Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bret,
I launched Tremor....It was a niche product using aftermarket parts, installed as an off line product after the initial build with radio delete. Definitely a boom box on wheels. The RCA connectors were not up to OEM requirements as as such we had to process deviations to our standards to produce this product. I did my best and it appeared to be a hit, but I hated it as I hate these stoplight boom box encounters where my windows and teeth fillings rattle.

I think I told a story here in another thread about Tremor prototypes shaking out plant line equipment at Edison that needed replacing. The back story was the first Edison Tremor prototype had a terrible rattle in the cab. The second one did too as did the third. We tracked it to the right rear cab mount being loose and resulting in the trapped flat washer rattling on the floorpan. I had a FCG Trainee (Ford College Graduate) and I told him to walk back up the line to Cab deck and look for the right rear cab bolt to be installed...the walk back to where it was not and find the operator. Then come back and get me and we will see what is going on. So Wally H. finds the operator and then guy tells him to get me as he had been bitching to the plant that his air gun was toast. So I go back with Wally and the operator was pleading with me to fix the problem...I looked up at the air line where it connected overhead and there was a pressure regulator with a glass bowl water trap that was completely black and full. I had to wait until the next meeting with the plant manager to bring up the subject...He was so pissed he grabbed me out of the meeting to take him to the line which I did using his golf cart. We then hopped back into the golf cart and back to the meeting...He blew past the conference table and picked up his phone and barked into the phone and slammed the phone down. A few minutes of silence (very uncomfortable) this area supervisor came into the office and got a performance review in front of all of us. There was a yard audit of all units and a bunch of repairmen/women and Millwrights running around with torque wrenches fixing trucks before going to the shipping lot. We were lucky as they started finding units that were okay that were earlier in the shift, so nothing reached the dealer or customer. Next day as we were walking the line the operator called out and gave us a thumbs up and pointed to the new regulator, air line and gun.... Sheesh...and so it goes....

Did not like Tremor, but it did find a problem before it got in customer hands!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for another good story about life in an assembly plant. We called them FRLs (Filter Regulator Lubricator). They did their job if they were maintained, but as you said they were usually mounted over head, and out of sight is often out of mind. As we have discussed here before, most pneumatic tools have been replaced by electronic torque tools and the quality has improved as a result. :thumbsup: ?
Sponsored

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
That's what this Ranger is now a placeholder
"Underwhelming" is an understatement, as there does not seem to be any real enhancement to performance such as tuning, lifting, leveling, suspension upgrades, etc., which means you could get more bang out of the stage one and two options from Ford Performance's off-road packages--or with aftermarket modifications, as many of us do already. Hopefully, this is just intended as a placeholder while we are waiting for the next generation Rangers and Raptors!

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly the most interesting thing about the Tremor is the electrical expansion panel which basically nobody is doing; and it's barely a footnote. Not having to hack vehicle electrical is big. But then they mounted it to the only spot you have to mount accessories (phones/tablets/radios/gopro/gps/etc).

So I like the electrical panel, I wish they'd mount it somewhere else, and I want them to develop that tray into a proper accessory mount point.

I'm curious how they increased the front travel - did they bolt on after market control arms, fabricate different ones, or use a different method entirely?

Running boards and tires and fancy embroidered seats for an offroading rig and miscellaneous componentry does not interest me. That's all replaceable. Let's see better tire clearance, a native mount to bolt an air compressor to or (heaven forbid) run power into the bed like every other truck maker in the what. You're Ford. You practically invented trucks, and you overlooked the bed completely. How does that happen. It's not a dump truck, it's a pickup truck. Get with the program.

BLERGH. /rant

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
"Underwhelming" is an understatement, as there does not seem to be any real enhancement to performance such as tuning, lifting, leveling, suspension upgrades, etc., which means you could get more bang out of the stage one and two options from Ford Performance's off-road packages--or with aftermarket modifications, as many of us do already. Hopefully, this is just intended as a placeholder while we are waiting for the next generation Rangers and Raptors!
Now that they have released the actual content of the new package, I must take back this comment. The earlier information on which this comment was based did not include any information about the the lifting, suspension upgrades, etc. that are now said to be included in the package, meaning that it really does enhance performance, after all. This looks to sit somewhere between the current FX4 and the Ranger Raptor of our dreams Stateside in the near future! So, maybe not all the way to "overwhelming," but definitely not "underwhelming" any more!

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
I happily have one coming in March. Ordered back in early January. For those who think it isn't worth the $ that's why there are different models. I'm very happy with having chosen one and reviews were nice to hear but wouldn't have made a difference to me.

Poky

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I happily have one coming in March. Ordered back in early January. For those who think it isn't worth the $ that's why there are different models. I'm very happy with having chosen one and reviews were nice to hear but wouldn't have made a difference to me.
I finally found a local dealer with an allocation. Got a Carbonized Grey ordered.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
As long as you are happy who gives a rats ass about opinions....right?
Just like AH's, everybody has one...lol
I have a 19' Lariat and really don't know anything about the Tremor package. I'm guessing it's more suspension than anything else. Most of the suspension (except rear shocks) is not easy to work on at home unless you are setup well. Getting a better suspension in your new Ranger is nothing short a of a huge bonus! (FX4 suspension sux) With that being said, I won't order a special package with my next Ranger in 2023 (Yes, I will get another one). I will however have the dealership install my aftermarket suspension, tires, wheels, and whatever else I can get them too (like a catch can) and finance that in with the truck. I would love to start with as many mods as possible and go from there.....
Your going to LOVE your new Ranger!!!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
As long as you are happy who gives a rats ass about opinions....right?
Just like AH's, everybody has one...lol
I have a 19' Lariat and really don't know anything about the Tremor package. I'm guessing it's more suspension than anything else. Most of the suspension (except rear shocks) is not easy to work on at home unless you are setup well. Getting a better suspension in your new Ranger is nothing short a of a huge bonus! (FX4 suspension sux) With that being said, I won't order a special package with my next Ranger in 2023 (Yes, I will get another one). I will however have the dealership install my aftermarket suspension, tires, wheels, and whatever else I can get them too (like a catch can) and finance that in with the truck. I would love to start with as many mods as possible and go from there.....
Your going to LOVE your new Ranger!!!
I am also very interested in the Ranger Tremor, mainly to see if its suspension is so much better that we won't need to go with aftermarket systems down the line. Guys who are getting their Tremors now, or in the near future, please let us know how they ride (on road as well as off)! The reviewers in the press seem pleased, but I would rather have it from our forum members!