First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger tremor
Occupation
Tech
Twice I have heard a intermittent knock down low lasting about 1 min while at idle.Happens about 5 min after start up in the morning.Definitely coming from bottom area of motor.2021 tremor with 1100 miles ? Anyone else ever hear this coming from there Ranger.
Sponsored

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Try using 91-93 octane and see if it helps.

Reactions: EJH

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Twice I have heard a intermittent knock down low lasting about 1 min while at idle.Happens about 5 min after start up in the morning.Definitely coming from bottom area of motor.2021 tremor with 1100 miles ? Anyone else ever hear this coming from there Ranger.
Hi Jim,

I think you need the dealer ASAP! Bottom end should not ever knock. They will likely need to keep overnight to do a cold start.

Sad something like this is occurring.

best,
Phil

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
I don't know if this forum is an indication of quality build and parts in this vehicle, but there seems to be a lot of problems that shouldn't be occuring..

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hi Jim,

I think you need the dealer ASAP! Bottom end should not ever knock. They will likely need to keep overnight to do a cold start.

best,
Phil

Jim trust me, Phil knows best. I know you're new here, and wanted to let you know that Phil is our resident Ford guru. He's a retired Ford engineer. Get your baby to the dealer.

OP
OP
Ford 4 Life

Ford 4 Life

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger tremor
Occupation
Tech
It’s very intermittent like 2 x in past 3 wks.The dealer will just tell me it’s a normal characteristic of the motor if they are unable to replicate the sound.On a positive note it’s leased so I will just beat it until the sound is constant lol

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Jim trust me, Phil knows best. I know you're new here, and wanted to let you know that Phil is our resident Ford guru. He's a retired Ford engineer. Get your baby to the dealer.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kudos...My concern was when it was described as a low frequency knock. Detonation is more of a rattle even at idle...low frequency from the bottom end is worrysome...

best,
Phil

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Then again, crank and rod bearings don't ever get better on their own.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Hi Jim,

best,
Phil

This! It is funny that the first suggestion was to up the octane. Of course you should always run the best octane gas in a turbo engine, but he said he is hearing this at an idle and it is coming from the bottom of the engine as a knock. Not the normal DI clatter. Or even a spark ping/clatter, which honestly should never occur at idle unless the timing, etc. is truly f'ed up. Get that thing checked out. Sounds like a rod bearing.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if this forum is an indication of quality build and parts in this vehicle, but there seems to be a lot of problems that shouldn't be occuring..
Hi rcairfir,

Forums by their nature are here to solve problems as well as offer a place to vent and some to cheer. This forum has about 10,000 or so members. Since Ranger sells about 70,000 units a year that is roughly 200,000 units in the field. Of the 10,000 members there maybe one quarter that have a problem or a beef with Ford. Of this group there are a few Systemic issues that bubble up and Ford addresses these through TSBs although this does not solve 100% of the problems that are not related to Mods to the vehicle. I do think Michigan Truck Plant needs to improve their assembly quality to a degree and I sincerely hope the Plant is taking improvement seriously.

The take away in my opinion is that the Ranger is a solid product that performs to expectation for most purchasers.

best,
Phil

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I think Phil, pretty well summed up the whole thing. We all hear or feel differently and sometimes issues come up. You should take it to the dealer and get it documented. Then if anything happens down the road they have it in their system. Good luck.
Sponsored