Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Well got to break my spare in today...

Long story short, had noticed an odd vibration sound while running a short errand. Had inspected tires, and was watching PSI via instrument cluster. All tires were 31-32.

Returning home on I-90 had just crossed state line heading home (WA into Idaho), and heard a loud noise (like if a large rock and been thrown from a tire) and about 10 seconds later got the "low tire pressure" light/warning. Front passenger showed 15. Was already in the right lane started to slow down/ turn hazards on hoping I could limp off the next exit. Less then 15 seconds later I was at 8 and still dropping fast. By the time I got to a stop on the shoulder at the bottom of the off ramp heard the dreaded thump thump thump. PSI was 2.

This is the first time in ANY vehicle I've owned I had to use my spare, pretty sure I had picked up a large screw or bolt at the dump earlier today. One of many memories to come I'm sure for the Ranger (I plan on keeping for a long time!). I'll post a picture of the hole I found in the tire tomorrow.

ALSO FYI: was surprised to see even for a full-size spare it's only rated to 50mph. I can only imagine this is because of the wheel it's mounted on and not the tire itself??
FCD353E9-E9C6-49BD-B938-2A9B65227AAE.jpeg
F40C1743-8A36-464C-B786-FD0F44132398.png
BCBEBD14-02D2-4DA3-8FF6-B7F1A938EB14.jpeg
Sponsored

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Glad you got yours changed. I had to use my spare a couple of weeks ago. The jack slipped twice on me while trying to get it high enough to get the tire off and spare on.
I wondered the same thing about the spare and the 50 mph rating. i would like to pick up one of the wheels and tires for sell on here in the marketplace, but all are too far from me.
Get that tire patched and keep on going! ?

OP
OP
NWRanger

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you got yours changed. I had to use my spare a couple of weeks ago. The jack slipped twice on me while trying to get it high enough to get the tire off and spare on.
I wondered the same thing about the spare and the 50 mph rating. i would like to pick up one of the wheels and tires for sell on here in the marketplace, but all are too far from me.
Get that tire patched and keep on going! ?
That's the plan! Today marks the end of my weekend (of course!) So I'll probably be riding on the spare till Tuesday. Speed limits from here to work are 25-35 so I'm comfortable waiting for my next day off.

Sorry to here you had so much trouble. That's sketchy for sure. Hopefully nothing to bad happened to require the spare.

I hadn't thought about picking up an extra wheel from on here, but it's on the to-do list now!

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
That's the plan! Today marks the end of my weekend (of course!) So I'll probably be riding on the spare till Tuesday. Speed limits from here to work are 25-35 so I'm comfortable waiting for my next day off.

Sorry to here you had so much trouble. That's sketchy for sure. Hopefully nothing to bad happened to require the spare.

I hadn't thought about picking up an extra wheel from on here, but it's on the to-do list now!
I got my full size spare wheel from the dealerships "take off" room from a ranger they had put wheels tires and lift on. Some members have reported in that they have had a full size spare fitted with a TPMS unit with success. That's next on my to-do list

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I think the 50mph warning is reminiscent of "times past" and non-full-size spares. Mostly because they're not truly rated the same or are different enough from your standard tires that it would potentially cause issues.

My spare is truly full-size, even if it's a 16" rim instead of 17", but it's the same size, circumference and width, and actually a higher weight rating than stock (110 = 2337lbs for stock, and 111 = 2403lbs for spare), so I suspect that these tires would last just as long, and far, as a normal one, and the 50mph rating is solely as a "CYA" for Ford.

I just had to use mine last weekend because my new Wildpeaks got a small hole in the sidewall, and I ran it on the front without issue (though I knew it was there since it's only 30" and the new tires are 32").
Sponsored