hersh

hersh

First Name
josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up having a local shop get me sorted. Agree with others that if you don't feel comfortable don't do it! End of the day I have no shame in giving it a go, but just a little above my pay grade.
Sponsored

OP
OP
hersh

hersh

First Name
josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I've had one side of mine apart twice trying to put strut spacers on without success.
The first time my bud helped me, got the ball joint off but not the tie rod end. The next weekend my bud was not available to help but I got the tie rod end off with a gear puller. I still couldn't push the lower control arm down far enough by myself to get the strut out. Just going to save up some money and pay a shop the $450 they quoted me for install and alignment. If they have to unbolt the lower control arm it's no big deal since they'll align it anyway.
Sounds like a decent price. IMO def. worth the cost!

OP
OP
hersh

hersh

First Name
josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Most of the videos out there are for the aluminum knuckle and it looks easy because with the aluminum knuckle, it is - if you have cast iron, it will require more effort, more tools, and more knowledge.
Mine was cast iron, thanks for the reply. You are spot on, it was going to take me more tools, time, knowledge than I felt comfortable with. Found a local shop to get it done for me.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was cast iron, thanks for the reply. You are spot on, it was going to take me more tools, time, knowledge than I felt comfortable with. Found a local shop to get it done for me.
I’m glad I was able to provide some direction and happy that you found a shop to help you out. Now get out and enjoy your truck.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up having a local shop get me sorted. Agree with others that if you don't feel comfortable don't do it! End of the day I have no shame in giving it a go, but just a little above my pay grade.
Hi Josh,

I applaud your effort...and to realize you needed help! You learned something and that is always good!

A bit of a back story...My engineers sometimes made mistakes and were so upset by the mistake...So what did I do...Take them to the Woodshed?...not! We went to a restaurant and celebrated the mistake...because you learn from your mistakes....What was that all about...the engineers were not afraid to fail and out of this came some absolute great engineering that was out of the box.... I guess that was one of the reasons I had so many engineers trying to rotate into my organization...

Josh, you learned...and that is good! Now get out there and enjoy your Ranger...It has a great heritage of being Ford Tough!

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
hersh

hersh

First Name
josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Hi Josh,

I applaud your effort...and to realize you needed help! You learned something and that is always good!

A bit of a back story...My engineers sometimes made mistakes and were so upset by the mistake...So what did I do...Take them to the Woodshed?...not! We went to a restaurant and celebrated the mistake...because you learn from your mistakes....What was that all about...the engineers were not afraid to fail and out of this came some absolute great engineering that was out of the box.... I guess that was one of the reasons I had so many engineers trying to rotate into my organization...

Josh, you learned...and that is good! Now get out there and enjoy your Ranger...It has a great heritage of being Ford Tough!

Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil!
Sponsored