First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I hope this doesn't get deleted since Ford Pass is gathering data from everybody using it.

Think about what is being said here. Whether you're ok with it or not, it's worth sharing for folks that really haven't stopped to think about it.

Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
John, you’re not the only one. What many don’t realize and won’t until they lose it is giving ultimate power to a few big brother types. These empires are not interested in your well being, to the contrary they’re slowly chipping away at your values, your decision making and financing decisions. They undercut the competition until they’re the only game left. No choices, no say, all crap with an increased price.

Going back to the days of pay TV’s introduction. The reason we payed for it is so we didn’t have to watch commercial’s. Here we are!!! That’s scope creep in example!

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
As with most technology, 5G can be used for good or for ill. This guy seems to have a sore spot for Bill Gates, but he isn't the one driving it I don't think.

Some of what he said, IMO is just hyperbole to scare people, some is true. It is a big reason why there is a huge need for privacy laws in the US which many people seem hesitant to enact (I don't understand why).

Whether you like it or not, a lot of this "online all the time" stuff is coming - but you do have a choice in how much you participate in it. I won't put a "smart" speaker in my house - the cell phones are bad enough but the convenience outweighs the negatives for me. For some people, the convenience or the utility of some of this stuff is a good trade off - or they just don't think about how the data can be abused.

One thing I read long ago - if you aren't paying for a service then YOU are the product. You ARE paying for the service - just not with money - you are paying for it with your data.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
One thing I read long ago - if you aren't paying for a service then YOU are the product. You ARE paying for the service - just not with money - you are paying for it with your data.
I get your point.... But you are paying for internet access, your cell phone, Alexa, yadda - yadda - yadda.

But you are not paying for Ford Pass... :bandit:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get your point.... But you are paying for internet access, your cell phone, Alexa, yadda - yadda - yadda.

But you are not paying for Ford Pass... :bandit:
But you are not forced to use FordPasss - you can disable it. And this is critical and why I think privacy related laws are desperately needed - to ensure we continue to have choices and are not opted into these kinds of things by default. Ford gives you incentive to sign up by giving you the 42,000 points for activating it. They could just as easily have signed you up without your knowledge and/or explicit consent. Many companies want to do that.

One of the best ways to combat all the tracking is to "poison the well" - meaning - it is VERY difficult to get around all tracking, so give it dummy/incorrect data which makes the overall picture of you incorrect. Many security people recommend this approach as being the most effective - more effective than trying to not be tracked at all.

Give this site a whirl: https://trackthis.link/

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
They could just as easily have signed you up without your knowledge and/or explicit consent.
How do you know they didn't.... I mean, really, how do you know?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly? I don't. However, there are a LOT of security/privacy oriented researchers who look for that kind of thing and when they find it, it is a big deal. I would be extremely surprised if Ford did that without explicit consent.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
It's clear if the telematics unit is disabled...no power to transmit anything.
It's a different question if Ford techs also DOWNLOAD that information when servicing.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It's clear if the telematics unit is disabled...no power to transmit anything.
It's a different question if Ford techs also DOWNLOAD that information when servicing.