New licence fees for GMRS and HAM radios!!!!!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree, half the price for the same amount of time!!

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I was on the fence getting the GMRS. This will seal the deal. Hope more jump on the train.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Yeah but.....
Amateur Radio (Ham) now has a fee where it didn't in the past. I still think it is fair and I'm not one of the guys glitching about it. They actually came in right where I was looking to be - $20 to $30 range. I'll probably step up and get the GMRS license now and I know this is going to upset some GMRS folks, but I'm still going to use my Ham Call on GMRS. I don't have a different Drivers License for each car I drive, and I'm not going to be flipping back and forth with these two calls either.

I've also considered forming a trust so I can get a business license. Why? Encryption, mi Amigos!

Last edited:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I agree, half the price for the same amount of time!!
I think you mis-understand. GMRS is still $70 (down from $85?) and Ham is now $35 - up from free.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think you mis-understand. GMRS is still $70 (down from $85?) and Ham is now $35 - up from free.
GMRS is also $35 from $70. The article even said so. Now I do understand it may be a little bit until the price changes take effect but I'm still excited about it.

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
i am seriously considering a radio for the truck for emergencies. frs or gmrs? the 32 inches of snow the other day and i had to drive in it in an area with no cell service got me to thinking..................

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i am seriously considering a radio for the truck for emergencies. frs or gmrs? the 32 inches of snow the other day and i had to drive in it in an area with no cell service got me to thinking..................
Both of those will communicate with wash other but GRMS is way more powerful. As for ham radio? Well let's just say with the right setup you can talk to someone on the other side of the globe.

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
Both of those will communicate with wash other but GRMS is way more powerful. As for ham radio? Well let's just say with the right setup you can talk to someone on the other side of the globe.
leaning toward gmrs..........looking for a setup with antenna etc. plug and play so to speak

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
FCC MD Docket #20-270 lowered GMRS fees to $35 and raised ham radio fees from free to $35, both considered to be "personal licenses." I have both. Call signs are different and not interchangeable. Licenses are for ten years and renewable if renewed prior to expiration (there may be a grace period).

GMRS is limited to 50 watts of transmitted power for mobile stations; 15 watts for fixed (base) stations. GMRS has a set number of frequencies (channels) in the 462 MHZ band. The GMRS license is obtained by filling out a form and paying a fee.

Ham radio power limit can be as high as 1500 watts, depending on band. Hams can operate on numerous bands and frequencies, some suitable for long distance communication and others for shorter distance. Ham radio requires a knowledge-based exam. There are four different grades of licenses with higher grades allowing more privileges (bands).

Capt'n Awesome

First Name
Captain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 05 Wrangler, 19 Slingshot, 04 330xi
Occupation
Enthusiast
Tech, general, and extra. What’s the fourth?
Sponsored