How to add Factory Navigation

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I just did this to my truck and thought I would pass it along. It was pretty straightforward but a couple of things I didn't think about. Would I do it again? Yes in a heartbeat. Cost, I paid $329 for a 2020 APIM (I believe it was from a Mustang).

My truck is a 2020 Ranger Lariat, but was very limited with no options. Yes I have the power folding mirrors /Led headlights /bliss /lanekeep /Leather etc. No Equipment Group, no Packages. But it was loss leader and it was CHEAP.

Of course I do have the the 8" screen and Sync 3

I have been adding options to it and finally decided to add the Factory Navigation and wanted to share how to do it and some caveats.

You will need the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) from a Ford Vehicle with Navigation.
1674084913366.png

This is the unit that sits behind the screen. You don't need a new screen or anything else. I've heard some folks needing a GPS antenna, but I believe if you had the option of XM Radio, you have the GPS antenna on top of your truck. For me: Yes nothing else was needed.

6 screws to remove the front cover, which is actually easier than it sounds. (You pull the vents and some panels. (Don't take the long piece under the ranger plate all the way off, leave it connected at the passenger door. Remember every tab pops straight out, no sliding or twisting. And I broke ZERO clips). There's videos on doing this. You will see 4 nuts holding the 8" display in place. You remove them and pull the unit out, undo 3 wires and replace the APIM. Then put it all back.

You now have Navigation. You need to recode the APIM for the Ranger via FORSCAN. The APIM does not contain the VIN number, BUT it does contain a ESN # which is tied to your VIN (Electronic Serial Number). It's not hidden and is used by XM Radio for your subscription. However Ford recently started to use this for Nav updates.

Here is the Caveat. Your VIN will show on the SYNC display and it is indeed the correct VIN for your vehicle. But your VIN didn't come with NAV (which Ford knows) so you cannot update the Navigation Maps via Ford.

Maps for our Trucks are listed as NA119, NA220, NA221 (which correspond to the year released), Yes there are older versions. But you don't want to buy a APIM older than your vehicle. Nav Maps for NA221 use that ESN.

Typically the seller should list the Map Number NA119-NA221 as well as the Sync Version. Sync 3.4 22251 being the latest at the writing of this post. These APIM's are 32G and should have a FORD sticker on them with the manufacture date on them. When a seller wants your VIN, it's simple to put the forscan options into your APIM. As I said the VIN is not present in the APIM.

Good news is: You can update the SYNC Version to 22251 and you can update your map to NA220 but not NA221 (as of the time of this writing).

How do you do it? Normally you go to FORD's site enter your VIN and it will download an update to a USB you put in your truck and after 60-90 minutes you are updated. But remember your VIN doesn't have NAV. You can't use a known NAV vin because it will brick your APIM due to the ESN mismatch.

The answer. A great piece of software created by Cyanlabs called Syn3updater It works similarly to the above process. You tell the program what SYNC3 version you are starting with, whether you have NAV and it will download the files needed from the FORD servers and create a USB thumb drive for you. For me I had to update my Maps separately from my Sync Version. So you select NA220 map update, write that to the USB and do that first, then do your Sync3 updates. In my case it was a 2 step process on the SYNC 3.4.22251 update, coming from version 3.4.20282. About an hour later everything was completed.

And most importantly: My truck now can find TacoBell in the neighboring town.
Sponsored

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Not to take anything away from excellent work and an awesome post

But

After getting a loaner Explorer with factory nav for more than a week.

I honestly like my phone feeding the screen google nav over Ford's.

That is just an opinion and the Ford nav may have some features I missed.

Not a huge fan of the last update to sync/app but it's an easy enough fix to tap on the map and make it go Fullscreen. I dont need to see the exact point I am in on my audio book.....

R_Willis

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Thanks! I plan on doing this eventually.

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I just did this to my truck and thought I would pass it along. It was pretty straightforward but a couple of things I didn't think about. Would I do it again? Yes in a heartbeat. Cost, I paid $329 for a 2020 APIM (I believe it was from a Mustang).

My truck is a 2020 Ranger Lariat, but was very limited with no options. Yes I have the power folding mirrors /Led headlights /bliss /lanekeep /Leather etc. No Equipment Group, no Packages. But it was loss leader and it was CHEAP.

Of course I do have the the 8" screen and Sync 3

I have been adding options to it and finally decided to add the Factory Navigation and wanted to share how to do it and some caveats.

You will need the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) from a Ford Vehicle with Navigation.
1674084913366.png

This is the unit that sits behind the screen. You don't need a new screen or anything else. I've heard some folks needing a GPS antenna, but I believe if you had the option of XM Radio, you have the GPS antenna on top of your truck. For me: Yes nothing else was needed.

6 screws to remove the front cover, which is actually easier than it sounds. (You pull the vents and some panels. (Don't take the long piece under the ranger plate all the way off, leave it connected at the passenger door. Remember every tab pops straight out, no sliding or twisting. And I broke ZERO clips). There's videos on doing this. You will see 4 nuts holding the 8" display in place. You remove them and pull the unit out, undo 3 wires and replace the APIM. Then put it all back.

You now have Navigation. You need to recode the APIM for the Ranger via FORSCAN. The APIM does not contain the VIN number, BUT it does contain a ESN # which is tied to your VIN (Electronic Serial Number). It's not hidden and is used by XM Radio for your subscription. However Ford recently started to use this for Nav updates.

Here is the Caveat. Your VIN will show on the SYNC display and it is indeed the correct VIN for your vehicle. But your VIN didn't come with NAV (which Ford knows) so you cannot update the Navigation Maps via Ford.

Maps for our Trucks are listed as NA119, NA220, NA221 (which correspond to the year released), Yes there are older versions. But you don't want to buy a APIM older than your vehicle. Nav Maps for NA221 use that ESN.

Typically the seller should list the Map Number NA119-NA221 as well as the Sync Version. Sync 3.4 22251 being the latest at the writing of this post. These APIM's are 32G and should have a FORD sticker on them with the manufacture date on them. When a seller wants your VIN, it's simple to put the forscan options into your APIM. As I said the VIN is not present in the APIM.

Good news is: You can update the SYNC Version to 22251 and you can update your map to NA220 but not NA221 (as of the time of this writing).

How do you do it? Normally you go to FORD's site enter your VIN and it will download an update to a USB you put in your truck and after 60-90 minutes you are updated. But remember your VIN doesn't have NAV. You can't use a known NAV vin because it will brick your APIM due to the ESN mismatch.

The answer. A great piece of software created by Cyanlabs called Syn3updater It works similarly to the above process. You tell the program what SYNC3 version you are starting with, whether you have NAV and it will download the files needed from the FORD servers and create a USB thumb drive for you. For me I had to update my Maps separately from my Sync Version. So you select NA220 map update, write that to the USB and do that first, then do your Sync3 updates. In my case it was a 2 step process on the SYNC 3.4.22251 update, coming from version 3.4.20282. About an hour later everything was completed.

And most importantly: My truck now can find TacoBell in the neighboring town.
That was a very detailed post with great information! Thank you for taking the time to post all of that.
Sponsored