Icon Kits are out!

ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I can’t comment on a full ICON set-up, as I only installed the ICON tubular Upper Control Arms to primarily correct alignment issues after the installing the BDS 2” leveling kit (which consists of disassembling each strut, adding a spacer under the spring, reassembly, then add another thin spacer on top of the strut’s “hat”). The new tubular UCAs from ICON will allow me more downward travel (and a bit more upward travel), but in terms of everyday ride quality, no change at all. Most of all it allows a lot of flexibility for future upgrades as well. I’ve heard nothing but excellent remarks on the ride quality for full ICON suspensions. The only complaint I’ve heard is that the shocks are rebuild-able and need rebuilt more often than average.
Thanks Randy and Mike!
Wanting to hear about how the ICON suspensions changes the truck before dropping multiple 1000s on it.
Sponsored

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question for those running the Icon shocks and uca's. Is there a need to drop the front diff with this setup? I see some kits that include diff drops. I plan on doing a 3.5" lift and maybe some new spring hangers in the rear.

OP
OP

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Fixed operation Director Tuttle Click Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question for those running the Icon shocks and uca's. Is there a need to drop the front diff with this setup? I see some kits that include diff drops. I plan on doing a 3.5" lift and maybe some new spring hangers in the rear.
No diff drop. But 31/2 will be pushing the ball joint angle.

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
No diff drop. But 31/2 will be pushing the ball joint angle.
That's my concern. I was reading the installation directions for some of the lift kits out there that include the diff drop. Looks like a complicated and large amount of work. Makes you wonder how the 6" lifts get away with it

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's my concern. I was reading the installation directions for some of the lift kits out there that include the diff drop. Looks like a complicated and large amount of work. Makes you wonder how the 6" lifts get away with it
Hi SP,

Lot of tear up to move the diff. Most kits where this is done you cut off frame mounting. The replacement brackets look like a backyard blacksmith working with low grade angle iron...Not for me for sure....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Claybuster
Vehicle Showcase
Hi SP,

Lot of tear up to move the diff. Most kits where this is done you cut off frame mounting. The replacement brackets look like a backyard blacksmith working with low grade angle iron...Not for me for sure....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil - in this case appearances can and were deceiving, at least for the BDS kit. IMO, the bracket quality isn't going to be an issue. My installer and I inspected the bracket before install and agreed it would be fine. I was fully prepared to have a bracket fabricated if necessary.

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hi SP,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yes, that's what it looked like to me too.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil - in this case appearances can and were deceiving, at least for the BDS kit. IMO, the bracket quality isn't going to be an issue. My installer and I inspected the bracket before install and agreed it would be fine. I was fully prepared to have a bracket fabricated if necessary.
You made your decision. I do not look for the brackets to "look" substantial, I want details...what is the metallurgical data of their material. What is their testing to validate the robustness of their bracket. We called these brackets DDD. Desk Drawer Durability
I would bet BDS has no such supporting data than "we hope this works". Look you paid your money and you take your chances.

I supported many lawsuits with my analysis of these sort of mods and guess what...we won every one...you modified your vehicle beyond Moss Mangason All I can offer is Good Luck...You asked me my opinion before you embarked on this mod and I offered my opinion. You did not like it, so why did you ask? Seeking affirmation and getting a less than positive response just puts the ball back in your court. I am just an engineer with 30 some years of automotive experience...Heaven forbid I render a negative response to this mod.

The worst thing is that you cannot undo this mod without big bucks.

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retierd

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that's what it looked like to me too.
You made your decision. I do not look for the brackets to "look" substantial, I want details...what is the metallurgical data of their material. What is their testing to validate the robustness of their bracket. We called these brackets DDD. Desk Drawer Durability
I would bet BDS has no such supporting data than "we hope this works". Look you paid your money and you take your chances.

I supported many lawsuits with my analysis of these sort of mods and guess what...we won every one...you modified your vehicle beyond Moss Mangason All I can offer is Good Luck...You asked me my opinion before you embarked on this mod and I offered my opinion. You did not like it, so why did you ask? Seeking affirmation and getting a less than positive response just puts the ball back in your court. I am just an engineer with 30 some years of automotive experience...Heaven forbid I render a negative response to this mod.

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retierd
Phil, may I ask a question of you? In your opinion what would the safest form of lift be? I see many options, but they can be narrowed down to a few types: Kits that incorporate a different steering knuckle to add the lift, toppers for the shocks to raise the truck, and the coil over adjustable shock (like the Icon kits). I've see a kit or two that also offer new cross members and I assume they incorporate a diff drop in their design, but I can't tell for sure from the sketchy literature. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on this. My preference is more than just a lift to clear larger tires. I like more suspension travel for the overlanding that I do.

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Claybuster
Vehicle Showcase

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retierd
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I did not like your opinion or that I was seeking affirmation. You couldn't possibly be more wrong. I asked your opinion because I thought it was valuable. I still think that's the case but in this case your opinion was based on a picture. I offered more data based on something slightly more tangible which only seems to have triggered you into an emotional rant. I won't apologize for coming to a different conclusion and obviously hurting your feelings in the process. Get over it.

BTW - 'Retired' is misspelled in your sig.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I second that there are cases when an opinion is asked to help weigh possible risk. I'd much rather make an informed decision than an uninformed one.

So even if nobody takes your opinion Phil, it's still valued in making the decision whether a certain thing is safe enough, or not.

I know opinions are like certain parts of human anatomy... But I'll give mine.

Having driven a few lifted vehicles here is my take.

Lift solid axle vehicles to the sky. The suspension is primitive, and easily changed with minimum effort.

Twin Beam rangers were also easy as the center member also moved with the axles and was easily dropped.

When you start getting into double wishbone with UCA's and LCA's etc, it gets "sketchy"

I'd fully recommend leaving the diff fully planted in it's factory home, and going just high enough using Coilovers (or spacers if you're cheap) that the half shafts still fit, and aren't cranked at stupid angles all the time.

You'll save yourself a lot of trouble once the miles start adding up.

If you're planning on driving it for a year, and won't feel bad saddling someone else with the problems that you might cause, then by all means jack it way up to the limit, and run the last 6 months you own the truck with 4WD because your halfshafts have failed :)

I had to add a spacer to the bottom of the bumpers on one of my Ranger in order to keep it at the Legal 28". Was it safe? Hell no...

Did anyone ever get hurt? Nope...

Were my halfshafts destroyed entirely when I got rid of the truck? Yep, barely hanging on after being beat with 35" BFG MT's for a 30K miles or so.

The truck I reference also had a V8, so it's not exactly the same, and the new Ranger is definitely built with beefier components than they were in 93.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, may I ask a question of you? In your opinion what would the safest form of lift be? I see many options, but they can be narrowed down to a few types: Kits that incorporate a different steering knuckle to add the lift, toppers for the shocks to raise the truck, and the coil over adjustable shock (like the Icon kits). I've see a kit or two that also offer new cross members and I assume they incorporate a diff drop in their design, but I can't tell for sure from the sketchy literature. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on this. My preference is more than just a lift to clear larger tires. I like more suspension travel for the overlanding that I do.
Hi SP

Hard question to answer without reviewing the design of a particular system, but I would think a new spindle if robust enough would be a better way to go to lift as I imagine wheel travel is not compromised as it is with some lifts. I might wait to see what the 2020 Raptor does and it is possible to graft that suspension onto the current Ranger? That might be the way to go as it would have been proved out durability, Jounce Study etc. Probably not cheap either. If you wish, you could send me the install directions for the kit in which you are interested and I could offer up some comments. I do not wish to poopoo every design to lift a truck, but some make me shudder. As you can see from above, someone did not like the comments on the system they chose...:( I am going to check with my friend, Greg Foutz of FMI for some thoughts...He was one of our house teams and is a very creative and talented fabricator. Wonder if he will release a kit of some sorts as he still works for Ford Performance.

For me, I am leaving things stock as I like the truck as is but do wish the Ranger Engineers would have more leveled out the back end which I think is too high aesthetically!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

Todfoxx31

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
Just get the Ford performance fox 2.0 leveling package, it was designed for the ranger and dealer installed.

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Just get the Ford performance fox 2.0 leveling package, it was designed for the ranger and dealer installed.
If I'm not wrong, the Ford leveling package is a simple lift and doesn't increase wheel travel, which is what I am really after. I currently have a 4Runner with an Icon suspension that I put on, and the extra travel is very beneficial off the road.
Sponsored