Hands Free driver assist Coming to Ford Vehicles, including Ranger

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Well Pride, luckily my truck did not come with ACC or lane keep assist because I'd rather be my own nanny. And yes, I am aware of being able to set the threshold detection distance; it was the same on the subaru, still annoying and unless you set the threshold to zero it would still fight you every time you tried to pass...
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Encouraging people to take their hands off the wheel to get drinks etc. is a bad (and dangerous) idea in my opinion. Even on the present Ranger, I use traditional cruise control but not the adaptive one because I want to make these life-and-death decisions myself instead of trusting HAL to make them for me.
That has been the cause of every fatal crash involving autonomous tech that I've read about. In one example, a trained test driver, who supposedly knew the limitations of the tech, is lulled into thinking he didn't have to pay attention once the nannybot was engaged, The level 3- equipped car he was monitoring failed to see a bicyclist crossing the road and ran over her while he was busy with his phone
Anyway, they can put all this stuff in our cars, but we don't have to use them....
YET. It's only a short leap until the bean counters decide that money could be saved by deleting the conventional cruise, and doing away with the on/off. And the buyer is still having to pay for it* whether it is used or not.
*CoPilot 360 std on XLT and Lariat, no delete option: $625 option on XL

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
They havent even been able to push out updated Sync versions.

Deleted member 1634

Just my two cents:

Deaths and vehicle accidents are always going to happen. How many of the autonomous accidents would've happened anyways, even with a "trained/professional" driver, let alone an average driver? How many didn't happen because of the system that otherwise would with an average driver? No computer is ever going to be perfect. But no human is either. Humans are stupid, always will be. All you guys who think you're the best driver's in the world and will always be able to avoid an accident are delusional. Accidents happen, even to the best of us. And especially to those who are not "great" drivers, of which there are plenty. Why not employ every available option to help lower the rate.

That being said, I'm not comfortable completely relinquishing control. But that could be said about anything, just ask my wife how much of a control freak I am. haha So I'm not sure a auto-pilot situation, as of this moment, is the way I would go. But added safety features I'm all on board with.

Also, someone not using their turn signals, either when turning or changing lanes, is one of my most hated driving practices. It's not that hard to do, especially with the "touch it once and it blinks x number of times" thing.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just my two cents:

Deaths and vehicle accidents are always going to happen. How many of the autonomous accidents would've happened anyways, even with a "trained/professional" driver, let alone an average driver? How many didn't happen because of the system that otherwise would with an average driver? No computer is ever going to be perfect. But no human is either. Humans are stupid, always will be. All you guys who think you're the best driver's in the world and will always be able to avoid an accident are delusional. Accidents happen, even to the best of us. And especially to those who are not "great" drivers, of which there are plenty. Why not employ every available option to help lower the rate.

That being said, I'm not comfortable completely relinquishing control. But that could be said about anything, just ask my wife how much of a control freak I am. haha So I'm not sure a auto-pilot situation, as of this moment, is the way I would go. But added safety features I'm all on board with.

Also, someone not using their turn signals, either when turning or changing lanes, is one of my most hated driving practices. It's not that hard to do, especially with the "touch it once and it blinks x number of times" thing.
Hi Matt,

One of the things my Friend was working at the Ford Proving Ground was to have the vehicle activate turn signal and change lanes if the vehicle comes up on a slower moving vehicle, thus maintaining the cruise control set speed instead of just slowing down like ACC does currently. All this lane changing would be done hands free of the driver.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Deleted member 1634

Hi Matt,

One of the things my Friend was working at the Ford Proving Ground was to have the vehicle activate turn signal and change lanes if the vehicle comes up on a slower moving vehicle, thus maintaining the cruise control set speed instead of just slowing down like ACC does currently. All this lane changing would be done hands free of the driver.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That would be interesting. That means it would have to understand the type of roadway (single or multiple lanes in each direction), read and understand the lane lines to know if it's a passing zone or not, be able to look far enough ahead to not pull out and collide head on with a semi or something, and look far enough behind to not be rear ended by a speeder trying to pass everyone. Pretty complicated stuff. If it forces people to use their signal and is more aware of the other vehicles around it than most drivers I see on the road, then let's do it.

Truckee Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew 4 x 4; 2015 Nissan Murano; 2019 Honda CRF 250F; 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan;
Occupation
Construction Consultant
I had a situation at a traffic light where the person in front of me was slow to react to the green light, then sped up and slammed on the brakes when the light started to turn yellow. I never had a chance to react before the truck stopped itself. I'm a fan.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That would be interesting. That means it would have to understand the type of roadway (single or multiple lanes in each direction), read and understand the lane lines to know if it's a passing zone or not, be able to look far enough ahead to not pull out and collide head on with a semi or something, and look far enough behind to not be rear ended by a speeder trying to pass everyone. Pretty complicated stuff. If it forces people to use their signal and is more aware of the other vehicles around it than most drivers I see on the road, then let's do it.
Hi Matt,

The whole hands free is only on Blue Roads, Roads that have been mapped every inch of the road...look for it to be limited access for the most part, eg Interstates. As I recall my buddy related it did not apply on two lane roads that are Blue, only when there are two lanes in each direction. I wonder if the owners manual will get to be like the size of War and Peace.... It already ballooned for Sync...

How about when a portion of a highway is repaved but not yet striped. They have a workaround for that as my buddy indicated including a time when the system alerts you to take control again for some reason. I assume this means that the system watches to ensure you are not sleeping etc.

I think I told this back story before but here it is again. Wife and I were in Yellowstone National Park and were surprised to find a Buffalo walking down the center double line. So I grabbed my camera and shot a picture out the driver's window hoping I would get one that showed the buffalo. I was successful as we were only going about 2mph or less....at a crawl. I sent it to my buddy and he told me he was sending this to the data folks at Ford as they did not have a buffalo in the archives. This was about 10 years ago..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. retired

Deleted member 1634

Hi Matt,

The whole hands free is only on Blue Roads, Roads that have been mapped every inch of the road...look for it to be limited access for the most part, eg Interstates. As I recall my buddy related it did not apply on two lane roads that are Blue, only when there are two lanes in each direction. I wonder if the owners manual will get to be like the size of War and Peace.... It already ballooned for Sync...

How about when a portion of a highway is repaved but not yet striped. They have a workaround for that as my buddy indicated including a time when the system alerts you to take control again for some reason. I assume this means that the system watches to ensure you are not sleeping etc.

I think I told this back story before but here it is again. Wife and I were in Yellowstone National Park and were surprised to find a Buffalo walking down the center double line. So I grabbed my camera and shot a picture out the driver's window hoping I would get one that showed the buffalo. I was successful as we were only going about 2mph or less....at a crawl. I sent it to my buddy and he told me he was sending this to the data folks at Ford as they did not have a buffalo in the archives. This was about 10 years ago..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. retired
Probably not a system I would get much use out of then if it requires the mapping. Google hasn't even gotten to some of the roads around here. haha I hardly get much freeway driving in, let alone multi-lane highways. haha

Yeah, I suppose there is always the out of "human take control" for occurrences outside of the programming. Just requires people to understand that. That'll be the hard part.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
you feel way less tired on long drives when the mundane part of staying centered in the lane is done for you. There are still some kinks to work out but a car on autopilot is way a better driver than any of these kids staring at their phone while driving.
Staying centered in the lane will make a big difference. We ordered the driver assist package on the Ranger primarily to get ACC, but it also came with lane assist so I tried it out a few times. My biggest disappointment with the lane assist is that while it does help keep you from crossing out of a lane on well-marked highways, it does not help keep the vehicle centered in the lane even when the markings are very clear. Because of this, I only find it useful in a small handful of circumstances

I'm not sure why Ford chose not to do lane centering even though all the required hardware is probably there (the system already knows where the lane markings are and can already actuate the steering wheel, but it waits until you've almost left the lane). For one, lane centering would relieve a lot more driving stress than just preventing lane departure at the last second. In addition, if the system helped keep the vehicle centered, it would have to make smaller continuous adjustments rather than large last-minute adjustments and it would work far more of the time compared to waiting until the vehicle is about to cross the lane marking, especially if it's about to cross at a high angle.

EDIT: Lane centering doesn't necessarily need to be hands-free, it can be similar to the current system except that it doesn't wait until the last minute to make adjustments. That shouldn't require "Blue Roads", I would think.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I highly recommend looking at the Tesla system with Autopilot. They have configuration options to set the car to auto change lanes if you want. It can see all the vehicles around and know when it is safe to change lanes. If there is currently a car in lane next to you if will wait till the car has passed or lane is open with enough space for car to move over.

Staying centered in the lane will make a big difference. We ordered the driver assist package on the Ranger primarily to get ACC, but it also came with lane assist so I tried it out a few times. My biggest disappointment with the lane assist is that while it does help keep you from crossing out of a lane on well-marked highways, it does not help keep the vehicle centered in the lane even when the markings are very clear. Because of this, I only find it useful in a small handful of circumstances

I'm not sure why Ford chose not to do lane centering even though all the required hardware is probably there (the system already knows where the lane markings are and can already actuate the steering wheel, but it waits until you've almost left the lane). For one, lane centering would relieve a lot more driving stress than just preventing lane departure at the last second. In addition, if the system helped keep the vehicle centered, it would have to make smaller continuous adjustments rather than large last-minute adjustments and it would work far more of the time compared to waiting until the vehicle is about to cross the lane marking, especially if it's about to cross at a high angle.

EDIT: Lane centering doesn't necessarily need to be hands-free, it can be similar to the current system except that it doesn't wait until the last minute to make adjustments. That shouldn't require "Blue Roads", I would think.
ACC is awesome, if you like it, which I really do. The current ranger lane keep assist is pretty sad. I tried it a few times on open highway and felt like I was swerving between lines and truck would even drive over line and have no idea it just left the lane. I never use lane keep on my truck.

Deleted member 1634

I highly recommend looking at the Tesla system with Autopilot. They have configuration options to set the car to auto change lanes if you want. It can see all the vehicles around and know when it is safe to change lanes. If there is currently a car in lane next to you if will wait till the car has passed or lane is open with enough space for car to move over.
I've seen demonstrations of that on car shows. Grand Tour maybe? I don't remember anymore. But does that work on non-multi lane roads? It's fairly easy (relatively) to move over a lane when everyone is moving the same direction at relatively the same speed. The real test will be when one can navigate a two lane rural road (one in each direction), understand the lane markings, and not get smashed by a logging truck coming the other direction. Then it'll be of use to me. I do maybe a couple thousand freeway/multi-lane highway miles a year, and the other 20k miles is all rural roads.

Another nice system for those in cities and other developed areas, which is great don't get me wrong. A lot of those people don't like driving and/or don't need a car anyways. But it'll be a long time before someone comes out with an autopilot usable farm truck for those of us in the fly over states.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen demonstrations of that on car shows. Grand Tour maybe? I don't remember anymore. But does that work on non-multi lane roads? It's fairly easy (relatively) to move over a lane when everyone is moving the same direction at relatively the same speed. The real test will be when one can navigate a two lane rural road (one in each direction), understand the lane markings, and not get smashed by a logging truck coming the other direction. Then it'll be of use to me. I do maybe a couple thousand freeway/multi-lane highway miles a year, and the other 20k miles is all rural roads.

Another nice system for those in cities and other developed areas, which is great don't get me wrong. A lot of those people don't like driving and/or don't need a car anyways. But it'll be a long time before someone comes out with an autopilot usable farm truck for those of us in the fly over states.
Visible lane markings is the key. The tesla uses camera vision to see the lines. I have no problem on the 2 lane roads where I live as long as the lines aren't completely worn off. When I leave the nice paved roads for 1.5 car wide gravel roads, the car won't allow you to turn on the autopilot as it is unsure where the road is.

Recently took the car on a 1000 mile trip across a main interstate. There was quite alot of construction with miles of road being between concrete barriers and cones, the autopilot was flawless. It perfectly stayed in the lines and shifted over with traffic on it's own

Don't most new fancy john deere tractors have some autopilot system? probably more gps based and not truly that accurate? I've heard ppl say you get in, tell the tractor what field and crop then sit back and take a nap while it plows/plants

Deleted member 1634

Visible lane markings is the key. The tesla uses camera vision to see the lines. I have no problem on the 2 lane roads where I live as long as the lines aren't completely worn off. When I leave the nice paved roads for 1.5 car wide gravel roads, the car won't allow you to turn on the autopilot as it is unsure where the road is.

Recently took the car on a 1000 mile trip across a main interstate. There was quite alot of construction with miles of road being between concrete barriers and cones, the autopilot was flawless. It perfectly stayed in the lines and shifted over with traffic on it's own

Don't most new fancy john deere tractors have some autopilot system? probably more gps based and not truly that accurate? I've heard ppl say you get in, tell the tractor what field and crop then sit back and take a nap while it plows/plants
Staying between the lines isn't the problem. I don't discount that works very well. The Ranger can figure that out some of the time around here too. It's the passing aspect that will be complicated. But as @RANGER PRIDE noted, if every vehicle is autopilot, then there would be no need for passing. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad system or a non-useful system. Just that a lot of rural people won't be able to use that kind of stuff for quite some time. Though rural people don't account for very much of the population anymore, which is exactly the way I like it. haha And it would require substantial infrastructure changes which the US is not good at as well. Tesla's are amazing engineering marvels and I'm glad they're pushing the envelope and forcing others to up their game, but they're not for everyone. At least not yet.

Some of the big million+ dollar combines have GPS controls, yeah. They're not much different than a little LEGO robot or something though, where you program what you want it to do, and it goes through the motions. At least as far as I understand it. I don't own one personally. haha I was using "farm truck" as a generic term for all the vehicles rural people use everyday. Which includes plenty of scenarios in which an autopilot vehicle would give up on, as you've experienced in the Tesla. I can't think of how to make autopilot that can deal with those types of conditions, but that's why there are other people working on it. haha

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The current ranger lane keep assist is pretty sad. I tried it a few times on open highway and felt like I was swerving between lines and truck would even drive over line and have no idea it just left the lane. I never use lane keep on my truck.
probably why its an assist only. its not autopilot.
It's fine that it's just an assist and not an autopilot, the problem is that it's not a particularly well designed assist, at least a number of us feel that way. It waits until you've almost hit the line before it does anything, and because of that it often must swerve at the last second. As @P. A. Schilke has said, it won't use so much force that it jerks the wheel out of your hand, but because its force is limited, it will sometimes not make the adjustment in time (sometimes fairly often on winding roads, even if the markings are good). The fact that it can miss so often means that it can actually add driver stress rather than reduce it.

If it assisted by trying to keep the vehicle centered in the lane instead, it would make many more smaller corrections as soon as you drift off center, rather than one large correction once you've almost crossed over (which causes it to often miss).

It would still be an assist and not hands-free autopilot, you would still need to hold the wheel. The driver would feel more but smaller corrections. I get that some people might not prefer that, so it could be added as an additional mode to the current system, probably with just a software mod. Just my opinion of course, but like @DeathRanger , I rarely use the system because of its tendency to not do anything until it has to swerve to correct it.
Sponsored

Last edited: