First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I installed wiring for a ham radio antenna under the left rear door sill, removing the plastic cover plate. When reinstalling the plate I broke off one of the tabs that secures it in place. I want to glue the tab back on but don't know what kind of glue works with the plastic in the Ranger.

I tried PVC cement and it didn't work. Any suggestions? Glue is a lot cheaper than the replacement part.

Ranger 2.jpg

That is ABS plastic and most epoxy's and glues will not work on it, this includes standard super glue.

This stuff right here.. Plastic Surgery Super Glue is amazing. It does an amazing job at bonding ABS mas well as many other plastics that most other glues fail to bond. I have used it on ABS car parts, to seal seams on acrylic sumps for salt water fish tanks as well as acrylic fish tanks. As long as the parts are clean it'll work and should hold long enough until you can get another one.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I had the same exact thing happen on mine. Lost a clip and some plastic on both the front and rear driver's side door sills. It's Fords cheap crap plastic that they use. You can see how thin and weak the plastic is that holds the clip to the trim piece. This situation was one of the things I knew would be annoying when buying a Ford, but overall the Ranger is great.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Accountant
Keep in mind too, that if you go buy a new replacement part from Ford, the next time you need to remove the panel for any reason, it will most likely break again.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Keep in mind too, that if you go buy a new replacement part from Ford, the next time you need to remove the panel for any reason, it will most likely break again.
Removed mine 3 times.
This part did not break.
Round plug clip on foot kick panel broke. Purchased from my link spare clips for trim and doors.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I had the same exact thing happen on mine. Lost a clip and some plastic on both the front and rear driver's side door sills. It's Fords cheap crap plastic that they use. You can see how thin and weak the plastic is that holds the clip to the trim piece. This situation was one of the things I knew would be annoying when buying a Ford, but overall the Ranger is great.

It's not just Ford. It's been like this since the early to mid 90's when manufacturers shifted to plastic clips. Just about every modern car is built in the same fashion as this using the absolute minimal material as possible and overly fragile clips to produce and mount the body panels. I will typically purchase an assortment of the most common clips and retainers used on a car I own. More often than not even when using trim tools and being careful those clips will still break. So it's good to have spares or a means to fix the panel mounting points when they break.

OP
OP
JonB

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Appreciate all of the suggestions. Going to try some glue. Will report on success/failure. Last resort is buy a replacement part.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Accountant
It's not just Ford. It's been like this since the early to mid 90's when manufacturers shifted to plastic clips. Just about every modern car is built in the same fashion as this using the absolute minimal material as possible and overly fragile clips to produce and mount the body panels. I will typically purchase an assortment of the most common clips and retainers used on a car I own. More often than not even when using trim tools and being careful those clips will still break. So it's good to have spares or a means to fix the panel mounting points when they break.
While I agree with plastic clips being fragile and all that, not all manufacturers are equal in this department. I have been working in the 12 volt industry for over 20 years, and could write a book about how good and bad certain manufacturers are at designing interior parts. Ford has never been very great, but they are definitely better than GM and Chrysler (the worst). Most Japanese vehicles are really good, and German vehicles are easily the best. This is considering having to remove and reinstall panels, clips, fit/finish, etc.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
While I agree with plastic clips being fragile and all that, not all manufacturers are equal in this department. I have been working in the 12 volt industry for over 20 years, and could write a book about how good and bad certain manufacturers are at designing interior parts. Ford has never been very great, but they are definitely better than GM and Chrysler (the worst). Most Japanese vehicles are really good, and German vehicles are easily the best. This is considering having to remove and reinstall panels, clips, fit/finish, etc.

Heh tell that to the two VW's I owned. The retainer clips on those cars would break if you sneezed from inside the house.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Accountant
Heh tell that to the two VW's I owned. The retainer clips on those cars would break if you sneezed from inside the house.
My bad, VW is the exception to German cars being nicely put together.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
My bad, VW is the exception to German cars being nicely put together.
lol. Ain't that the truth. Sadly VW also owns Audi, Porsche, Bently, Bugatti and Lamborghini, yet their own branded cars are treated like the red-headed step child of the bunch.

OP
OP
JonB

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Thought I should finish this up. I used Surgery Super Glue and it did the trick. All glued back together and installed. Thanks for all the suggestions.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
Worked on interiors for many years, at ford dealerships--I welded these clip brackets, back on to the door panels, A &B pillar trim covers, sill panels, ect--Used the below "gas" soldering tool, on low, and just about any "plastic rod" works for filler/reinforcement.
DSC02372.JPG

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
Might be too late, but these 2 items have helped me “Not“
break clips anymore...lol ?

B725732E-68D9-465A-9959-A2E065D9E62A.jpeg