First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Thought I'd give adding navigation a go. Having to tether with a USB cable to use Android Auto, and more often than not losing the paring with the phone was less than optimal.

First poke around the 'net showed a couple $1000 options that were plug and play but to be honest, I thought too expensive.

Deeper poking around found some $500 plug and play options, but coming out of China and I had concerns both with the price and fears of cheap clones despite the promise of OEM parts.

So, found a used APIM for under $300. Cruised the internet for a 2019 non-B&O Lariat with Nav. Pulled the VIN off the ad, then pulled the config for both my VIN and the other from Ford.

Dropped both files into a spread sheet and ID'd the differences.

Fired up Forscan and saved the APIM config. Swapped in the used APIM and loaded the saved config then manually made the changes from my spreadsheet.

End result: working factory nav. Yea, maps are old, but updates are routine. For $300, I'm pleased.
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Outstanding work! Congrats on your success.

OP
OP
SOHK_Alumni

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Ok, hit a snag and have found a couple consequences.

Somehow killed the GPS so it's stuck on the map of my neighborhood. Have started wading through the APIM data on the Forscan forum, no smoking gun yet.

Might pull the unit to verify the GPS antenna cable did not somehow separate from it's socket.

Consequences. No modem or unit ESN, might have disabled the FordPass app and without the ESN, might be unable to use Ford's map update system.

Can use bootleg methods on the maps and system update, never really used my phone for remote starts or the work the locks. I can liive with that, but others may not.

This is an EARLY Sync 3 unit! Maps are NA114, Sync 3 version 1. Newer verisons of the hardware may not have the same issues.

OP
OP
SOHK_Alumni

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Really beginning to think no GPS is a hardware issue. Reset APIM's config to as delivered and still no GPS.

Fun notes, no climate controls on touch screen, but, working heated seats controls on the home screen! Think that's a feature I'll try and keep.

OP
OP
SOHK_Alumni

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
And yes, bad GPS antenna or cable.

Found the GPS antenna plug can be accessed by only removing the vents/trim from above the glove box. Unplugged the OEM antenna cable, plugged in a cheap aftermarket one.

Unit took maybe 20 seconds to load up the local map.

The easy part will be using Forscan to get back the on-screen climate controls, parking assist and hopefully, keep the heated seat controls.

Tougher will be to shorten the 2m GPS antenna cable and permanently mount the new antenna, probably where the center dash speaker is on the B&O fitted models.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Will be interested to see how this goes. Brave move and much appreciated! I had looked at the $1000 options as well.
Any idea how the stock GPS cable got buggered?

OP
OP
SOHK_Alumni

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Will be interested to see how this goes. Brave move and much appreciated! I had looked at the $1000 options as well.
Any idea how the stock GPS cable got buggered?
Going to go a bit out on a limb, but an inspection of the FAKRA connector at the back of the unit revealed a bent ferrule. Betting I somehow put too much strain on the gps antenna cable and as the ferrule bent, it pulled the center pin of the connector out of it's counterpart in the back of the APIM. It is possible I bent the ferrule when I was using hemostats to reach the connector and unplug it, really not sure.

I've ordered a couple connector kits and will rebuild the OEM Ford one at the same time that I shorten the after market cable. Crazy tiny crimps on that center pin, still pretty darn small on the ferrule. If rebuilding the connector cures the no GPS with the OEM antenna, I'll know I damaged the connector during the APIM install.

Next stop on the road is at Sync 3.4 and NA119 maps!

OP
OP
SOHK_Alumni

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Successfully updated to Sync 3.4 and NA119 -- lost voice prompts on the nav and gained a "Navigation Fault" on startup yet Navigation works well. Will poke around some more with Sync and FORScan to resolve those issues.

Re-terminated the OEM GPS cable, no joy so the after market antenna now lives under the center cover under the windscreen. Doubt I'll ever install a center speaker so it's free and available space. Had thought that area might be usable as covert storage, but heat might be a problem.

So, for anyone who wants to try this path:

Start with ANY Sync 3 module that includes a "C" in the last letters of the part number.

Followup with FORScan, navigate to the APIM As Built tab and perform a full backup.

Swap out the original APIM for the APIM with Nav.

Again, use FORScan to navigate to the APIM As Built tab and restore the full backup you made, then: (won't hurt to make and save off a copy of the "new" APIM's config first though)

Change 7D0-01-02 x2xx xxxx xxxx
Change 7D0-06-01 8x5x

Apply those changes, navigate to the IPC As Built tab and perform a full backup.

Change 720-05-01 x8xx xxxx xxxx -- this will add Navigation to the dash screen.

Apply that change and voila, Sync navigation.

And to reiterate -- my "new" APIM is OLD, so no modem or internal ATT cell connection -- the Ford Pass app can't communicate with the APIM so using your phone for remote start or lacks is out. On the upside, this means that Ford can't get to it either! Believe this will be true for any APIM that's pre 2019.

To me, it's stunning to realize that $500 USD will get a questionable APIM out of China that's plug and play. $1000 USD will get an "real" APIM here in the States that's plug and play. Or, $550 USD is the suggested "out the door" price from Ford Parts for a genuine, correct generation APIM.

Lastly, a HUGE shout out to CyanLabs.Net for their very painless Sync 3.4 and maps upgrade.
Sponsored