First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So this particular review is about the Syclone Snorkel PreCleaner that will fit on just about any Snorkel that you wish, so not a Vehicle Specific type review.

Back in July I finally was able to install a Snorkel on my old 1993 Nissan Pathfinder. About 3 months later in October I ended up installing the Syclone 9001 PreCleaner.

In general my goal was to help with minimizing the amount of possible snow being ingested into the intake since I do live in Colorado and driving in a snow storm is common in the winter. At the same time I also thought about the idea of keeping as much Dirt Dust and Debris out of the intake. To say the least the Syclone PreCleaner has done a good job with that.

Now before I show you the results, let's go over why one would consider a Snorkel for the Ranger(or any other Vehicle). A majority of vehicles(as a guess I'd say 90%) have the intake in the fender(my Pathfinder is this way). Others like the Ranger will have it in the Grille or Hood, depending on how the manufacturer designed it.

For those with a Fender intake you are simply going to suck up any Dirt Dust and other Debris that is being kicked up by the tires while going down a dirt road(doesn't matter the speed or if you are in 2WD or 4WD as the tires still kick up dirt). Moving the intake via snorkel to the Roof Line will definitely help mitigate that particular issue.

Now you are wondering about the Grille and Hood intakes right? Don't worry I have you covered. Let's say you decide to go out on a group ride with a fellow Ranger owner or a confused Toyota owner(sorry, couldn't help myself) and you are NOT the lead vehicle. Well the person in front of you is kicking up Dirt and Dust(how much is irrelevant for this topic). Depending on the distance between the two of you and how fast both are going chances are the Dirt and Dust will probably be around the Hood or Grille by the time you get there and your vehicle sucking up the Dirt and Dust. Installing a Snorkel can help with that as you have less chance of sucking up Dirt and Dust at the Roof Line(but not impossible).

Yes there is also the discussion of Water Crossings, but I'm not going to go over that as it will vary by vehicle for what you have to do to prepare a vehicle for that kind of thing.

Now we get to the lovely Syclone Snorkel PreCleaner and why you would consider it. In the attached picture below this paragraph will give a general breakdown down of the PreCleaner. Let's say you want to have as much filtering of Dirt Dust and Debris as possible or better yet want to protect the vehicle from sucking up Snow in a snow storm(just like I was worried). This is where the PreCleaner comes in handy especially since there is no maintenance to the PreCleaner(less work you have to do the better). The fan that is inside the PreCleaner essentially uses centrifugal force to move any Dirt Dust and Debris at the ejection slit in the PreCleaner. The Fan is simply powered by the Air moving past.

Screenshot_20240101-175717.png

Now for the general results of the PreCleaner Efficiency. My Snorkel was installed in Mid July of 2023. I did replace the air filter and let it run until I installed the PreCleaner. Here is what the Filter Looked like when I removed it after 3 months.

IMG_20231024_181232113.jpg

Not too bad compared to no snorkel for about the same time and run OffRoad (sorry as I don't have a picture of one of those).

Now here is the current Filter that has been in since the PreCleaner installation.

2408.jpeg

Much cleaner as you can tell. That is only just after 2 months, but as you can tell it is nowhere near the condition of the other filter.

For context these are OEM Nissan Filters that do have a Light Oil Film to help trap Dirt and Dust.

Now if this is something you want to get for your Ranger that already has a Snorkel then all you have to go is go to https://snorkelupgrade.com/ and you.can get the right PreCleaner for you Ranger(or whatever vehicle it is you prefer).
Sponsored

Last edited: