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
im going to go the opposite direction here and totally blame the exhaust

if you want proof, send it to me and i'll install it and show you the sound appears out of nowhere on mine too
Seeing as how I'm currently fleeing Nigeria in my ranger, my vast wealth is being held and I have no access to it. If you would provide me with your credit card number or banking details I will gladly look into sending it to you for testing.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
If exhausts swaps were damaging turbos, we'd know about it. There are thousands of rangers with aftermarket exhausts on them.
Sponsored