First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Occupation
Telecom Engineer
Hello from East TN. Hope everyone is doing well in these crazy times!
I'm seriously considering a Ranger....I have a Maverick Lariat on order...but just can't get past the drama and WAITING for the Hybrid....plus I have serious concerns about the cheap material on the plastics and some other items...
We've owned 2 Rangers 89&92, both great trucks...92 still doing farm duties at 320k.

Are the plastics in the Ranger durable?
Can the rear of the truck be brought down to match the front>?

Thanks and happy to be here!
Greg
Sponsored

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I'm seriously considering a Ranger....I have a Maverick Lariat on order...but just can't get past the drama and WAITING for the Hybrid....plus I have serious concerns about the cheap material on the plastics and some other items...
We've owned 2 Rangers 89&92, both great trucks...92 still doing farm duties at 320k.

Greg
Welcome, Greg! I have a 2019 Lariat FX4. The plastics in my Ranger seem perfectly fine to me. I love everything about my Ranger! There are some on here who have leveled their trucks or added this or that to bring the front up.You will find lots of useful threads on here. Some have lowered their Rangers.
I checked the Maverick out and, to me, the leather in the Maverick is nicer than the leather in the Ranger. That being said, the Ranger is a fantastic truck and I wouldn’t take anything for it. :like: Good luck!

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
It’s a lot easier to raise the front, rather than lower the rear. A popular choice like Bilstein 5100‘s will allow to you raise the front from less than inch, up to 2.5 inches. And, if you replace both front and rear shocks, most find that it improves the ride quality as well. As to the interior plastics, I have no concerns about their durability.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Plus one to what Rob said above.

Raising the front 2“ to 2-1/2” eliminates the rake of these trucks. There are spacer-style kits for the front end or adjustable front coil overs. Some of the coil overs come fully assembled with their own spring, others require you to use the spring and top mount from your OEM coil over.

The factory suspension is a bit soft for some folks, so upgrading to Eibach, Bilstein, or Fox on all corners is a popular choice for levelling the truck and gaining better off-road performance in one shot. Ford also offers their own version of a Fox setup.

I chose Fox Performance all around after running a front levelling spacer kit for a year. No difference in the look but it rides like a truck now instead of a Town Car.

Plastics on these trucks are top notch - as good as in my Passat and better than my ’01 Ranger - miles better than my ‘91. Test drive one - you won’t be disappointed.

As a bonus……..they go like stink. ?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO

BiilyJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I actually wanted a hybrid maverick for the fuel mileage but since there are none to buy, got a ranger. I really like everything about the truck, other than the fuel mileage. I went from a 2020 escape getting 35 mpg easily, to breaking in the ranger and getting low 20s. I drive about 130 miles a day currently to work and back, so that makes a difference for me. I am much more comfortable in this truck, and plan on driving it into the ground. I removed the 4x4 rear blocks on my 2015 f150, it seems like lowering the ranger is not that easy.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I actually wanted a hybrid maverick for the fuel mileage but since there are none to buy, got a ranger. I really like everything about the truck, other than the fuel mileage. I went from a 2020 escape getting 35 mpg easily, to breaking in the ranger and getting low 20s. I drive about 130 miles a day currently to work and back, so that makes a difference for me. I am much more comfortable in this truck, and plan on driving it into the ground. I removed the 4x4 rear blocks on my 2015 f150, it seems like lowering the ranger is not that easy.
Biily, I found that the low mpg's were more my fault than was the truck. Starting from a stop my right foot was just to heavy, and I was getting into the turbo to much. After I had gotten used to the turbo being there, and keeping my foot out of it starting off my mpg's increased. Plus the engine needs a little time to break in.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulatios on the Ranger. Enjoy.

OHTREMOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

Greg
No regrets here, just under 3,000 miles in. Plastics are fine, got a Tremor and love the stance and ride on and off road. I have owned 5 Rangers. Four trucks in between this 21 and my last one. This is my favorite trucks so far.
I was very surprised by just how quick the 2.3 can be. Love the comfort of the Ranger seats compared to my Canyon I traded in.

If I didn’t buy a Tremor off a lot I would have ordered an FX4 Blackout, leveled it out and went with Fox shocks. Drive all the midsize available before buying and I think you will go with the Ranger.:like:

OP
OP
TNGREG

TNGREG

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Occupation
Telecom Engineer
Thanks everyone! I got a chance to drive one. Yep, loved it!
It does drive like a truck, which is nice. I do like the road handling of my Forester, but can't deny, I like the look and feel of a solid truck and the Ranger seats felt very nice!

I've sat in and drove Maverick too...the Ranger just felt like better quality in the plastics and dash area... however those Maverick ActiveX seats are super!

My wife is a LONG time Tacoma fan and trying to get me to buy one....but the ones she see's and likes are 40k ones...which I ain't paying that much. I'm staying 35000 OTD or below for me.

The Rangers STX special edition packages are where I'm leaning. Ranger beats Toyota's in ride, comfort, cabin size and more modern engine.

I'm growing impatient on the Maverick and starting to see paint issues as well popping up...heavily leaning toward Ranger at this point...

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor
It does drive like a truck, which is nice. I do like the road handling of my Forester, but can't deny, I like the look and feel of a solid truck and the Ranger seats felt very nice!

I've sat in and drove Maverick too...the Ranger just felt like better quality in the plastics and dash area... however those Maverick ActiveX seats are super!

My wife is a LONG time Tacoma fan and trying to get me to buy one....but the ones she see's and likes are 40k ones...which I ain't paying that much. I'm staying 35000 OTD or below for me.

The Rangers STX special edition packages are where I'm leaning. Ranger beats Toyota's in ride, comfort, cabin size and more modern engine.

I'm growing impatient on the Maverick and starting to see paint issues as well popping up...heavily leaning toward Ranger at this point...
I would just get the STX special edition. Or for $35k I bet you could find a XLT sport. My only gripe with the STX trucks is the rubber steering wheel. I was going to get a Tacoma before looking at my Ranger and needless to say the ranger beats the Tacoma in every way in my eyes. Now go get one!

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I am very happy with my 2019 XLT 4x4. I think you will be pleased if you get one.

CJ74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
I love my 21 STX I got last spring. The only problem I have is I started off with window tint and then I went with different exhaust, a leveling kit, bigger tires, ect. One day my wife asked me how much money I'd spent and I told her I wasn't really sure but I think I was done for the year but now it's a New Year! LOL

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab

Id probably just get what the wife wants lol….. if u go ranger and for whatever reason you get a lemon. You’d likely never hear end of it.

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
ex boyfriend had one and showed her good times??
well up the bar and show her how much better the Ranger (and you) are.
They come with TRS* standard.

* Taco Recovery System

A073B506-3C5B-4E06-8807-62BAC1D33B1D.jpeg
Sponsored