Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
It is not pretty, but it works, and I only used what came in the box.

I used to have a tendencie to over engineer things. I have since made a mission to aim at "simplest design," when working on projects now.

I saw other ways this compressor was installed, I likes all the ideas and my wheels stared to kick into over drive, UNTIL I opened my hood, removed the plastic cover and saw a hole and a strange indent. I though, "huh, looks like that mounting plate they sent me would fit in there." It did.

I bent the plate

Moved the ARB compressor blue sleeve all the way to one side (side shown in photos)

Mounted plate to compressor

Lined up right hole on plate with existing hole under hood (loosely dropped bolt in) drilled a hole for left hole in plate (slight smaller that provided bolt) and used my drill and to have the bolt thread itself into hole and hold.

Pro's- cost nothing, simple design, works, can be very easily removed,

Cons- plastic cover can no longer be fully put back on, hood needs a little little little extra umpf to engage lock (due to plastic cover), could potentially have problems if going over lots of bumps at high speeds for a long time (but we will see)

P.S. I also tore apart that rat's nest of a wiring harness and cut it wayyyy short to suit my needs and existing switch set up.

20200224_163947.jpg
20200223_105803.jpg
20200222_083603.jpg
20200224_163909.jpg
20200223_105833.jpg
20200223_105759.jpg
20200223_115928.jpg
20200223_105840.jpg
20200223_105912.jpg
20200223_110012.jpg
20200223_105858.jpg
20200223_104407.jpg
20200223_104401.jpg
20200223_115438.jpg
Sponsored

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
That's a pretty good setup! I've struggled to locate my same compressor in that corner, but eventually gave up.

burchs

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Just looking at setups for a compressor and so far I like this spot! Is there something preventing just trimming that plastic piece to fit around the compressor so that the hood closes normally again?

Thanks

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase

bka0721

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger Edge 2X4 Reg Cab - 2004 Ranger XLT 4X4 4dr - 2008 F550 4X4 Crew Cab Dually
Looks like you did a really great job of a clean and tight installation.

Do you have the Model/Part Number on the ARB Compressor you used? Do you have a list of anything else you recommend was/is need for this install?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I wonder if anyone has considered taking the OBA Pump an running it to a slender 5 gallon tank under the truck. Then when you are getting close to coming back off the trail, you flip it on, pump fills tank and when you are at the end of the trail, you can quickly fill all four tires because you have a reserve of pressure.

OP
OP
Alex Bedrosian

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Just looking at setups for a compressor and so far I like this spot! Is there something preventing just trimming that plastic piece to fit around the compressor so that the hood closes normally again?

Thanks

Hey,

I have actually not considered that as an option LOL

OP
OP
Alex Bedrosian

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like you did a really great job of a clean and tight installation.

Do you have the Model/Part Number on the ARB Compressor you used? Do you have a list of anything else you recommend was/is need for this install?

it is the Arb Compressor Part Number: ARBCKMA12 , and when I started I decided to only use parts provided, other than a hammer and a vice (even a concrete step or curb would work) and a drill/bit nothing else is needed.

OP
OP
Alex Bedrosian

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if anyone has considered taking the OBA Pump an running it to a slender 5 gallon tank under the truck. Then when you are getting close to coming back off the trail, you flip it on, pump fills tank and when you are at the end of the trail, you can quickly fill all four tires because you have a reserve of pressure.

I have a friend who did this, My next plan (when I have $$ i dont care about) is to move the compressor into my bed and run house to the 5Ga and then a line to the front bumper and out the rear. I have a long list of their things that are taking funds at the moment. there is ALOT of space under this truck for a tank IMO.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I have a friend who did this, My next plan (when I have $$ i dont care about) is to move the compressor into my bed and run house to the 5Ga and then a line to the front bumper and out the rear. I have a long list of their things that are taking funds at the moment. there is ALOT of space under this truck for a tank IMO.
http://openroadtuning.com/steel-5-gallon-skinny-tank/

I don't care for four ports, but the shape makes it a winner.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
This was a great idea. I did the same, with some modification. See last photo for quick-disconnect connector. From the top, the connector pokes out very little (~3 mm) beyond the tailgate, so using the bumber step is still easy.
air top.jpg

air side.jpg

connect side.jpg

connect top.jpg

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
This was a great idea. I did the same, with some modification. See last photo for quick-disconnect connector. From the top, the connector pokes out very little (~3 mm) beyond the tailgate, so using the bumber step is still easy.
air top.jpg

air side.jpg

connect side.jpg

connect top.jpg
Some more photos from under the body, of the tubing leading to the back bumper's connection point. It's routed in a way that minimizes debris that could hit the hose.

Note that I have a quick-disconnect in the engine bay as well (directly from the compressor), in case the hose to the rear connection point ruptures for any reason.
If the hose is damaged, I can disconnect that line, and connect the hose used for airing the tires, directly to the compressor (which is the usual approach anyway).
Mentioning this idea in case anyone else routes a pneumatic line, and is looking for a method that includes some emergency backup.
air 1.jpg

air 2.jpg

Behind the bumper, connecting to the industrial connector shown in the previous post. The connector is rotated so that the tire-removal iron still has clearance.
air 3.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Not to sure how I feel about that much hose running that far for just one little compressor in that diamiter but to each thier own. If anything you do have the advantage of having some volume for storage.

Here is my little setup just in case you didnt see it on the other thread

0424211620.jpg

0424211937.jpg

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Not to sure how I feel about that much hose running that far for just one little compressor in that diamiter but to each thier own. If anything you do have the advantage of having some volume for storage.

Here is my little setup just in case you didnt see it on the other thread

0424211620.jpg

0424211937.jpg
I liked your setup as well :) I just don't available space in the bed, hence placing it elsewhere.
50' (25 ft under car + 25' filler hose) of 1/4" hose should be fine, since the compressor output is 90 psi, and tires are 35 psi max.
Sponsored