Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford XL Ranger 4x4 Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that's it. Most likely the blend door actuator motor. They have little plastic teeth on their gears to move a lever arm to open and close a door for heat/cool air to flow. Sounds like yours just gave up early. Haven't heard of anyone else. That's what warranty is for. Good luck with it.
That would explain the ratchetting sound after the initial crack. It was grinding the little plastic gears trying to operate it.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
When you buy the first run you are taking a little more odds that something is not engineered or manufactured for the long haul or . "Best laid plans". "Shit happens". "Haste makes waste". "Mondays and Fridays". Plus the techs dont have any experience to rely on. It is called the learning curve and the luck of the draw. Just remember that when you wish for more trinkets and do dads and automatic easy peasy stuff the odds go up. New stuff means untried stuff. Engineers can test but, give it to the public is the only test that is perfect. Automobiles are the most complicated and costly thing you will ever own. Just to make you feel a little better you are not alone. Web sites like this are a place for complaints to show up. When I bought a Ford diesel and went to Ford diesel web site I thought "o crap when I heard all the complaints about diesels. :shock: But, when things did happen I was ready with the info needed to fix it. :blush:

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you buy the first run you are taking a little more odds that something is not engineered or manufactured for the long haul or . "Best laid plans". "Shit happens". "Haste makes waste". "Mondays and Fridays". Plus the techs dont have any experience to rely on. It is called the learning curve and the luck of the draw. Just remember that when you wish for more trinkets and do dads and automatic easy peasy stuff the odds go up. New stuff means untried stuff. Engineers can test but, give it to the public is the only test that is perfect. Automobiles are the most complicated and costly thing you will ever own. Just to make you feel a little better you are not alone. Web sites like this are a place for complaints to show up. When I bought a Ford diesel and went to Ford diesel web site I thought "o crap when I heard all the complaints about diesels. :shock: But, when things did happen I was ready with the info needed to fix it. :blush:
Yup, I accepted all those things when I first bought the truck. First generation in the US had me a bit wary, but I've got the most bone stock XL you could get with 4x4, so bells and whistles, there aren't many.

As long as Ford honors the warranty, I have no problem if stuff breaks. Feel bad for the guy this happens to outside of warranty though, you have to pull the dash to get to it apparently.

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Another loud pop and ratcheting sound today. First time I had been out and about longer than the commute to work since getting it fixed.

So back to having no heat and calling the dealer again tomorrow. Oh joy.

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
sounds like they didn;t fix the cause, only the part that broke because of it.
they perhaps should go a couple steps further into the system and see what isnt installed right thats causing the part to fail.

they wont solve it by repeatedly changing the broken part.
Apparently, the Ford Service troubleshooter ends at "replace this part" because the truck is too new.

They sent an internal request to Ford for guidance, I drop it off Wednesday for them to do whatever they are going to do. Rumor is they're going to have to replace the whole HVAC system but we'll see.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
That was my guess.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
This is getting to be the hard part! I shopped around, could find one for sales experience, but on service side have yet to find one that will be stellar and want to trust. Also believe this is not just a ford problem, but all the car manufacturing dealers these days. Also when I was in the land of cheese like you are, I had an easier time finding multiple ones I would trust :) Now that I am removed having a real hard time finding a genuine place.

If anyone has recommendations for a great ford dealer on the service side in the Greater Charlotte/Lake Norman area let me know.

Hey G5,
I live in Charlotte, shopped for a Ranger and walked out of 3 Ford dealerships. As a last attempt for a Ranger, I went to Town and Country and found the sales guys to be honest (after several recommendations) and have spoken to the service department. We bought a Ranger in September of last year, only have 1.5k miles on it, so we have not experienced the service department first hand. I'm concerned about the results, but they always treated me well when I spoke with them. I'd give them a visit. Our sales guy was Carl...maybe he can take care of you. Good luck.

wick.jpg

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update: In a Ford Escape top trim rental for the indeterminate future.

Ford told them to replace the "HVAC Box" which contains the part that they have been replacing. However, the part is on backorder, and so is the box, and currently there is no ETA.

So my projected repair time is 1 week - 2 months. So that's fun. Dealer sent in a priority request to get a part ASAP, but, she didn't seem very confident that was gonna work.

The good part about all this and why I am not even mad is I've been able to build a relationship with the service rep, so that I no longer get the cold shoulder, and she's trying her best to make things right.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Update: In a Ford Escape top trim rental for the indeterminate future.

Ford told them to replace the "HVAC Box" which contains the part that they have been replacing. However, the part is on backorder, and so is the box, and currently there is no ETA.

So my projected repair time is 1 week - 2 months. So that's fun. Dealer sent in a priority request to get a part ASAP, but, she didn't seem very confident that was gonna work.

The good part about all this and why I am not even mad is I've been able to build a relationship with the service rep, so that I no longer get the cold shoulder, and she's trying her best to make things right.
Hey Joe,
I don't want to be in an endless cycle of no parts, no appointments, I lost the paperwork, etc. I read on this forum that the part is in short supply...or no supply. Ford seems to worry about new car supply first, and not the owner. If the truck doesn't catch fire and there is no odor...I figure I'm as good as I can be.
I would rather compress my visits to the service department to as few as I can. Ford will eventually catch up with me.

OP
OP
Tangent

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got my truck back finally after a full month in the loaner while we waited for Ford to send the part.

Parts that got replaced:

KB3Z-18478-AA
-W714409S439
HL3Z-19B596-A

Which involved pulling the entire dash and center console apparently, and replacing the HVAC box.

Super glad to have my truck back, but damn, really notice the Ranger bounce after not driving it for a month.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Ford took care of you. Thumbs up to Ford. Bet that was a heck of a warranty bill. Did you see what the hours were in the op code? I'll guess about 6.0 and it took the tech 10 or more.
I've seen may reasons an hvac box fails early on. Even some dumb factory screw ups but hey, it happens. They can be a b*tch to do because of all the coolant and AC lines attached not to mention all the electrical. But dashes are a breeze to pull nowadays. They look complex, but everything just snaps in place instead of a zillion screws like the days of old.
Glad you're up and running and hope it stays that way. Enjoy the bounce. It's a truck and let's you know it!

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I had issues with a vehicle that lasted a month once. Instead of getting mad. I asked them to pay my car payment while it was in the shop. They paid two ultimately. That seemed fair. Might be worth asking for. If you give them time to take care of you, a rental isn’t a replacement. Explained to them it’s winter and the car I had been given didn’t have snow tires and wasn’t serviceable.

jdiaz037

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hello,

I am currently experiencing this myself. The clicking issue had been occurring for some time until 2 weeks ago the climate control stopped working and I have no heater. Dealer says I need to replace
part number kb3z-18478-aa however its on national recall apparently. I have to expected delivery date on the part and winter is on its way in Virginia.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I sure hope my 2020 does not suffer from quality issues that Tangent is experiencing because there are just 3 Ford dealers in Honolulu.
Yes, it is my choice to live on an island in the middle of the Pacific, so it is what it is...
I worked at a Lincoln/Mercury-Honda agency for almost 14 years as a line mechanic and came across all sorts of Ford snafus, mind you we were to sole L/M dealership on the island.
  • '77 Cougar XR-7 with a 351M that was missing a piston and connecting rod
  • '78 Monarch 4 door with a dashboard assy. that was a totally different color from the rest on the interior
  • '78 Lincoln Town Car with a marble rolling around in the left rocker panel
  • '79 Zephyr 2 door sedan in which the wiper motor was attached with zip-ties
  • '80 Colony Park wagon in which the rear headliner was missing (wagons had 2 separate liners)
  • '81 Continental Mark VI with a 255W V8 installed instead of the correct 302W
How do I remember all these snafus? because I had to fix them...and all of them left the factory the way they were!
77-81???? How is this relevant in 2020??

This one time, I took my model A in for service..............

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

I am currently experiencing this myself. The clicking issue had been occurring for some time until 2 weeks ago the climate control stopped working and I have no heater. Dealer says I need to replace
part number kb3z-18478-aa however its on national recall apparently. I have to expected delivery date on the part and winter is on its way in Virginia.
Blend door actuator?
Sponsored