Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'll admit it... I LOVE the Tacos, but only on a platter with rice and beans,
Hi Ron,

Come down here to Los Avaves...My Treat....Taco plate with rice and beans cannot be beat...Wonderful!!!:like:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retied
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I am seeing more Rangers everyday. I think the folks who are wanting to trade in their Tacoma's are not drinking the Toyota kool-aid are buying a Ranger like I did. I bought my Ranger on August 23rd and have almost 3200 miles on it and my 2012 Tacoma still sits on the lot with a bloated price. In our travels we have noticed late model Tacoma's at Ford dealership
https://www.bickford.net/used-inven...acted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-make-13
It's definitely be interesting to see what happens--Toyota resale value will only stay high as long as there is more demand than supply. If the resale value tanks, there goes the most often heard reason to buy one. If sales tank then the new price will go down, pushing used prices even lower.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
I'm surprised by the lack of testing in the magazines, like Truck and Motor Trend. The Tacoma is always there, and ususally finishes last, and the Chevy is the darling of the editors. Why no Ranger? No wonder sales are not hot!

Jayven

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.heavendesignsllc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Folks,

From my Retiree Newsletter:

Combined F-Series and Ranger pickups sold over 240,000 pickups in the third quarter, making for the best overall pickup third-quarter sales in 14 years. With the addition of Ranger, year-to-date pickup sales are up 6 percent, while F-Series continues to expand its leadership position by 200,000 trucks this year.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the update Phil!

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I am seeing more Rangers everyday. I think the folks who are wanting to trade in their Tacoma's are not drinking the Toyota kool-aid are buying a Ranger like I did. I bought my Ranger on August 23rd and have almost 3200 miles on it and my 2012 Tacoma still sits on the lot with a bloated price. In our travels we have noticed late model Tacoma's at Ford dealership
https://www.bickford.net/used-inven...acted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-make-13

That is weird. It is hard to even find a used Tacoma here and prices are way high because of it. They will barely budge on price of a new one either. Our Ford dealer has no Tacomas.

I think that will change when Toyota opens the new plant in December flooding the market with Tacos.
Demand dropped for the first time in a while in Sept for the Taco. It will hurt the resale value for sure when they start producing more.

CHenry

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT - FX4, 2015 VW Jetta, 2014 HD Roadking
Occupation
Retired
I purchased mine in August, I wasn't seeing any on the road ...... In the last month, I see three or four a day so they are finally
getting out, maybe incentives or lease prices are more favorable !!

I was a little setback at the $45K sticker on the Lariat, the one I purchased was an FX4, Super Crew, 302A package listed for $39K
I got a ton of incentives, fair trade on my 10-year-old Ranger and that was in August ...If you're looking, nows the time.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is weird. It is hard to even find a used Tacoma here and prices are way high because of it. They will barely budge on price of a new one either. Our Ford dealer has no Tacomas.
Around here the 2019s are at least $4k off, and there is a lot of 2019 inventory still on the lot. I find it hard to believe they aren't going to slashing those prices once the 2020s start rolling in, because who wants to pay about the same when they added so many little things to the 2020s?

As far as used prices, I think ironically part of that is people willing to pay a premium for the last generation propping up the prices. Around here a 2012 with 60k+ is worth about the same as a reasonable mileage 2016, and just a bit less than a low mileage 2017. I suspect that won't continue as the supply of 2016+ trade-ins increases. Resale value is a gamble, not a guaranteed return.

R G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
35 MG PB thru 2011 R8
Strictly anecdotal, but a local northern end of SoCal dealer, who sells a lot of trucks, says the Ranger is not moving well. he thinks folks prefer the Government Motors offerings. I'm wondering if it's the lack of a V6. I could live with the four, but I hate that small gas tank, and will keep saying so until or unless Ford does something about it on the next version.

In the mean time, my 14 year old Tundra is as reliable as time itself, owes me nothing, and other than the entertainment system, gives almost nothing away to the new Ranger. C'mon Ford, I don't need three million tons of towing power, I just need your $40k truck to offer something better than my old workhorse. Even though the Toyo only gets 17.5 mpg, its massive tank means it will still out range the Ranger.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Strictly anecdotal, but a local northern end of SoCal dealer, who sells a lot of trucks, says the Ranger is not moving well. he thinks folks prefer the Government Motors offerings. I'm wondering if it's the lack of a V6. I could live with the four, but I hate that small gas tank, and will keep saying so until or unless Ford does something about it on the next version.

In the mean time, my 14 year old Tundra is as reliable as time itself, owes me nothing, and other than the entertainment system, gives almost nothing away to the new Ranger. C'mon Ford, I don't need three million tons of towing power, I just need your $40k truck to offer something better than my old workhorse. Even though the Toyo only gets 17.5 mpg, its massive tank means it will still out range the Ranger.
There's no doubt the Ranger would sell better with a 6 cyl option. The next generation in '23 will have one.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm wondering if it's the lack of a V6
Almost certainly. Some people will try the new powertrain and see that it works well, others simply will not. It would be foolish for ford to slash prices to try to tempt that second group with a value play rather than just selling at a higher margin for people who actually take a test drive. I think ford is confident that the ranger drivetrain will prove itself, and they'd rather not hurt future profitably unnecessarily. (Which, in my opinion, is a lot more sensible than turning the new ranger into a crappy fleet vehicle and trying to reposition it later.)

C'mon Ford, I don't need three million tons of towing power, I just need your $40k truck to offer something better than my old workhorse.
You realize that's unrealistic, right? If you don't care about newer technology or fuel efficiency, and the old truck is working fine, what could any manufacturer possibly offer to make buying a new truck worthwhile? Without a reason to buy a new car, the only sensible option is to not buy a new car.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Around here the 2019s are at least $4k off, and there is a lot of 2019 inventory still on the lot. I find it hard to believe they aren't going to slashing those prices once the 2020s start rolling in, because who wants to pay about the same when they added so many little things to the 2020s?

As far as used prices, I think ironically part of that is people willing to pay a premium for the last generation propping up the prices. Around here a 2012 with 60k+ is worth about the same as a reasonable mileage 2016, and just a bit less than a low mileage 2017. I suspect that won't continue as the supply of 2016+ trade-ins increases. Resale value is a gamble, not a guaranteed return.
2020 Tacos are out.
Yea Inventory is low here. I went to a dealer to test drive a Taco and they did not many left, another dealer has some stock but they are huge dealer.
Used are almost impossible to get and they are almost the same price as new. It is crazy.

Look here two weeks ago they had no used ones and now they have three, probably traded in on a 2020.
https://www.wildetoyota.com/used-vehicles/?_dFR[model][0]=Tacoma%204WD&_dFR[type][0]=Used&_dFR[type][1]=Certified%20Used&_paymentType=our_price

30,995 for a TRD off road used and they have a new one for 33,286. Crazy.
Unless paying cash the used will cost the same because interest rates on used is higher.

As far as 2020 Tacos I saw something on the gouging going on were people are paying over sticker on them... Some times way over.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't blame the dealers for making hay while the sun shines, but the buyers are nuts.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's definitely be interesting to see what happens--Toyota resale value will only stay high as long as there is more demand than supply. If the resale value tanks, there goes the most often heard reason to buy one. If sales tank then the new price will go down, pushing used prices even lower.
Yep, there will only be one reason left to buy one ... the slow revving V6! Or the $10k snorkel package!