First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Just wanted to share a couple of tips to hopefully make someone's life easier when it comes to installing some aftermarket suspension components. I recently finished up installing the Fox 2.0 front coilovers and rear shocks along with Icon tubular front upper control arms, and learned a couple of things along the way, which I'll pass along here.

First, since so many people seem to mistakenly pull the front axles out of the inner CV joints when installing a lift or leveling kit, there is a fairly easy way to avoid that problem. Most install videos and instructions that I looked at just had the installer pry down on the lower control arm in order to remove the spring/shock assembly. This is where the axle can pop out of the inner CV joint. The easy fix: get a 35mm socket, remove the axle nuts, push the axles out of the hubs and don't worry about them popping apart! It is definitely worth the extra few minutes to avoid the possibility of wrecking an axle.

Second tip is for those swapping out the front upper control arms. On the driver's side, the upper control arm bolt is difficult to remove because there is a large wire harness in the way, so when you pull the bolt out the back of the control arm, the washer contacts the wire harness. The wire harness can be moved out of the way but you have to loosen an 11mm nut that is on the engine bay side of the body. It is hard to see, but you can access it from the wheel well or from the engine bay. I used a little 11mm ratcheting wrench to loosen the nut (doesn't need to be removed, just loosened), then you can pull the wire harness upward to move it. You might also want to pop the white clip loose that holds the harness a few inches back. Hopefully you can see this in the pics. Once you get that wire harness moved out of the way, the upper control arm bolt will slide right out easily. The passenger's side is much easier since there is nothing in the way.

Feel free to add more tips and tricks.

B3A398B5-6A27-4A44-B65F-0E8D1C55676E.jpeg

174DF5A9-670D-4C04-9A24-EFA2BCF6B170.jpeg

4B6A3E08-49C7-4AAD-A21C-2FC199AECCB1.jpeg
Sponsored

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Jeep Wranger
I was unable to push the axle out of the hub on either side after removing the 35mm nut. Did you have any trouble? I don’t understand why both of mine were stuck.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
@treimche, sort of related but not completely, did your Fox kit come with all the same hardware as the Ford branded kit? Theirs comes with new axle nuts, sway bar link nuts, tie rod end and ball joint nuts, rear shock nuts and bolts, etc. I just wondered if the Fox kit tells you to replace them like the Ford kit does.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I watched one video where they removed the lower control arm bolts at the frame after removing the lower strut bolts...this allowed the strut to drop straight down after removing the upper strut nuts.

OP
OP
treimche

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Accountant
I was unable to push the axle out of the hub on either side after removing the 35mm nut. Did you have any trouble? I don’t understand why both of mine were stuck.
Naturally the axle is going to be in the hub pretty tight. I used a hammer and very carefully tapped the axles to loosen them in the hubs.

OP
OP
treimche

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Accountant
@treimche, sort of related but not completely, did your Fox kit come with all the same hardware as the Ford branded kit? Theirs comes with new axle nuts, sway bar link nuts, tie rod end and ball joint nuts, rear shock nuts and bolts, etc. I just wondered if the Fox kit tells you to replace them like the Ford kit does.
No the Fox kit does not contain all new hardware like the Ford version. To be honest, I don't even know why they want you to replace every nut and bolt. A small drop of locktite will work perfectly fine instead of replacing everything.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
No the Fox kit does not contain all new hardware like the Ford version. To be honest, I don't even know why they want you to replace every nut and bolt. A small drop of locktite will work perfectly fine instead of replacing everything.
Thanks. I think I may just get the more critical ones (tie rod ends, ball joints and axle nuts). I can get all those for about $60 so I'll just do it for peace of mind. In the Ford instructions it actually says that if you don't torque the axle nut in one continuous motion then you need to replace the nut.

Matt83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
A follow up to the kit I did over the weekend. 3" ready lift sst spacer on top of the coil and 1" block in the back. Very easy, took about 3 hours. Good heavy duty spring compressors helped. One whack with a dead blow hammer released the axle shaft. I didn't run into any issues. It was by far one of the easier installs I've done.
Sponsored