First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Government
Ok, here’s the thing….I need help. Wondering if anyone has installed these over the factory “toughbed” spray in liner. These are the part numbers

VKB3Z-17N004-B
VKB3Z-17N004-A

Issue is, Ford decided it’s best to not take the 5 minutes to remove the tie down hardware 1st. This causes of course, the bed liner to be sprayed over everything. So, question is…..has anyone removed the tie down cleats without damaging or cracking the bed liner? I’ve attached photos of the wonderful spray job. Thank you in advance.

638BF1F6-545A-4BD3-9AFD-CDA69DD4534A.jpeg

0D95072B-420B-4CF5-8110-92137E33EE0A.jpeg
Sponsored

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Yes many of us have done so. You need to carefully cut around the bolt heads with a sharp utility knife so that the spray on liner doesn't tear when removing the bolts.

OP
OP
ryanhuba

ryanhuba

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Government
Yes many of us have done so. You need to carefully cut around the bolt heads with a sharp utility knife so that the spray on liner doesn't tear when removing the bolts.
Thanks you, I guess that’s step one. Any chance you know if they sprayed under the tie down bracket or just said screw it and sprayed over it without 1st removing? Basically I’m Wondering if I’m going to removing spray liner (besides on the torx screws) down to paint in those areas where the tie downs meet the truck bed wall.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Ford installs the tie down brackets and then they spray the bed liner. I forgot to mention that you will also want to cut around the tie downs too since you have to remove them to install the swing box brackets.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I other words you’re lucky if it’s even painted underneath

Correct, they won't have any bed liner under them. I had to cut around the bolt and around the tie down brackets too when I added a swing box. If you don't cut around the screws and bracket, you will tear the lining material.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have both swing boxes and the Ford spray in liner.
As said, you will need to remove the existing brackets by cutting around the bolt.

You will need to use a 'tap' to clean out other bolt holes.
If you don't have the middle tie downs, you will need to clean those holes out.
You will also need to clean our the bolt holes for the swing box mounting brackets.
IIRC you will need both a 6x1.00 and 8x1.25 size tap. I had never used a tap before, but found it easy.
Sponsored