Flat Tire Advice

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
I'm at 8000 miles and I just got a flat tire.

I want to get the flat tire repaired use it as a spare and use my factory spare tire on the vehicle. Can I do that or is 8000 miles already too much wear on a tire to put a new tire on?

Also curious, do the tires wear evenly or does one or two tires experience more wear.

I know on my other vehicles the passenger front tire always experienced the most wear.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Screw is in the shoulder of the tire and un-repairable. I have a full size spare but have concerns over whether 8,000 miles is too many miles to use it. Difference between new and worn tires. I guess alternatively, I could order a replacement tire and have it shaved. Thoughts?

Thanks,
John
Sponsored

Last edited:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Well on a primarily RWD vehicle you usually see more wear on the rears, especially if you're a spirited driver. I don't see a reason you can't swap the spare and the other tire. I guess my question is, if you're going to fix the flat (assuming the sidewall is in good shape) why not just leave it in position?

OP
OP

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
Well on a primarily RWD vehicle you usually see more wear on the rears, especially if you're a spirited driver. I don't see a reason you can't swap the spare and the other tire. I guess my question is, if you're going to fix the flat (assuming the sidewall is in good shape) why not just leave it in position?

Just because I have a brand new tire hanging under the truck ready to go! Mine is 4x4.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 8000 miles and I just got a flat tire.

I want to get the flat tire repaired use it as a spare and use my factory spare tire on the vehicle. Can I do that or is 8000 miles already too much wear on a tire to put a new tire on?

Also curious, do the tires wear evenly or does one or two tires experience more wear.

I know on my other vehicles the passenger front tire always experienced the most wear.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,
John
Hi John,

I doubt your spare is a road tire, but is a Temporary Tire. You should check first before making a decision. The Manual indicates to rotate the tires at a maximum mileage of 10,000 miles or each oil change, depending on which is less mileage.

I think you are okay to mix in a new tire at 8,000 mark if you make that decision. How bad was the road tire damaged. Most good repair shops can make a simple puncture repair that is permanent and you can reuse the tire... I am not a fan of tire plugs but many folks have worn out plugged tires.

Good luck on your decision.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Your second paragraph with the last are confusing me. Maybe I'm just tired. If the flat is history I'd purchase a new matching tire and install it right rear, install current full size spare on left rear. Place 8000 mile old left rear in spare position. Or similar.
Sponsored