First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Has anyone, Ranger or no Ranger, ever experienced or heard of the AEB system autonomously fully brake your vehicle to avoid or reduce effects of a collision?

I have only experienced and read of the warnings and brake assist.

Just curious!
Sponsored

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Good question. I'll be watching this. I'm turning mine off when I tow my travel trailer.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Happened to me once when someone in front of me made a turn. I had slowed down, but did not apply the breaks. Apparently the system was not happy with this and braking & alarms came on.
Same thing here.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen the "big red box" pop up on the center screen a very few times when someone pulled out in front of me, did not feel the truck brake. My wife says she didn't see the box or hear any warning from the truck when the lady turned in front of her and was struck by our Ranger. Happened so quickly she didn't even apply the brakes yet when she hit. Car came out of nowhere so no time for her or Sky Net to react.

Last edited:

Russd

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw bus 4runner
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Happened to me once. Maybe 5-7 years ago..? Used to drive semi’s for ups. Well during Christmas time they gave me a ups freight truck to drive. Newish, automatic, nice truck. They don’t tell you anything about these things..
anyways I’m coming down the freeway, right lane, 65 cruise on and the freeway curves to the left pretty good. Well there’s an off ramp that goes straight off the freeway right there also. No biggie right. Car getting off the freeway slowing down but clearly off the freeway and out of my way. This truck I’m driving thinks I’m headed straight for him and slams on the brakes! Didn’t lock up due to abs but pretty shocking situation being I didn’t know this had that option or even existed at that time.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I had the Pre-collision alarms go off this week when the driver ahead of me decided to stop on the ramp of the interstate. The alarms definitely prevented me from ramming him, but I think it was more of my reaction to the alarms than the auto brakes engaging.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Caught me out, I'm WOT to get through a gap in a train of tractor trailers, not a problem normally, I get up to the back of the one in front of me, just about to slip through the gap, the truck beeps, brakes and shuts down the throttle. fortunately the gap was big enough to still slip through and everything came back quick enough to not get run over by the truck I just passed.
All I could think was "the truck is trying to save me and in the process it almost wrecked me" but in it's defense I do drive kinda hard.
The amount of electronics on modern vehicles is amazing, they will be driving all of us soon.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen the collision warning box pop up several times on my Ranger but no evasive action by the computer. I'm wondering if the system only does self braking if you have the adaptive cruise with the radar unit up front....and not just the camera system. On my Hyundai Kona Ultimate I even have pedestrian monitoring. It definitely uses the radar system to help make decisions on when to brake AND STEER for you....I tell you what....if you don't watch it that system will hurt you bad. This system has braked and steered for me several times in traffic when the person in front braked hard. Each time this has happened my wrists get twisted and it hurts like heck.....I have learned to really watch that thing in traffic.....I've tried to turn it off but to no avail..... :rockon:
Some of this technology can be quite annoying to me....

k1w1t1m

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Yes, my Toyota Landcruiser would brake heavily and tighten the seatbelts.

In the Ranger I have only experienced the warnings.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
I have seen the collision warning box pop up several times on my Ranger but no evasive action by the computer. I'm wondering if the system only does self braking if you have the adaptive cruise with the radar unit up front....and not just the camera system. On my Hyundai Kona Ultimate I even have pedestrian monitoring. It definitely uses the radar system to help make decisions on when to brake AND STEER for you....I tell you what....if you don't watch it that system will hurt you bad. This system has braked and steered for me several times in traffic when the person in front braked hard. Each time this has happened my wrists get twisted and it hurts like heck.....I have learned to really watch that thing in traffic.....I've tried to turn it off but to no avail..... :rockon:
Some of this technology can be quite annoying to me....
You should be able to turn off the automatic braking:

Adjusting Pre-Collision Assist Settings
You can adjust alert and distance alert sensitivity to one of three possible settings by using the information display control. See General Information (page 95).
You can switch the distance alert and indication function off using the information display controls. See General Information (page 95).
If required, you can switch active braking off using the information display controls. See General Information (page 95).

From owner’s manual.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
You should be able to turn off the automatic braking:

Adjusting Pre-Collision Assist Settings
You can adjust alert and distance alert sensitivity to one of three possible settings by using the information display control. See General Information (page 95).
You can switch the distance alert and indication function off using the information display controls. See General Information (page 95).
If required, you can switch active braking off using the information display controls. See General Information (page 95).

From owner’s manual.
Well I tell you what....I've been through the whole system and turned off everything I can find....changed the reaction setting to the longest. I have actually turned the system off but it still reacts....go figure.

OP
OP
WOADKIL

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
As I suspected, there's no one yet to share an actually autonomous self braking to avoid crashing...

Only seen it in action with crash test dummies...

Thanks for all your responses!

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
As I suspected, there's no one yet to share an actually autonomous self braking to avoid crashing...

Only seen it in action with crash test dummies...

Thanks for all your responses!
I was cut off really bad, a month after I bought it. It stopped and avoided the car in front of me.
Sponsored