First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
20k miles to get the break-in contaminants out, 60k miles to get fresh fluid in there. Then 30k miles after because gearboxes need fluid refreshments to go the distance. A poor mans flush would be best but a drain and fill every 30k miles is best for longevity of a transmission,

it's only asking for trouble if the tech who does it has no idea what he or she or it is doing. then it's ford's problem.
I've heard that changing trans fluid too often can also be bad because of the detergents used 'washing' band and clutches, but that might be a myth or applies to older trans. Ford says it's good for 150K, but even I think that is extreme. I guess it depends on your driving habits.
Sponsored

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
I've heard that changing trans fluid too often can also be bad because of the detergents used 'washing' band and clutches, but that might be a myth or applies to older trans. Ford says it's good for 150K, but even I think that is extreme. I guess it depends on your driving habits.
Maybe if additives were used. I always drain and fill regularly and have had zero issues, but a flush at high mileage caused problems. Heck even my manual transmissions felt much better after I drained and filled at 30k. Autos it’s less noticeable, but you get less “shudder” and smoother shifts after a drain and fill. At least IMO. I do a lot of hilly and mountainous driving.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Holy crap the see manual warning in the wild. I saw that during the tuning when it showed me every warning screen it had... I was curious what would cause that for real.

OP. I hope it didn't damage anything when it was driven low on fluid because of their goof up.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I too never believed the “flush a high mileage transmission and it can die” thing until I had it happen to myself.

I’m now in the camp of do it every 30k or never do it, one or the other.

Hope the OP gets this resolved.
Well you can dump and fill - or several dump and fills, but yah I wouldn't flush an old transmission.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
20k miles to get the break-in contaminants out, 60k miles to get fresh fluid in there. Then 30k miles after because gearboxes need fluid refreshments to go the distance. A poor mans flush would be best but a drain and fill every 30k miles is best for longevity of a transmission,

it's only asking for trouble if the tech who does it has no idea what he or she or it is doing. then it's ford's problem.
I wonder how Ford will react to doing that if they feel it doesn't need to be done? Will they happily oblige because you want it done? Will they advise against it? When they then do the change but with make a note advising against it to alleviate any wrongdoing on their part?
You just never know what some of the Ford repair shops will do to cover their own ass.