Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
Right now I am trying to decide and justify to myself if I should go Ford Performance Parts kit, BDS kit with shocks, or the Eibach coilover kit but not use a rear block so that the truck sits level.

Anyway with experience, and a recommendation apperciated but please include why, what makes it great, or the "best bang" value in your opinion.

Thanks
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Right now I am trying to decide and justify to myself if I should go Ford Performance Parts kit, BDS kit with shocks, or the Eibach coilover kit but not use a rear block so that the truck sits level.

Anyway with experience, and a recommendation apperciated but please include why, what makes it great, or the "best bang" value in your opinion.

Thanks
Hey, Katie, members have put all of these on their individual trucks and discuss them in various threads on the site. My impression from reading these threads is that you cannot go wrong with any one of these three kits. For myself, I went with the Ford Performance Kit because I did not like the stock suspension and wanted to get a smoother and more controlled ride. But I did not want any extreme changes in the geometry that might lead to trouble down the line. And, it made sense to me to get a Ford product and have my trusted local dealer do the work, which also protects the warranty that came with the vehicle. I am extremely happy with this level, which provides a firm and controlled ride--you still feel the road, but it does not beat you up like it did before. The two extra inches in front height brings the truck nearly level but still leaves a slight forward rake, which I find comfortable sitting in the cabin and good-looking from outside. They are all good products, it just comes down to your individual preference. If you do go with the Ford kit, https://www.levittownfordparts.com/cat/2019-ford-ranger-ford-performance-parts.html has the best prices, as shown here:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
In my opinion if you are planning to do a lot of offroad even in Iowa I feel the Ford kit (Fox kit) would do best. The BDS suspension is really just a spacer kit up front and on these trucks a spacer kit makes the ride the same if not worse from stock. The Eibach kit is similar to the Fox kit but on paper doesn't compare to the Fox kit so fast offroad driving isn't a good idea with them. It's already well known that Fox makes good stuff and fell it would be the way to go in your setup.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
In my opinion if you are planning to do a lot of offroad even in Iowa I feel the Ford kit (Fox kit) would do best. The BDS suspension is really just a spacer kit up front and on these trucks a spacer kit makes the ride the same if not worse from stock. The Eibach kit is similar to the Fox kit but on paper doesn't compare to the Fox kit so fast offroad driving isn't a good idea with them. It's already well known that Fox makes good stuff and fell it would be the way to go in your setup.
Thank you, and Ranger_Marc I like the idea of an actual coilover as opposed to a spacer, I don't do a ton of hardcore offroading mostly for on the farm work, hunting, or fishing, but I don't like the mushy softness of the ride sometimes, sure its a little more comfy on the street but it feels wallowy when I hit harder bumps and I would like to tighten that up.

The FPP/Fox kit looks pretty cool, but how much does the dealer charge to install? I mean its like 2x the price of the Eibach kit and the same price as like some of the Old Man Emu and Fabtech long travel kits. Also how hard is the install? Can my SO do it on a lift ( we have access to a bay with a true lift and air tools ) or should I just let Ford do it? If so how much does Ford bend me over in labor at like $120/hr.?

Thanks guys!

Also on the Fox kit, it says they use Eibach springs, so is the strut and rear shocks that much better? https://www.stage3motorsports.com/9...0-IFP-Performance-Front-Coilovers-3-Lift.html

Also is there a reason to get the $1200 kit with rear shocks vs. The $900 front coil over kit that doesn't include rear shocks if I go with the Fox kit?

VS

THIS EIBACH KIT I also know I have to reuse my strut mounts and require a spring compressor (WHICH FOX SAYS THEY USE EIBACH SPRING): https://www.stage3motorsports.com/E...ck-Sport-Shock-Strut-Kit-0-3-of-Leveling.html

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thank you, and Ranger_Marc I like the idea of an actual coilover as opposed to a spacer, I don't do a ton of hardcore offroading mostly for on the farm work, hunting, or fishing, but I don't like the mushy softness of the ride sometimes, sure its a little more comfy on the street but it feels wallowy when I hit harder bumps and I would like to tighten that up.

The FPP/Fox kit looks pretty cool, but how much does the dealer charge to install? I mean its like 2x the price of the Eibach kit and the same price as like some of the Old Man Emu and Fabtach long travel kits. Also how hard is the install? Can my SO do it on a lift ( we have access to a bay with a true lift and air tools ) or should I just let Ford do it? If so how much does Ford bend me over in labor at like $120/hr.?

Thanks guys!
That is something to ask your dealership. Also after installation you have to get an alignment done to correct camber caster and toe.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the alignment Ill take to have done, Im just trying to decide what kit to get, I kind of wish had let my employer furlough me, I would be making almost 2x as much a week cause of the unemployment bonus..... hum get fired, get extra monies, build truck.

Tempting very tempting

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
honestly for fairly normal use like what you're describing, I'd have a hard time imagining any better bang for the buck than the Eibach shocks with stock springs.

I really don't think anyone will notice an improvement going for the coilover kits unless you're doing some serious off road driving, or just extremely sensitive to the way your truck rides. The eibach shocks supposedly have a huge improvement in ride quality and offer built in front leveling, which should be all most people need.

your SO should have no problem doing the install as long as you have access to a spring compressor

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
honestly for fairly normal use like what you're describing, I'd have a hard time imagining any better bang for the buck than the Eibach shocks with stock springs.

I really don't think anyone will notice an improvement going for the coilover kits unless you're doing some serious off road driving, or just extremely sensitive to the way your truck rides. The eibach shocks supposedly have a huge improvement in ride quality and offer built in front leveling, which should be all most people need.

your SO should have no problem doing the install as long as you have access to a spring compressor
I have not seen an Eibach that retains the factory springs, I have seen ones that retain the factory strut mounts but still come with a spring and shock combo which do also require a spring compressor which I don't have.

My truck is much to fluffy, wallowy especially on banked highway curves at 50mph is feels like to wants to break loose and has alot of oversteer. I want to eliminate that, get the front end level so it doesn't look saggy, and if possible retain the factory warranty.

From what its looking and the reviews I've read the Fox stage 1 kit seems to be extremely well regarded l and with Ford Pass points I come in at around $1400 installed.

Kind of falls under "buy once cry once!"

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have not seen an Eibach that retains the factory springs, I have seen ones that retain the factory strut mounts but still come with a spring and shock combo which do also require a spring compressor which I don't have.

My truck is much to fluffy, wallowy especially on banked highway curves at 50mph is feels like to wants to break loose and has alot of oversteer. I want to eliminate that, get the front end level so it doesn't look saggy, and if possible retain the factory warranty.

From what its looking and the reviews I've read the Fox stage 1 kit seems to be extremely well regarded l and with Ford Pass points I come in at around $1400 installed.

Kind of falls under "buy once cry once!"
you can buy the pieces of the eibach kit individually, 2X front shocks, and 2x rear shocks. they come with instructions for use with the stock springs, which I don't believe are much different than the eibach units, just a little shorter, though you can still get up to 3" lift in the front. you end up at a little under $500 for parts.

Fox is certainly great quality. If the price sounds good to you than go for it, I'm sure you won't regret it, and I'm sure overall its a better setup than the eibach, just a lot more $$ as well.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
you can buy the pieces of the eibach kit individually, 2X front shocks, and 2x rear shocks. they come with instructions for use with the stock springs, which I don't believe are much different than the eibach units, just a little shorter, though you can still get up to 3" lift in the front. you end up at a little under $500 for parts.

Fox is certainly great quality. If the price sounds good to you than go for it, I'm sure you won't regret it, and I'm sure overall its a better setup than the eibach, just a lot more $$ as well.

Yeah for the ease of effort and retainment of the factory warranty Fox Ford Factory Performance kit it is.

Benny ( From Levittown took good care of me. )

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm looking at either the Eibach springs an struts or Eibach struts with stock springs an a spacer. I'm probably gonna do my own install an don't have the spring tool. I've read you can take your parts to a shop they will compress the springs an install the parts for around $50. The tool is $25/30 at harbor freight an that might be a lot of spring for a cheap compressor.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm looking at either the Eibach springs an struts or Eibach struts with stock springs an a spacer. I'm probably gonna do my own install an don't have the spring tool. I've read you can take your parts to a shop they will compress the springs an install the parts for around $50. The tool is $25/30 at harbor freight an that might be a lot of spring for a cheap compressor.
why run eibach with a spacer? you can already get 3" lift with the stock springs on their shocks. Also if you put a strut spacer on top of the eibach shocks, with their longer extended length I have a feeling you're gonna risk breaking a CV at full extension. and more than 3" lift on the front of a ranger you're gonna need to start looking at control arm relocation/ diff drop, etc...

if you have a shop you can take the springs/shocks to, that's the way to do it. the crappy hand spring compressor tools you can get at any store are a pain to use, and can also be kind of dangers if you don't get them on just right.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
you can already get 3" lift with the stock springs on their shocks
I thought the spring determined ride height an the strut just controlled movement. I'll have to check their website an install instructions.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
in general that's correct. but on these trucks the spring is supported by a seat/perch on the body of the shock, and the body of the eibach shock has several different points where the spring seat can be positioned.

https://eibach.com/us/1935/E60-35-048-01-10-FORD-Ranger-pro-truck-sport-shock
That shock does not provide 3ins of lift, it allows you to run up to a 3in lift over factory, but without lifted coilovers/springs you will not actually have a lift just be able to lift your truck without needing to change that shock.

Stage 3 has the Eibach kit i referenced about that includes 2in lift coil overs and the shocks for like $600 which is a good deal if you have a spring compressor and dont care about using factory ford parts.

KATIEKINZ
Sponsored

Last edited: