Installed a Snorkel (sort of)

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I have a trip back to the high watermark trail in Arkansas in December. After the last trip it was very clear that I didn’t ingest water out of pure luck. So I wanted a snorkel before December. I didn’t want the ARB snorkel and didn’t want to wait for any of the others still in the works.

I spoke with a friend who owns a shop and does a lot of custom fabrication for cars and trucks. I bought one of the overseas version snorkels (from eBay) that uses the badge plate to enter the fender. We are going to make an airbox probably out of sheet metal or aluminum (depends on cost). For now the snorkel does nothing as I have the factory airbox in place. We didn’t originally plan to install anything today, but we went ahead finished with the parts we had.

It still required a little cutting on the fender and a fair bit of modification of the parts. But it came out really well at $190 spent so far:

F2A855C9-A57E-4859-9514-F54114506979.jpeg

249B9530-4992-45F0-BFAD-1DF13D57F5B6.jpeg

F7E082F2-02F9-4B8E-B4CA-100DCF284DB6.jpeg
Sponsored

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
This looks much, much better than the Safari snorkel. I understand the placement of the air box makes it difficult, but that large piece of plastic sticking out of the fender doesn’t look good to me.

OP
OP

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How have you dealt with the alternator?
Hoping the ARB plates prevent a considerable percentage of the stuff being flung up into the engine bay. Otherwise will be dielectric greasing what I can and am bringing a spare alternator on the trip...

OP
OP

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking good so far. I want to see what you come up with for the air box.
I’ll take progress pictures as we make it. Biggest concern is the bung for the IAT. Probably won’t be working on it for another month though.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Hoping the ARB plates prevent a considerable percentage of the stuff being flung up into the engine bay. Otherwise will be dielectric greasing what I can and am bringing a spare alternator on the trip...
I was hoping Ford would of sealed or relocated the alt in the Bronco. Then the NA Rangers could of adopted that into a kit. Ford advertises 800mm water clearance here, the altenators are high up. they point this out in advertising. Ofcourse the engines are not 2.3ltr. It just seems if you er going to advertise a vehicle for offroad use, alternator location would be a concern.

OP
OP

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was hoping Ford would of sealed or relocated the alt in the Bronco. Then the NA Rangers could of adopted that into a kit. Ford advertises 800mm water clearance here, the altenators are high up. they point this out in advertising. Ofcourse the engines are not 2.3ltr. It just seems if you er going to advertise a vehicle for offroad use, alternator location would be a concern.
Oh I agree. I killed my alternator last December on the HWM trail. That’s why I’m bringing a spare on the next trip. It’s very frustrating because the truck is silly capable otherwise.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
It still required a little cutting on the fender and a fair bit of modification of the parts. But it came out really well at $190 spent so far:

F7E082F2-02F9-4B8E-B4CA-100DCF284DB6.jpeg
what parts of the fender needed cutting? Anything that's visible on the outside or just inner bits for fitting the piping? Also did this need a upper support bracket mounted to the A-pillar or anything?

OP
OP

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what parts of the fender needed cutting? Anything that's visible on the outside or just inner bits for fitting the piping? Also did this need a upper support bracket mounted to the A-pillar or anything?
Support bracket used the channel liner bolt hole in the roof, but we had to make a really short bracket to attach the snorkel to the first bracket. If that makes sense.

This is what the fender looked like on the outside (plus one bolt hole on the bottom that isn’t there in this pic). Also made a hole for the tube in the inner fender.

6CA021FB-6CFE-43CD-AD45-1431E9E790EE.jpeg

7ADCB92A-DB50-489E-95A7-6D8210D80113.jpeg

DEE31E5F-C4B6-43AA-8670-B3185DA34BC0.jpeg

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Support bracket used the channel liner bolt hole in the roof, but we had to make a really short bracket to attach the snorkel to the first bracket. If that makes sense.

This is what the fender looked like on the outside (plus one bolt hole on the bottom that isn’t there in this pic). Also made a hole for the tube in the inner fender.

6CA021FB-6CFE-43CD-AD45-1431E9E790EE.jpeg

7ADCB92A-DB50-489E-95A7-6D8210D80113.jpeg

DEE31E5F-C4B6-43AA-8670-B3185DA34BC0.jpeg
Awesome, thanks for this. Doesn't seem too bad.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
One option instead of fabricating an airbox would be to buy a diesel Ranger airbox. It already goes in the fender well without a snorkel. The snorkel you have already bought is designed to work with those OEM airboxes. I do not know what the interface with the hose after the airbox is on the two versions, but it may be the same.

Here is how it looks: https://ballaratperformance.com.au/shop/uncategorized/ford-px-3-2-2-2-ranger-airbox-cleaner/
The top right elbow goes into the wheel well. With the snorkel, that elbow is removed and the airbox is connected to the snorkel piping.

Last edited:
OP
OP

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One option instead of fabricating an airbox would be to buy a diesel Ranger airbox. It already goes in the fender well without a snorkel. The snorkel you have already bought is designed to work with those OEM airboxes. I do not know what the interface with the hose after the airbox is on the two versions, but it may be the same.

Here is how it looks: https://ballaratperformance.com.au/shop/uncategorized/ford-px-3-2-2-2-ranger-airbox-cleaner/
The top right elbow goes into the wheel well. With the snorkel, that elbow is removed and the airbox is connected to the snorkel piping.
That's a really good idea and one I thought of, too. My friend REALLY wants to make a box, though, and he is really good at this stuff, so I figured having a custom fabricated airbox would be neat.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh I agree. I killed my alternator last December on the HWM trail. That’s why I’m bringing a spare on the next trip. It’s very frustrating because the truck is silly capable otherwise.
Just out of curiosity, how did you kill your alternator? I was looking at it the other day, and it's about at the same height as the top of my tires, so ~32" up, which is some pretty damn deep water.
Also, considering moving through water creates a bow wave in front, and the water around the sides (and in the engine bay) will not be as high....

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, just curious how bad/deep it got that your alternator got destroyed, and wandering if you had any other issues at the same time, like water coming in the cab or the bed of the truck, or with the diff/trans breathers (I'm still not sure where those actually are on these trucks).

OP
OP

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basically I hit the water way too hard is my theory. I’m busy right now, but I’ll post a more detailed explanation with pictures when I can. It was super deep.
Sponsored