John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I make bad choices.
Screenshot 2024-02-20 075927.png

It was $48.89 plus the ride. It was described as having a dead trigger and missing the firing pin and selector spring.

The good news is, it truly is only missing a tiny spring and the striker that goes on the hammer. The other good news is that the trigger was actually dead, but only because the mainspring and guide were installed upside down!

The ultra-bad news is that parts for these are nonexistent! I could only find the tiny spring I needed to get this back functioning. Until I broadened my search to be more generic, and I found one single, solitary parts kit labeled as a generic .22 derringer parts kit for, after shipping, twice what I paid for this stupid thing! HAHAHAHA I am bad at this hobby! 🤣 But I have always wanted a derringer for the novelty of it and I like fixing cast-aside broken guns. It's like saving dogs from the pound, kind of.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I make bad choices.

It was $48.89 plus the ride. It was described as having a dead trigger and missing the firing pin and selector spring.

The good news is, it truly is only missing a tiny spring and the striker that goes on the hammer. The other good news is that the trigger was actually dead, but only because the mainspring and guide were installed upside down!

The ultra-bad news is that parts for these are nonexistent! I could only find the tiny spring I needed to get this back functioning. Until I broadened my search to be more generic, and I found one single, solitary parts kit labeled as a generic .22 derringer parts kit for, after shipping, twice what I paid for this stupid thing! HAHAHAHA I am bad at this hobby! 🤣 But I have always wanted a derringer for the novelty of it and I like fixing cast-aside broken guns. It's like saving dogs from the pound, kind of.
I recently saw one of these in a gun store chambered in of all things...45-70 government. I think it was less a matter of making a firearm and more the manufacturers expertise in metallurgy.

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
I recently saw one of these in a gun store chambered in of all things...45-70 government. I think it was less a matter of making a firearm and more the manufacturers expertise in metallurgy.
That would take the joy out of shooting.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Wouldn't the cartridge be longer than the barrel?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
yup, I need that !

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
They actually engrave the bullet on the barrel, it's most of it. This poor guy is the QC tester.

i met gordon once in weatherford at a gun show. nice guy. they are made not too far from me. hes the owner if i remember correctly.

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
probably would've saved Custer and crew if they had those 140 years ago. In modern times, I guess you can go elk hunting with a derringer.

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
I make bad choices.

I've been looking at some these on auction websites, and I've been tempted. But, I am still trying to acquire a Colt 1849, so I've held off.

I picked up a Remington 1858 army replica. Still looking for an original of one of those also. For now, though, that forced me to get everything else required for black powder pistol shooting, and gave me a non-antique to get started with whilst I fine tune it.

Reactions: Doc

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
I used to drive the trails in Talladega - absolutely beautiful. But, if there was ever an argument about carrying a gun when camping, this is it!
https://www.wvtm13.com/article/cheaha-state-park-murder-alabama-talladega/46291439

The sad story then grows even more concerning with this development.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-robbery-fatal-shooting-child-gun/7846391001/
sorry, checking in after awhile away. I remembered when this happened, as I'm not too far from there. If I recall, the guy had a weapon, and got into a mini-shootout with the women.

I frequent the National Forest in GA. I am always a little conflicted about how much is too much to bring along. Usually, it's just a 9mm and a .45, with extra mags. Sometimes, I'll bring a 12 gauge.

I was trail riding one day, and went up this little road to a mountaintop. It was real narrow - barely wide enough for the Ranger. There were 2 50ish year old women up there. They had been hiking for a few hours, and had a few more to go until camp time. One of them was armed, but I still feared for them. They seemed to be veterans at it though.

I do always have my Garmin InReach also. That's more in case I break an ankle or something though.

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Looking for a pistol recommendation, have owned rifles and shotguns for hunting, I recently purchased an RV and plan to do some camping in remore area so the pistol will be for personal protect reasons and moreso against 2 legged beasts than 4 legged ones. I've shot pistols in the past but not for a while, I stopped by a bass pro shop yesterday and looked at a few ruger 9mm and glocks , they were lower cost and probably looking to spend up to $350 if I can get a decent pistol for that price. But did learn some pistols are setup for either right or left hand and some are universal, I'm a lefty and wife is a righty, I'd like to teach her how to use the pistol. I'm thinking of one with a magazine as opposed to a revolver but open to both. This will not be for concealed carry.

thanks
late response, but I carry two when in the woods: a .45ACP Glock 30. It's 10+1 rounds. I have an extra mag or two handy. It eats recoil pretty well, and I figure it would handle most things I come across. It's a little heavy loaded - gotta cinch my belt tight to keep my pants up.

The other thing I carry is a little Taurus .357 revolver (605 Protector Poly). Usually, it's loaded with snake shot in case I encounter a PO'd copperhead or timber rattler. Sometimes I load it with .357 mag, depending.

In my RV, I usually have those two, and my wife brings her little Glock 43. It's only 6+1, but it fits her well. I keep a couple extra mags for that too.

I bought the Glock 30 on guns.com used like new for about $400 with night sights and 4 mags. The 43 was a pandemic wife panic purchase that cost me way more than I want to admit to. The Taurus was cheap - maybe $220 or something.

I haven't carried long guns in the van yet, but we've typically been places like beachfront campgrounds or state parks. We're going to be a little more adventurous this summer, and I'll probably stash a long gun in there somewhere.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
RIGHT!? That's why I've been on a Holosun kick. I love the RMR on my GLOCK 34 MOS and I carried that on duty for years. But the side-load battery on the Holosun is just soooooooooo damn convenient! LOL
Yeah but for the most part they retain zero. This year my G19 was dead on and G34 a little low.

I shoot my SD ammo so well I'm thinking of reloading 9mm so I can use it more. This really zips and shoots like a precision pistol round I tell ya! But I'm not plinking with $1.50 SD ammo. I saw SPP at 5 cent each recently too.

https://lehighdefense.com/355-diameter-68-grain-xtreme-defense-bullets-100-count.html

Edit: Cheaper link: https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/.33-9mm-ftm-exd-68gr-bullet-box-100

Last edited:

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
IMG_4224.jpeg

IMG_4228.jpeg

IMG_4229.jpeg

IMG_4230.jpeg

IMG_4244.jpeg

IMG_4248.jpeg

Spent Saturday at the range zeroing rifles and shotguns (slugs at 50 yards).

For what it is and the price, the PSA JAKL shoots right along side the IWI Carmel that costs more, but is front heavy with the operating system in it.

I’m more excited about the 18” Compass Lake rebarreled ADM rifle and how well it shoots. Barrel break-in is tedious, but after 200rds I got good accuracy and velocity from both Hornady 73gr Match and 75gr Black. The 73gr Match lines up almost perfectly with my BEC reticle and will be my competition rifle for the year!

After we were done, we headed out to night hunt with thermal, stacking up 4 coyotes before calling it a night.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Range time with my Prodigy, new-to-me Taurus G3C, two Jennings J-22, a Raven R-25, and a Rohm RG31. It was the day of Saturday Night Special!
20240302_101237.jpg

And the Sandhill Cranes didn't give a crap about us and the fact we had our heat on us! Gangsta' ass birds! 🤣
20240302_102700.jpg

20240302_102651.jpg