First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Recently I noticed a clicking type of sound coming from the HVAC center stack that I am paranoid could be similar to this TSB thread. Although my truck has a December 2020 build date, which is should have the improved heater box assembly.

When the truck is cold (just started up) and the HVAC temp is set to heat (I.E. the HVAC is mixing hot air into the vent output). I can hear soft clicking that is either a mechanical or relay type of sound from the lower passenger side of the HVAC center stack. Iā€™m guess this is related to the actuator mixing hot air. I canā€™t tell if it is a noisy relay or something more concerning. Iā€™ll post a video with sound from when the truck is just started and I cycle the temperature from LO to HI. Note that all my HVAC functions work perfectly and I have no DTCs on the FCIM. I don't hear this noise after the first couple of minutes after starting the truck. Heat, A/C work good on both sides, all settings.

Coincidental I noticed this sound after running a wire for aux lighting behind the dash. I have a wire running from behind the glovebox, under/behind the HVAC/Stereo and over to a switch on the drivers side. I confirmed my wire does not block anything moving. I even checked the area behind the lower center stack with an inspection camera and there is nothing in the way. It could just be coincidence that it is now fall and Iā€™ve got the heat on after doing my wiring? I wonder if my reaching back there with my hands affected anything, but I canā€™t imagine anything being that fragile, especially compared to rough forest roads I drive on, which would be way more violent šŸ˜ It is also possible this sound could have been there from day one.

Things I thought it could be:
  • Noisy relay
  • The door inside the hot air mixer touching something. Because it goes away after I few minutes, I wonder if something is barely making contact until the assembly warms up and expands?
  • Just a loud actuator or motor?
What do you think? Does anyone else have this sound without any issues? I do have an extended warranty. Like I said, my HVAC works great, both passenger and driver side.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Your blend door is in the early stages of failure. Exact same thing happened to mine. Stopped working completely about 3 weeks after I started hearing the clicking, and I was stuck in max defrost.
Was your truck part of the TSB? (mine should not be).
Did the dealer have to remove the entire dash to fix it?

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
The motor was going out at the same time (drinking coolant, not leaking it), I washed my hands of Ford and got rid of the truck. I was quoted around $800 to get the HVAC blend door issue fixed, I was 200 miles out of warranty.

OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
The motor was going out at the same time (drinking coolant, not leaking it), I washed my hands of Ford and got rid of the truck. I was quoted around $800 to get the HVAC blend door issue fixed, I was 200 miles out of warranty.
Thanks. I have an extended warranty, so not worried about the cost. More worried about colateral damage if the dealer rips the entire dash out. Not much I can do at the moment until/if it fails.

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My 2022 clicks very lightly occasionally. It is moving and working so I am not worried.

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
My 2022 clicks very lightly occasionally. It is moving and working so I am not worried.
I investigated mine in more detail. It is the same as yours. My passenger actuator is just noisy when it gets to the end of its adjustment. I can hear the actuator motor moving the blend door. When it stops, there is a light click. The actuator motor is moving and the heat/cool mix is working. Worst case if the actuator fails, either the dealer or myself will replace it.

I posted this in a reply to airline tech here:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/yet-another-climate-heater-issue.22923/page-4#post-620110

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I was hoping that issue was only in early 5g trucks. one of the 5g members posted pics of the process and it looked very involved to repair. down to the metal inside. i would imagine that the truck would have rattles and squeaks after taking the interior apart. I had to have the 4g dash opened up for the air bag recall and its been noisy ever after. šŸ˜’

Reactions: TJC
OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I was hoping that issue was only in early 5g trucks. one of the 5g members posted pics of the process and it looked very involved to repair. down to the metal inside. i would imagine that the truck would have rattles and squeaks after taking the interior apart. I had to have the 4g dash opened up for the air bag recall and its been noisy ever after. šŸ˜’
I haven't been able to confirm anyone with a '21 or later Ranger has had the entire heater box HVAC unit replaced. Some have reported HVAC temp issues, but haven't been clear on the actual repair done.

In my case, I'm 90% thinking it is just the actuator. Like P-38Ranger above, mine moves the blend door just fine, which IMO indicates no sticking or defective heater box. My actuator is noisy right when it stops moving. I will probably replace it sometime myself (only a $50 part). Many Aussie owners here report frequent actuator failures.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Supposedly, the heater box issue was addressed somewhere mid 2020. I lean towards just the actuator. The problem I've seem with them in other vehicles is that the bcm runs a full sweep self check on them every time you start the vehicle. Plastic gears can only take so many hard limit tests before they fail. Not sure if Ford is doing the same self checks, but I suspect they are.

Reactions: EJH

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I haven't been able to confirm anyone with a '21 or later Ranger has had the entire heater box HVAC unit replaced. Some have reported HVAC temp issues, but haven't been clear on the actual repair done.

In my case, I'm 90% thinking it is just the actuator. Like P-38Ranger above, mine moves the blend door just fine, which IMO indicates no sticking or defective heater box. My actuator is noisy right when it stops moving. I will probably replace it sometime myself (only a $50 part). Many Aussie owners here report frequent actuator failures.
hope that is all it is!

OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Update: I dropped my Ranger off at the dealer in Bend this morning. They just called and stated they verified the issue with the clicking actuators. The are replacing the hvac box, full dash removal, 6 hours of labor. I will have the truck back in a couple days. I asked if they have done this before and he said many times.

FYI, my Ranger has a December 2020 build date, well after the July 2020 cut off date for SSM 49264.

@P-38Ranger I highly suggest taking your truck to the dealer if the HVAC actuators are clicking, even if the system works. My HVAC temp control works fine, it just clicks. You want this done under warranty. It will eventually get worse where the doors get stuck. Mine passenger side started clicking in October, the driver side a month later in November. I could probably have gone months more before things failed completely.

My dealer quoted $2,700 for the job, but I will only pay my $100 extended warranty deductible.

Last edited:

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I am on my 3rd recall on airbags for my 4G. You would think that they could get it right!

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I am on my 3rd recall on airbags for my 4G. You would think that they could get it right!
Same for me . I need to get the 4g to a dealership for the next round. But I lost the paper they sent and don't want to screw with it.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Not to add insult to injury but, how's your tranny? I too am hearing some strange noise after I turn off my truck, step out and close the door...there's moving sound in the dash for a few seconds then stops...if I open the door and close it, the sound will repeat...does this mean I'm in for another round of robbery courtesy of Ford?
Sponsored