oubbascooba

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
So, i'm new to the exploring side since this is my first small 4x4. I do however mountain bike all over the country and know how fast cell reception can drop off. I was wondering which is the better option if exploring in national forests around the nation when cell reception is null. I do realize they take certifications to operate, i just see many forums battling over which is better to have. Step one is to choose, then I will explore courses and take certifications needed. Anyone have any input?
Sponsored

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
Ham. I don’t think I’ve ever seen GMRS on a trail run. Most people have just CB. Trail leaders usually have HAM and CB. You generally see that on larger gatherings.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I don't think you will find one option that will work for any circumstance. Around here, organized groups often use CB's. Also, with logging roads, the trucks use CB and it could be helpful to be able to know when they are in the area. If I'm going out with a couple of buddies we have used inexpensive handheld GMRS. I don't have a radio in this rig yet but in my Wrangler I had a HAM radio installed because I would be alone and wanted my best chance of radioing for help if I needed it and the cell didn't work.

I would say it depends on your needs. I wish there was one radio setup that did all three.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
CB radio is cheap and easy but limited (legally) in power and therefore range. It also does not have a viable portable (handheld) option. FRS (Family Radio Service) radios can be bought anywhere -- toy stores, gas stations, etc. They are small handheld walkie-talkies limited to .5 watts and small, stubby antennas. Neither CBs nor FRS radios require licensing.

Some FRS radios also include GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) frequencies, though they still are limited to .5 watt output. Real GMRS radios, both hand-held and mobile, can legally operate with external antennas and up to 50 watts mobile. GMRS does require a license, but it's merely an application and a $70 fee.

Ham radio offers the most options and highest power but requires passing an FCC licensing exam. Hams can use various frequencies and modes and up to 1500 watts of power.

Range is extended by the use of repeaters. Ham radio has the most -- there are some GMRS repeaters, though not in less populated areas.

I have a 50-watt, UHF/VHF/digital mobile ham radio in my Ranger.

Jon

Hiddleston

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
motobike
So, i'm new to the exploring side since this is my first small 4x4. I do however mountain bike all over the country and know how fast cell reception can drop off. I was wondering which is the better option if exploring in national forests around the nation when cell reception is null. I do realize they take certifications to operate, i just see many forums battling over which is better to have. Step one is to choose, then I will explore courses and take certifications needed. Anyone have any input?
There are multiple reasons for you to invest some bucks in GMRS radio for a change
For example, if you are planning to go on a fishing trip or camping with family or friends, these two-way radios will help you stay connected with one another easily. Make sure that there remains on obstacles between the ranges to help these radios function correctly.
and, you DO need a license to use a GMRS radio. FCC mainly requires you to have a GMRS license. Consumers must have an active and valid license before using GMRS radio. I have one as well, and it took my $70 for a few years’ tenures(10). You can get it too, and the steps are pretty simple!

Last edited: