HELP!!! Heavy Bumper Install In Conjunction With Suspension Question!!!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So this Friday I was supposed to install an ARB Summit bumper with Warn winch on my Ranger, along with an Eibach suspension kit. We were going to start on Friday and work on installing parts though the weekend so it would be all wrapped up and ready to go out for an alignment. One of my good friends was coming into town to help with this, but he's now on isolation due to a potential COVID-19 exposure. My other good friend who is involved with this offered to have me come over to his house and we could install the bumper/winch combination.

The Eibach lift kit has a setting for heavy bumper/winch combinations that gives it 3.75" of lift before the weight of the bumper and winch squash the suspension. My question is, should I consider installing the winch/bumper combination first, thus potentially squashing the front of the truck down until I can get the suspension under it, or...

...should we do the suspension first, set to 3.75 inches of lift, and then I can plug away on the bumper potentially during the week.

If we do the bumper first, there is no telling when I can get the suspension done. If we do the suspension first, I should be able to knock out the bumper on my own during the following week. But I might have to move the truck around with the 3.75" lift on stock control arms.

What are the thoughts of you guys with some suspension knowledge here???? Ugh!
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So this Friday I was supposed to install an ARB Summit bumper with Warn winch on my Ranger, along with an Eibach suspension kit. We were going to start on Friday and work on installing parts though the weekend so it would be all wrapped up and ready to go out for an alignment. One of my good friends was coming into town to help with this, but he's now on isolation due to a potential COVID-19 exposure. My other good friend who is involved with this offered to have me come over to his house and we could install the bumper/winch combination.

The Eibach lift kit has a setting for heavy bumper/winch combinations that gives it 3.75" of lift before the weight of the bumper and winch squash the suspension. My question is, should I consider installing the winch/bumper combination first, thus potentially squashing the front of the truck down until I can get the suspension under it, or...

...should we do the suspension first, set to 3.75 inches of lift, and then I can plug away on the bumper potentially during the week.

If we do the bumper first, there is no telling when I can get the suspension done. If we do the suspension first, I should be able to knock out the bumper on my own during the following week. But I might have to move the truck around with the 3.75" lift on stock control arms.

What are the thoughts of you guys with some suspension knowledge here???? Ugh!
Hi John,

Okay...here is my take on your dilemma. Driving around with a 3.5" lift without alignment might result in some unfortunate handling. Aligning it before the increases weight means another alignment after the bumper/winch is completed. My vote is to install the bumper winch and deal with the lift afterwards. JMO!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't consider the alignment weighted vs. non-weighted. Thanks Phil.

I think I may be getting lucky; sounds like we'll do the suspension Friday afternoon and then hit the bumper and winch starting early Saturday.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, on my Icon suspension which was installed long before my bumper - I only drooped 1/4" when adding my Warn bumper and 12k winch so mostly negligible.
I'm looking at roughly 210lbs. How's that compare to your setup?

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Good info! I might set mine to 3" then instead of 3.75"!
I would, it really doesn't droop much. Imagine standing on your front end with a stout aftermarket suspension - would you expect it to droop much under your body weight? I don't think so.
Also, I want to say that the Icons have something around 650lb springs. You might compare that to your setup and get an idea for what you'll end up with.

Last edited:

HoldMyBeer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife biologists
Iā€™m at the 3.75 setting on factory uca with no additional weight in the front yet. Iā€™d install the lift first and do a rough toe alignment as the new springs will settle some, mine settled ~1/2ā€ in 1 week/300 miles.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m at the 3.75 setting on factory uca with no additional weight in the front yet. Iā€™d install the lift first and do a rough toe alignment as the new springs will settle some, mine settled ~1/2ā€ in 1 week/300 miles.
Well crap! And I love the stance of your truck! Okay; I'll do the 3.75" spring setting tomorrow. It looks like we will be doing the bumper Saturday.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Im of the opinion that your not going to notice the difference, but you sound like I think, which is usually overthinking :sunglasses: I put in my hidden winch mount with steel cable winch a few weeks back and couldnt tell the difference with my Fox 2.0 kit, but I do agree with getting the alignment done when you all setup, please post pics when your done !
Sponsored